Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Status Changed Overnight - Tickets at Airport don’t Reflect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec

I searched here and Google and couldn’t find an answer. After a 5 year hiatus, I requalified for EXP. Around midnight I got the email for the Loyalty Selections, and my app shows EXP. However, when I checked in to a flight this morning in AUS, boarding passes came out Group 2. Subsequently, getting boarding passes online showed the same. Admirals Club staff said it shows as Pro in the system.

Question is as today’s travel is non-consequential as I’m traveling with a party of 3, so we’re hunkered up in MCE, but I have 6 forthcoming trips solo, and the Admirals Club staff said I’ll probably need to wait another day and then have staff go in an manually detach and reattach my AA number. It’s been forever since I’ve had a status change, and I have to imagine AA systems will catch-up and the manual efforts aren’t required. We fly back next weekend, again non-consequential due to traveling with a party of 3, so I guess I’ll find out then.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
You are correct that you need to remove and readd the number or have your record modified by an agent to refresh the latest status. By default and with no changes, it will reflect status at booking.

Ask the agent at the check in desk or AC to remove your AA FFN and re add it on your next flight. Should show as EXP then.

The sooner you sort it, the better as benefits aside, EXP also gets a better LP multiplier.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Or just send a DM to AA on Twitter with your record locators and ask them to take out and reattach your AA number because of the status update. It is reasonably likely that if you don't take out and reattach, it'll still be Pro when you travel even well in the future.
wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Thanks to both of you. The comment on LP multiplier is something I haven’t thought about. These tickets were dirt cheap though so not a huge deal. It’s amazing they haven’t automated this.

As stated though, I did have the Admirals Club agent re-attach my FF and she said it still comes in as Pro. As stated, the app reflects the right status. Might need a day to sort itself out. I’ll DM AA on Twitter and give them all my Itins.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Bizarre,
I just fetched a new boarding pass from the AA iOS app and it now shows Group 1, so it’s updated. I’ll see if the club staff can fix my other tickets.
wrp96, Antarius and HaleiwaFlyer like this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Went to the Admirals desk and they helped. They confirmed that ALL four of my future tickets showed me as EXP, but they did say the upgrade requests that were put in were still as PPro. They called it the “AU” list. I assume that means Auto Upgrade, but that’s my assumption. They were able to resubmit the requests and on the AU list it shows as EXP now.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrianV
Went to the Admirals desk and they helped. They confirmed that ALL four of my future tickets showed me as EXP, but they did say the upgrade requests that were put in were still as PPro. They called it the “AU” list. I assume that means Auto Upgrade, but that’s my assumption. They were able to resubmit the requests and on the AU list it shows as EXP now.
Sweet. Glad you got it sorted.

Unfortunately, it is a manual process. AA's IT system is from the 1960s and held together by chewing gum, prayers and carrier pigeons (if you're lucky you may get a punch card ). The upside to this is if you lose status, any tickets booked before will retain your status unless changed or touched.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
AA's IT system is from the 1960s and held together by chewing gum, prayers and carrier pigeons (if you're lucky you may get a punch card ).
I may have posted this before, but about 15 years ago there was a problem with my upgrade and the check-in agent had to print actual physical stickers for me and staple them to my BP. Until that point I had always considered "stickers" to be a legacy term.

Every once in a while I miss the good old days, when the airport agents neglected to collect the paper SWUs (then called VIPs) and you could then re-use them.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I remember the stickers!

I opted to upgrade 2 of the 3 seats, so my son and wife are enjoying the good life. At least I have the entire first row of MCE to myself.

Ironically, this is the first Basic Economy ticket I’ve ever bought. I used to avoid them back when you got no bags, no status, no upgrades, etc. Since they made BE more attractive for elites, I haven’t had the opportunity to fly one. I was surprised to see that despite my wife getting an upgrade, her Boarding Pass still said Group 9. The gate agent did say “Group 1 and those boarded in Forst Class” during the PA. Anyways, not relevant to the thread but weird nonetheless.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I remember the stickers!

I opted to upgrade 2 of the 3 seats, so my son and wife are enjoying the good life. At least I have the entire first row of MCE to myself.

Ironically, this is the first Basic Economy ticket I’ve ever bought. I used to avoid them back when you got no bags, no status, no upgrades, etc. Since they made BE more attractive for elites, I haven’t had the opportunity to fly one. I was surprised to see that despite my wife getting an upgrade, her Boarding Pass still said Group 9. The gate agent did say “Group 1 and those boarded in Forst Class” during the PA. Anyways, not relevant to the thread but weird nonetheless.
Your wife had a BP issued with a F seat assignment and Group 9 boarding?! I'd love to see what that looks like. Definitely a glitch of some kind.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njvandy
Your wife had a BP issued with a F seat assignment and Group 9 boarding?! I'd love to see what that looks like. Definitely a glitch of some kind.
it's definitely a glitch and one that's been out there for a while. My gf got the same thing. See this thread and screenshot from my experience

Group 9 and Business Class
njvandy likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njvandy

See attached. 737-8.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Also worth noting, I buy a lot of trips for all three of us. When Main Cabin, wife and son always get my boarding group (e.g. Group 2 when PPro), prior to the upgrade shenanigans, I was Group 1 in economy and they were both Group 9. It’s as if Basic Economy hard codes G9 if the individual doesn’t have status.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
I may have posted this before, but about 15 years ago there was a problem with my upgrade and the check-in agent had to print actual physical stickers for me and staple them to my BP. Until that point I had always considered "stickers" to be a legacy term.

Every once in a while I miss the good old days, when the airport agents neglected to collect the paper SWUs (then called VIPs) and you could then re-use them.
This was before my time.

AA mailed you actual stickers and then you attach them to the BP? Was there a way to request them ahead of time or did you have to produce the sticker at the check in desk?
Old Jan 22, 2023, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also worth noting, I buy a lot of trips for all three of us. When Main Cabin, wife and son always get my boarding group (e.g. Group 2 when PPro), prior to the upgrade shenanigans, I was Group 1 in economy and they were both Group 9. It’s as if Basic Economy hard codes G9 if the individual doesn’t have status.
Yup. That's exactly what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.