FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Baggage allowance issues / questions for AA redemption on Etihad / EY (merged)
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:05 am
WanderingGent

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by i_gtgo
Etihad can view it in their system. Especially the one they use at check-in. Anyway it's AA that issues the ticket so they need to publish EY's baggage policy which is usually automated. But instances where the system drops the ball, it's best to call in and have the note inserted.
This is absolutely correct. Since AA is issuing the ticket, AA has to add the baggage allowance to the Endorsements section of the ticket and this will require a ticket reissue if not done initially. AA can simply copy-paste the info from the EY website about allowed baggage for the travel class of the ticket -- but if AA (or any other airline) doesn't do this, then you will have to pay EY's baggage rates (which are several hundred dollars per bag).

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Etihad may be able to read notes, but it is irrelevent - AA does not get to dictate to EY what its baggage allowance is

The EY booking will have details of the allowance - if paranoid, can phone EY and ask what the allowance is
This is incorrect. There has been a known issue of EY awards (booked with AA miles, on aa.com, issued as an AA ticket) not having baggage endorsements and passengers not finding out until check-in (it happened to me just last week). EY will not see baggage allowance details if AA didn't put them there to begin with.

Originally Posted by i_gtgo
I've actually dealt with this issue multiple times. Don't take it for granted that the check-in agent will allow you the online baggage allowance as the issuing airline needs to put that information on the ticket. So what I ended up doing is asking an AA rep to put a note in the reservation for the baggage allowance whereby the check-in agent would be able see it at the airport. Then I'd call Etihad to confirm that they see it too. If no notes are there, they have every right to charge you for the bags as it needs to be clearly indicated on the ticket and they don't assume anything in these instances.
This is correct. Although I'd probably start with EY to verify that there's a baggage allowance present and then follow up with AA if not -- but either way works.

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I don't believe a non-alliance partner like Etihad can view special remarks that AA leaves in their system. Plus, just because AA is issuing the ticket, doesn't mean a special remark from another airline overrides the operating airline.
This is incorrect. EY can see Endorsement notes (I've seen for myself what ticket information is viewable on EY agent screens, and where that info should be. And what we're talking about here is not overriding EY baggage limits; in some cases tickets can be legitimately issued without a baggage allowance, so EY depends on the Endorsement information to assess fees where applicable.

Not at all true - for a purely EY itinerary , or one where EY's allowances apply, Etihad has a published baggage allowance policy at https://m.etihad.com/en/information/...on/allowances/ and this is what will be permitted

An AA agent can put any notes in that it likes - they have no relevance becuase AA does not have any authority to tell EY what its baggage allowance is
This is incorrect. Since AA awards are AA-issued and not EY-issued tickets, EY will adhere to the baggage allowance listed as an endorsement. If nothing is listed, baggage fees will apply.

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Where do they charge $300 for checked bags? Have you even gone to EY's website and actually checked the baggage allowance? Doesn't sound like it. I don't know why you're putting all your eggs in AA's email basket, and completely disregarding EY's actual baggage policy.
See above re: AA-issued vs EY-issued tickets.

That is the cost for excess baggage over the baggage allowance
This is incorrect. For one 25-pound bag (i.e., not overweight, not oversized, not special equipment etc), EY was going to charge me US $375 to have it checked from AUH-HKG (I was flying in J). It took a 70+ minute phone call with the EXP line to get AA to finally reissue the ticket with the baggage endorsement listed. That baggage endorsement was the same info from EY's website, but it had to notated on the ticket in order for me not to be charged.