Wiki Posts
Search

New AA Award Chart with Dynamic Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Just letting a hold drop if deciding it is not wanted doesn't require paaying taxes and then having to claim them back
That's true. But for flights on AA metal -- which these are -- that refund is usually automatic.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think the point being made was that you don't need to be sure of travel dates before you book a fully refundable ticket
Yah, I get it. I don't want to deal with the tax refund issue. AA is usually good about it, but sometimes there are issues. And the taxes on this were not insignificant - $200+ on travel to/from the UK.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 6:46 am

Lucky?

I was lurking for a miles ticket from MIA to BCN. Looking around the end of October. I normally look when they open up. I found one on a Monday for 130,500 miles and $5.6. When I saw that , I booked it immediately The very next day, the same ticket was 349.000, and most of the other days were around 300. I was planning on doing premium economy because I wont spend 300,000 miles for a ticket. Was it a fluke or does this occasionally happen.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Pricing is dynamic and can change quite a bit. Always worth looking and keeping an eye out.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
While not quite as outrageous as some of AA's pricing I don't think I'd ever consider spending 130k for a one-way business award to Europe "lucky".
Old Dec 8, 2023, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
130K can do USA - ASIA Round trip in Biz on partners.. or at least use to ...maybe still can...
Old Dec 8, 2023, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 350zrx330
130K can do USA - ASIA Round trip in Biz on partners.. or at least use to ...maybe still can...
Still can, easily, and it's only 120k to Asia 1.
350zrx330 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yeah, a few weeks ago I booked a couple of PHX-MAD and PHX-BCN for 57.5K miles (to cover multiple dates), so Spain is easy to get.
On AA, so no BA surcharge.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
OP I suggest you continue to look periodically - saver award availability is generally not at it's highest when the booking window opens anymore.
If you can travel Mon/Tues in October and are willing to connect in MAD, IB seems to currently offer a J seat (57.5k) + ~$150 surcharge.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 2:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
OP I suggest you continue to look periodically - saver award availability is generally not at it's highest when the booking window opens anymore.
If you can travel Mon/Tues in October and are willing to connect in MAD, IB seems to currently offer a J seat (57.5k) + ~$150 surcharge.

this.
since AA got rid of redeposit fees, you have no reason not to snag a 'backup' ticket and look for better deals. I typically found that once you get closer (maybe a few weeks to even days) before travel, stuff opens up. Ive snagged web special tickets on american metal for LESS than saver awards in biz to europe this way.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wesport
I was lurking for a miles ticket from MIA to BCN. Looking around the end of October. I normally look when they open up. I found one on a Monday for 130,500 miles and $5.6. When I saw that , I booked it immediately The very next day, the same ticket was 349.000, and most of the other days were around 300. I was planning on doing premium economy because I wont spend 300,000 miles for a ticket. Was it a fluke or does this occasionally happen.
If you don't mind connecting in MAD, this option is currently available on both October 27 and 28:

JJeffrey and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 6:56 am

I have done the connection once in Madrid. Had enough time, but the hike was exhausting. I had the miles to burn and I thought well, 130,000 is much better than 349,000
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:55 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I had 5 pax booked on YVR-LHR with BA (the surcharge ex YVR was only $330 so not a bad deal) for Dec 24, but have been carefully looking at Dec 23-25 as more award space has opened up out of our home airport (LAX). Sure enough, LAX-LHR on AA metal (AA134) opened up, 4x F and 3x J this morning for Dec 24. I mentioned up thread that when these show up you can usually see them with partners (at partner saver level) and you can get true Saaver pricing w AA if you get a BA/IB segment added out of London the following day (but if booked as just the AA segment they are often far more miles). We were able to rebook 3 in the business class cabin as Saaver awards w 57.5k AA miles each and then used AS miles to grab 2 F awards (85k each). Not a bad deal, we get about $1650 in BA surcharges back.
JJeffrey, Happy, guv1976 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:30 pm

Are miles just worth a penny a mile now?

I have really massive credit card spend, millions a year thanks to business spending, and I spread it out over various cards so I basically always have good options.

Lately I've been noticing that redemptions are pretty much always just 100x the cash fare for the same flight. I focus the most on AA but I'm seeing the same thing at UA and DL too when I look. Of course there are exceptions, for example I just got four flagship transcon SFO/JFK in business for 29.5k miles each. It's a 5:30am flight but that works for this trip so whatever.

But it seems like those are almost nonexistant at this point and they're invariably flights that nobody really wants, where I would have been upgraded anyways.

I know partner awards still exist but they're on the way out too.

For all the investment in CC partnerships it seems like the airlines are playing a slightly dangerous game. If they can't give more than a penny a mile there's literally zero reason whatsoever to not just use something like Chase points or any of the various 2%+ cash options.

Are they just counting on everyone being too stupid to figure that out?
SamirD and m907 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Deals are there. I booked a 900 USD one way for 7.5k miles a few weeks ago.

In general, long haul AA metal J redemptions are not a great use of miles anymore. However, even there, there are good redemptions periodically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.