Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When the fare goes down on your exact itinerary, will AA give a credit?

When the fare goes down on your exact itinerary, will AA give a credit?

Old May 29, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by PHL
AA's no change fee/cancelation fee policy does not apply to trips originating anywhere other than North and South America,
not quite, you need to check the fare rules

Hungary - USA, for lowest business fare (the fact a fee is not quoted means it is 0)

Australia - USA, for lowest business fare
Old May 30, 2023, 5:43 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by DSM Flyer
The whole "trip credit" vs "flight credit" often confuses me
Like most airline policies, its not uncommon to have some confusion.

Easy way to get AAs credits straight:
flight credit is given when you fully cancel a trip. It is issued to you to be used towards a future flight in your name only. If future flight price is less then your flight credit, the difference is given back to you as a trip credit.

A trip credit is issued when you change a trip and theres a fare reduction, or when you book a trip on any kind of credit and theres leftover credit. Anyone can use it. Up to 6 trip credits can be added to a single ticket. A trip credit cannot be combined with a flight credit.

So if you have a $200 flight credit and $600 in trip credits sitting in your AA wallet, use the trip credits if your new ticket will be over $200, unless the $200 flight credit is expiring sooner than you may next be able use it.

All credits, flight or trip, can only be applied to one ticket. You cant use them on a reservation with multiple parties. If you wish to use multiple credits previously issued for several people wishing to travel together, they all need to be ticketed separately.
JY1024, ZenFlyer and DSM Flyer like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PHL
Like most airline policies, its not uncommon to have some confusion.

Easy way to get AAs credits straight:
flight credit is given when you fully cancel a trip. It is issued to you to be used towards a future flight in your name only. If future flight price is less then your flight credit, the difference is given back to you as a trip credit.

A trip credit is issued when you change a trip and theres a fare reduction, or when you book a trip on any kind of credit and theres leftover credit. Anyone can use it. Up to 6 trip credits can be added to a single ticket. A trip credit cannot be combined with a flight credit.

So if you have a $200 flight credit and $600 in trip credits sitting in your AA wallet, use the trip credits if your new ticket will be over $200, unless the $200 flight credit is expiring sooner than you may next be able use it.

All credits, flight or trip, can only be applied to one ticket. You cant use them on a reservation with multiple parties. If you wish to use multiple credits previously issued for several people wishing to travel together, they all need to be ticketed separately.
Thank you, that is pretty much what I thought. So if I do a "change trip" for two parties on one reservation the fare difference will be issued as a trip credit, 100% usable by me in the future. If I cancel the trip, we will both be issued a flight credit which I can then use to book new flights for the same two individuals. And if that new fare is less than the flight credit, the difference would be issued as a trip credit, again 100% usable by me in the future.

My coworker doesn't have an AA account, so if I cancel and am issued a flight credit for each of us, will his be in my account under his name? Or will it somehow be issued directly to him, meaning when we rebook they can't be on the same reservation (but I can call to link the PNR after booking)? In which case his residual trip credit will also be issued to him?
Old May 30, 2023, 7:02 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by DSM Flyer
My coworker doesn't have an AA account, so if I cancel and am issued a flight credit for each of us, will his be in my account under his name?
Coworker's flight credit will be tied to their ticket number for future use. It won't be available for you or in your account. You would just have to save/retain the full ticket number and value so it can be used for coworker in the future.
DSM Flyer likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Stripe
Agree about the cancel and rebook, but what is an "automated service"?
I believe services have begun to pop up similar to our friends at Autoslash that check to see whether your booked flights have gone down in price and then automatically cancel and rebook your flights at a cheaper price. How AA would differentiate between a bot doing this and a person is unclear, but they've moved to outlaw the practice if it's not human intervention.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
How to handle a potential price drop for an AA fare?

I'm looking at an August fare to Paris. It's pretty high compared to spring and fall, but if I have to go then I have to go. The price does look pretty competitive with other summer dates. I think AA doesn't charge any fees to cancel even basic economy fares? How should I handle any potential drop in fare prices?

Thank you!
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:10 am

Set a price alert on Google or Skyscanner and if a lower fare appears cancel what you have a book a new one. It will give you a credit, not a refund. Check whether it applies to basic economy, I never book that so can’t confirm that part.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
Set a price alert on Google or Skyscanner and if a lower fare appears cancel what you have a book a new one. It will give you a credit, not a refund. Check whether it applies to basic economy, I never book that so cant confirm that part.
What will happen to the remaining credit since I'm only going to cancel if there is a price drop? The funny thing is that this fare doesn't appear on Google Flights or Skyscanner! I only see it on AA.com.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Definitely cannot cancel and rebook BE.
Antarius and MarkY123 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Definitely cannot cancel and rebook BE.
Huh? So what happens if I book a BE fare and there is a price drop?
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by hhdl
I honestly wonder if UA was contemplating no change fees before the pandemic and decided to deploy that policy a few months before.

UA is the most exposed to WN of the US3 (mostly DEN) and I can see them deciding to try bundling an option on a fare decrease as a means to avoid discounting flights until they have a better idea of demand and have firmed up the schedule some more (this reduces their exposure to the schedule change lottery). That some portion of the options that go in the money will expire also seems salutary.
I imagine it also helps drive more people to buy regular economy rather than basic too.
ZenFlyer and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Huh? So what happens if I book a BE fare and there is a price drop?
No credit or refund as far as I know. If you want this flexibility, don't book BE.
JJeffrey, lsquare and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
No credit or refund as far as I know. If you want this flexibility, don't book BE.
I had no idea! So at a minimum, I'll have to book a main cabin fare? If so, what happens if I cancel and rebook a cheaper fare? I know there will be credit remaining. Then what?
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I had no idea! So at a minimum, I'll have to book a main cabin fare? If so, what happens if I cancel and rebook a cheaper fare? I know there will be credit remaining. Then what?
Then you use the credit on another flight later.
enviroian and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The credit will be in your "wallet" on aa.com. You can apply it to future flights and do it all online without needing to contact an AA agent.
lsquare and Antarius like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.