Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance issues / questions for AA redemption on Etihad / EY (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage allowance issues / questions for AA redemption on Etihad / EY (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by i_gtgo
Etihad can view it in their system. Especially the one they use at check-in. Anyway it's AA that issues the ticket so they need to publish EY's baggage policy which is usually automated. But instances where the system drops the ball, it's best to call in and have the note inserted.
This is absolutely correct. Since AA is issuing the ticket, AA has to add the baggage allowance to the Endorsements section of the ticket and this will require a ticket reissue if not done initially. AA can simply copy-paste the info from the EY website about allowed baggage for the travel class of the ticket -- but if AA (or any other airline) doesn't do this, then you will have to pay EY's baggage rates (which are several hundred dollars per bag).

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Etihad may be able to read notes, but it is irrelevent - AA does not get to dictate to EY what its baggage allowance is

The EY booking will have details of the allowance - if paranoid, can phone EY and ask what the allowance is
This is incorrect. There has been a known issue of EY awards (booked with AA miles, on aa.com, issued as an AA ticket) not having baggage endorsements and passengers not finding out until check-in (it happened to me just last week). EY will not see baggage allowance details if AA didn't put them there to begin with.

Originally Posted by i_gtgo
I've actually dealt with this issue multiple times. Don't take it for granted that the check-in agent will allow you the online baggage allowance as the issuing airline needs to put that information on the ticket. So what I ended up doing is asking an AA rep to put a note in the reservation for the baggage allowance whereby the check-in agent would be able see it at the airport. Then I'd call Etihad to confirm that they see it too. If no notes are there, they have every right to charge you for the bags as it needs to be clearly indicated on the ticket and they don't assume anything in these instances.
This is correct. Although I'd probably start with EY to verify that there's a baggage allowance present and then follow up with AA if not -- but either way works.

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I don't believe a non-alliance partner like Etihad can view special remarks that AA leaves in their system. Plus, just because AA is issuing the ticket, doesn't mean a special remark from another airline overrides the operating airline.
This is incorrect. EY can see Endorsement notes (I've seen for myself what ticket information is viewable on EY agent screens, and where that info should be. And what we're talking about here is not overriding EY baggage limits; in some cases tickets can be legitimately issued without a baggage allowance, so EY depends on the Endorsement information to assess fees where applicable.

Not at all true - for a purely EY itinerary , or one where EY's allowances apply, Etihad has a published baggage allowance policy at https://m.etihad.com/en/information/...on/allowances/ and this is what will be permitted

An AA agent can put any notes in that it likes - they have no relevance becuase AA does not have any authority to tell EY what its baggage allowance is
This is incorrect. Since AA awards are AA-issued and not EY-issued tickets, EY will adhere to the baggage allowance listed as an endorsement. If nothing is listed, baggage fees will apply.

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Where do they charge $300 for checked bags? Have you even gone to EY's website and actually checked the baggage allowance? Doesn't sound like it. I don't know why you're putting all your eggs in AA's email basket, and completely disregarding EY's actual baggage policy.
See above re: AA-issued vs EY-issued tickets.

That is the cost for excess baggage over the baggage allowance
This is incorrect. For one 25-pound bag (i.e., not overweight, not oversized, not special equipment etc), EY was going to charge me US $375 to have it checked from AUH-HKG (I was flying in J). It took a 70+ minute phone call with the EXP line to get AA to finally reissue the ticket with the baggage endorsement listed. That baggage endorsement was the same info from EY's website, but it had to notated on the ticket in order for me not to be charged.
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:36 am

Stupid question, but the endorsements section would be on the confirmation email from AA? (EY award flight booked with AA miles)?

At the bottom of my confirmation email (below the advertising for rental cars), it says the following:

Baggage Information

Baggage charges for your itinerary will be governed by Etihad Airways BAG ALLOWANCE -JFKMLE-02 Pieces/ Etihad Airways /EACH PIECE UP TO 70 POUNDS/32 KILOGRAMS AND UP TO 62 LINEAR INCHES/158 LINEAR CENTIMETERS

CARRY ON ALLOWANCE JFKAUH AUHMLE-02 Pieces/12KG/ Etihad Airways ADDITIONAL ALLOWANCES AND/OR DISCOUNTS MAY APPLY

so I'm assuming I'm good to go/OK?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:45 am

Just saw this on OMAT, which seems to suggest that it also depends on where the origin/destination is:

https://asklucky.onemileatatime.com/...emption.36478/
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by luv2vacay
Stupid question, but the endorsements section would be on the confirmation email from AA? (EY award flight booked with AA miles)?

At the bottom of my confirmation email (below the advertising for rental cars), it says the following:

Baggage Information

Baggage charges for your itinerary will be governed by Etihad Airways BAG ALLOWANCE -JFKMLE-02 Pieces/ Etihad Airways /EACH PIECE UP TO 70 POUNDS/32 KILOGRAMS AND UP TO 62 LINEAR INCHES/158 LINEAR CENTIMETERS

CARRY ON ALLOWANCE JFKAUH AUHMLE-02 Pieces/12KG/ Etihad Airways ADDITIONAL ALLOWANCES AND/OR DISCOUNTS MAY APPLY

so I'm assuming I'm good to go/OK?
Yes, you should be fine. I did a comparison of confirmation emails that I received regarding my flight last week; the original confirmation from May 2019 had no baggage information of any kind listed whereas the reissued confirmation had a Baggage Information section extremely similar to yours.
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WanderingGent

This is incorrect. Since AA awards are AA-issued and not EY-issued tickets, EY will adhere to the baggage allowance listed as an endorsement. If nothing is listed, baggage fees will apply.

See above re: AA-issued vs EY-issued tickets.

Wow - I see what you're saying now. This is just insane and quite unbelievable IMO. This is just bad faith and flat out crooked behavior on the part of EY to take advantage of an IT glitch (an AA IT shortcoming - who would've thought) to extort thousands of dollars from customers. EY damn well knows their usual baggage allowance. Extremely shady behavior on their part to take advantage of passengers like this. Makes me very leery to fly them again.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I have upcoming AA award flights on EY - how can I check my endorsements? No more TripCase and printing the ticket from AA's website prints the web page (thanks for that help, AA).
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:07 pm

I just called up AA regarding my award flight from Australia to Europe and while Etihad still isn't showing any baggage allowance on their website, AA told me on the phone there is baggage allowance associated with my ticket (the agent looked it up in their system) and that the Etihad check-in agent will be able to see the same information.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:36 am

So maybe there isn't an AA restriction on origin/destination (although hard to tell if this was an exception or what):
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31519666-post1274.html

I'm a tad confused as to what the rules really are, but I guess I *should* check my ticket from EY's website to see what *it* shows, just in case.
haha
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:52 am

Late last night I butted heads with AA for hours and multiple reps (and finally, a supervisor) but no one understood what I was talking about and they felt I'm "wrong/crazy".

The AA supervisor agreed he’d research on it and call me back in a couple of hours. After about 2 hours he called back as promised (shocking!). Tickets were reissued with "40K" wording in baggage allowance.

Lessons:

1) This is real. Don’t believe it otherwise and wait for day of travel.

2) Check Etihad.com (and your AA eticket receipt) to make sure your AA-issued EY flights show the correct checked baggage allowances. If it does not, it must be fixed one way or another.

3) I spoke in length via EY and they are 100% aware of this and have (supposedly) been asking AA to fix it. EY has even narrowed it down that this glitch is happening with EY awards booked online via AA.com.

4) Reissuing the tickets seem to fix the glitch. Getting an AA rep to have their helpdesk reissue tickets is a whole different story.

5) if your tickets does not show a baggage allowance on EY end - EY will make you pay absurd checked baggage fees - you can be sure of that.

Thanks WanderingGent for the heads up on this, otherwise I wouldn't have paid much mind to the missing baggage endorsement.

Another tid-bit: on the EY eTicket receipt, typically it shows a "NOT VALID BEFORE" and "NOT VALID AFTER" date. The "before" date represents the date of travel; and "after" date is typically one year from the travel date. These particular eTicket receipts show the date of travel for both "before" and "after". Not anything to worry about, I imagine, but it is interesting.
WanderingGent and luv2vacay like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
I have upcoming AA award flights on EY - how can I check my endorsements? No more TripCase and printing the ticket from AA's website prints the web page (thanks for that help, AA).
Find it on your ticket confirmation email, as listed below:

Originally Posted by luv2vacay

Baggage Information

CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:45 pm

Just tried to get this fixed again and the AA rep spoke to a supervisor who said this is a known issue, and Etihad check-in agents know not to charge. The agent and I both agreed that that might be true in even the majority of cases, but would still be risky if you get the wrong check-in agent. Unfortunately she said she couldn't re-issue the ticket without more space being available, or risking losing the seats.

Unsure what to do now. Could go carry-on only but I'd rather not. Could assume everything will be fine and plan on calling AA at check-in if necessary, but that still seems slightly risky.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:20 pm

Does this apply if I originally called Fiji and had the flight put on hold. Then I called and had the ticket issued?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:37 pm

Update on my post above. When checking the EY manage my booking reservation it shows the baggage allowance for each flight. So I assume I am good to go. Thanks for this thread. I would have never thought to check.
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:41 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Ok, so I posted this on the AA's EY master thread

Rang AA, they confirmed baggage is 50kgs (we are flying Apartments). EY online says "buy baggage" and when I rang EY's call centre, they advised no baggage is attached to the ticket. I had a feeling the EY agent I spoke to is aware of this 'baggage' issue and suggested I ring AA to resolve.

FWIW we have four tickets with the same issue and we made our bookings online.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:14 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Spoke to AA again, again they confirm they see 50kgs on my booking, then advised that I had looking at EY online and spoken to EY who both confirm no baggage.

AAgent says then contacts EY whilst I wait, to double check, and then a note is added to reservation saying 50kgs is OK.

I am a bit skeptical about this, but given we are not flying until next July. I'll give it a few days before calling back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.