Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When the fare goes down on your exact itinerary, will AA give a credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2023, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold

Just asking FTers experience about getting a credit when the fare drops on your itinerary.
Old May 28, 2023, 10:44 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
Just asking FTers experience about getting a credit when the fare drops on your itinerary.
You can call, but I usually just cancel and rebook. Just don't use an automated service, as that's now against the TOS.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Agree about the cancel and rebook, but what is an "automated service"?
Old May 29, 2023, 1:41 am

As long as you don't have a change fee (e.g. not basic economy and ticket doesn't originate in the few regions that have change fees), you can cancel and rebook.
Old May 29, 2023, 4:31 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
I cancel and rebook if I become aware of a fare drop
Old May 29, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
You can also just call in and request a Trip Credit for the price difference. No need to cancel anything.
apeortdz, FrogProf and Antarius like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just be careful. The trip credit you get can only be used on NEW bookings. So if, for example you change your flight to a less expensive one or the price goes down by $200, and then later you change again and the price goes up by $200 you will have to fund that with NEW money, you can’t use that trip credit. It’s disingenuous and dishonest IMHO, and if this had happened to me on a personal ticket (vs a corporate travel agent issued work trip) I’d be making stronger waves.

I think there are (sketchy) workarounds but still…
Old May 29, 2023, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Just be careful. The trip credit you get can only be used on NEW bookings. So if, for example you change your flight to a less expensive one or the price goes down by $200, and then later you change again and the price goes up by $200 you will have to fund that with NEW money, you can’t use that trip credit. It’s disingenuous and dishonest IMHO, and if this had happened to me on a personal ticket (vs a corporate travel agent issued work trip) I’d be making stronger waves.

I think there are (sketchy) workarounds but still…
If you take the credit (after a price drop) and need to change again, simply cancel the ticket. You will get an additional credit. Then book the new flights you want and apply both credits.
njvandy, Antarius and ghsbass0406 like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 10:16 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
<response to off-topic post removed by moderator>

As to OP question - yes, you can get a trip credit for the fare difference by simply calling in and just giving them the PNR # and telling them you saw a fare drop and wish for a trip credit for the price difference. I've done it multiple times on the same trip after several price drops. It's possible that fare could have gone back up by the time you call. That risk, though relatively small if done quickly, applies to canceling old booking and rebooking new one.
FrogProf, ZenFlyer and Antarius like this.

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 1, 2023 at 8:51 am Reason: response to off-topic post removed by moderator
Old May 29, 2023, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I've been able to "change" my flight on the app to the exact same flight and pocket the trip credit for the difference, no call needed.
Old May 29, 2023, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
If you take the credit (after a price drop) and need to change again, simply cancel the ticket. You will get an additional credit. Then book the new flights you want and apply both credits.
I'm not so sure that works. Certainly the corporate travel agent couldn't figure this out (although admittedly they're not the best).
AA.com's page on travel credits does explicitly say that "You may not combine Trip Credit with the value of an existing ticket to pay for a new ticket." but it's a little confusing as to what exactly Trip Credit vs. Flight Credit is.
Old May 29, 2023, 6:29 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by njvandy
I've been able to "change" my flight on the app to the exact same flight and pocket the trip credit for the difference, no call needed.
OK, so maybe I'm not going crazy...I was gonna say that I feel like I've done what you mentioned: go into the PNR, click on "change," look through the options listed for your existing itinerary. If it's the same price as you bought it, it will show "$0" to change to it. But if the price has gone down, it'll show a "-$" amount. Just make the "change" and trip credit will be added to your wallet.
Old May 29, 2023, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. My reservation was not able to be changed online. So, I called in and the agent very quickly was able to exchange the ticket and issue the trip credit.
Old May 29, 2023, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JY1024
OK, so maybe I'm not going crazy...I was gonna say that I feel like I've done what you mentioned: go into the PNR, click on "change," look through the options listed for your existing itinerary. If it's the same price as you bought it, it will show "$0" to change to it. But if the price has gone down, it'll show a "-$" amount. Just make the "change" and trip credit will be added to your wallet.
This is nice to know!
Old May 29, 2023, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The whole "trip credit" vs "flight credit" often confuses me... I booked and paid for a trip for myself and a coworker in a couple of weeks. We may want to push the trip back a couple weeks, and at this time the fares for the same trip a couple weeks later look to be about $200 less per person. If I "change trip" and the new trip is $200 less each, will I get a "trip credit" for the difference in both of our tickets, which will all ($400) be usable by me for future travel? Or will we each get a "flight credit" usable only by the ticketed individual in the future - $200 for me, $200 for him? He doesn't fly AA very often so it would be much better if I could the entire credit in the future. Pretty sure if we just cancelled we would get "flight credits" usable only by the ticketed individual, but wasn't sure how that worked with a change that happens to be a lower fare.
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.