New AA Award Chart with Dynamic Pricing

Old Nov 22, 2022, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
AA in F, LAX-JFK using miles, need some help

I want to fly LAX-JFK next year, sometime early/mid October, using my AA miles to enjoy F class with my wife. Obviously, this is nearly a year out, and I have plenty of time, and my dates have some reasonable flexibility to them (basically a 2 week window from Oct 2 through 17th, for what would ideally be a 4-5 night stay in NYC)

The question I have is, when should I start monitoring for Saver / WebSpecial level availability? How far in advance does that typically get released and available for booking? Also, should I subscribe to a service/search tool like SeatSpy to help monitor, so that I am not manually checking? I guess the second question is should I use SeatSpy or ExpertFlyer or another similar service to monitor and alert me? It seems like SeatSpy would be perfect for the specific route and itinerary I am looking to book, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

And finally, while I have enough AA points to book 2 RT tickets in F, I also have a tonnage of AMEX MR points I can transfer to a partner. If I want to consider that idea, (a) which partner(s) should I consider, and (b) would I still get access to Flagship check-in, etc? Kind of want that.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
As long as there are seats for sale then AA will release some kind of award availability, whether it be sAAver, AAnytime, or web special. There is no magic to when to start to looking, for early October 2023 you're already within the booking window so no reason not to start looking right now.

You can set up an availability alert at ExpertFlyer however this will only work for sAAver space, and most domestic availability nowadays is web special or AAnytime. So that will be of limited use.

If you're dead set on flying F then I would just book whatever is available now, then keep an eye on things to see if the pricing changes. AA offers free cancelations on awards so if the award price were to drop, or your schedule changes, you can just cancel and rebook. And on award ticket you always get full benefits like lounge access, check-in, etc.

Looking at random dates in October the pricing for an F award is typically between 115k-130k per person, each way. Yikes. That's a ton of miles to blow on JFK-LAX.
Spiff and FlyFreakquently like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:10 pm

As a couple, you may be just as comfortable flying in J. While is lacks a few perks that F has, the savings can be significant.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bgasser
As a couple, you may be just as comfortable flying in J. While is lacks a few perks that F has, the savings can be significant.
And you get to sit together... if in fact that would be a plus.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rajuabju
And finally, while I have enough AA points to book 2 RT tickets in F, I also have a tonnage of AMEX MR points I can transfer to a partner. If I want to consider that idea, (a) which partner(s) should I consider, and (b) would I still get access to Flagship check-in, etc? Kind of want that.
In order to redeem partner miles for award flights on AA, AA must have MileSAAver seats available. If and when they do, both Etihad and BA would be possible Amex transfer partners for such a redemption. Etihad would be cheaper. Here's a post from last year in which another FTer describes booking an AA trans-continental nonstop with Etihad miles:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33656426-post92.html

If flying out of and/or into SNA would be an option for you, AA's SNA-JFK-SNA nonstops utilize the same equipment as the LAX-JFK-LAX nonstops, and premium cabins on those flights are sometimes available for fewer AA miles.
MarkY123 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
In order to redeem partner miles for award flights on AA, AA must have MileSAAver seats available. If and when they do, both Etihad and BA would be possible Amex transfer partners for such a redemption. Etihad would be cheaper. Here's a post from last year in which another FTer describes booking an AA trans-continental nonstop with Etihad miles:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33656426-post92.html

If flying out of and/or into SNA would be an option for you, AA's SNA-JFK-SNA nonstops utilize the same equipment as the LAX-JFK-LAX nonstops, and premium cabins on those flights are sometimes available for fewer AA miles.
I am a regular on the JFK-SNA flight. The major downside is the Admirals Club at SNA is lousy compared to the Flagship Lounge at LAX. The benefit is the time savings getting in and out of the airport.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 2:20 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder

Did the redemption rates for Business Awards to Europe just double? I have been watching several routes to Europe in bus and first for several months and while some days were very expensive now all days appear to be at the max. Did my AA miles just suffer a big devaluation? Is this the new normal with AA?
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. AA Plat. UA Gold

CNBC is reporting that the new dynamic chart will go live today and it appears to be live on the AA site.

Important Note: The partner award chart seems to be unchanged for now, but the new "starting at" prices could be indicative of where that's going as the disparity compared with AA metal is now quite large.

Unclear how they would price an award with a mix of AA and partner metal for those of us (i.e. the majority) not living by an AA hub.

Also unclear how this impacts using partner miles to redeem on AA metal. At minimum, using the AA site to check availability for booking this way becomes a challenge.

International Biz/First seem to have some brutal changes, with the "starting at" prices being higher than previous saver levels.

Example Starting At Pricing in Biz/First
  • Europe - Starting at 75K in Business, used to be 57.5K
  • Deep South America - Starting at 90K, used to be 57.5K
  • Asia, Middle East, Pacific - Starting at 95.K, used to be 60-80K
In addition, multiple long haul flights in a one-way journey will now seem to price by segment as well. They also seem to not allowing changes, just cancel + redeposit.

Two flight awards are needed if your one-way trip includes two long haul international flights
Keep in mind, flight awards don’t allow changes, but you can cancel and reinstate your miles at no charge.

New AA Award Chart

Links
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by islandguy84; Apr 5, 2023 at 5:52 pm Reason: added note about segments pricing individually
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Glad I got my partner award to Europe this summer for 115k miles each....
SamirD and VegasGambler like this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Partner award chart still holding strong... for now
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

An notable change to award rules listed on that page in that changes are no longer allowed. Need to make a change and you now do need to cancel and rebook afresh - so all awards on AA now have the old web special restriction

Originally Posted by AA
Keep in mind, flight awards don’t allow changes, but you can cancel and reinstate your miles at no charge. Flight awards have no blackout dates and are available on all American Airlines marketed and operated flights.
bchandler02 and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Wow. After all that talk about providing award charts that are supposedly more useful in terms of setting expectations, they phoned it in by publishing what is essentially the new (stealthily devalued) Saver price, slapped a giant YMMV asterisk on it to say youll never actually get those prices, and called it a day.
Spiff, moondog, GUWonder and 11 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:22 pm

WOW

USA to LHR RT was pricing (yesterday) in October at 110,000 each way J and 140,000 each way F
Now prices are double

May just be one data point, but it sure doesn't look good
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
This language also looks new and could have major implications:

Two flight awards are needed if your one-way trip includes two long haul international flights.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by ned
Did the redemption rates for Business Awards to Europe just double? I have been watching several routes to Europe in bus and first for several months and while some days were very expensive now all days appear to be at the max. Did my AA miles just suffer a big devaluation? Is this the new normal with AA?
Yes, Yes and Probably Yes

SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.