Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2023 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2023 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:48 am

It looks like I too had an almost-identical meal on AA78 DFW-LHR, and my judgement of the Peppercorn Beef (pre-selected), is in line with the comments above. Mine was overly well-done, pretty much shoe-leather, and the breakfast was equally lacklustre. I did not manage to finish either meals, Im afraid. Take-off was delayed by about 90 mins, though, because the aircraft had to return to the gate on account of there being no power to the aft galley, but I imagine they dont begin to heat the food until the plane is airborne, so that wouldnt have been a factor. For dessert, I had the much-vaunted sundae, but that was nothing to write home about either.

Perhaps AA suffered from comparison with my outbound TATL flight a fortnight prior on BA49 LHR-SEA, where the food was excellentthe Beef Cheeks were melt-in-your-mouth deliciousbut this is in my mind a valid comparison, since two flights were of roughly the same distance and departing from the airlines respective hubs. On the whole, the AA 777-300 seat was more comfortable than BAs 787-10 CS, and the air hostesses did address me by name (unlike BA), but I do think BA catering was a cut above.

Originally Posted by enviroian
However...I did not a ramekin of olives and rosemary twig like you did. One off perhaps?
Heheh! My meal wasnt as identical to some dudes as yoursI opted for the chocolate sundae insteadbut I likewise did not get the olives.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
My beef was a shoe sole and inedible as well. I had the flight attendant wrap it up for me as I will use it to catch snakeheads in the Everglades.
wrp96, LCSinTexas and Rossodio like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Hindu Meal

I do have to fly at the back of the bus from time to time...
Hindu Meal
AA105 LHR-JFK last week
By far the most flavorful and most consistent Main Cabin special meal option, in my opinion.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Identical meal I had last week CLT-MUC even down to the sundae toppings. LOL

However...I did not a ramekin of olives and rosemary twig like you did. One off perhaps?
It's currently being tested on DFW flights only.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:22 am

AA 293 DEL-JFK
7 March 2023; 11:55 PM departure

Dinner was served shortly after take off, all on one tray perhaps due to the very late departure time. Choices were pistachio crusted lamb chops, cod, Indian non-veg, or Indian veg. The lamb was very good, cooked well done but still reasonably tender. The gravy was goopy and unnecessary. There were some other big misses, however. The green salad was wilted and brown and the dinner roll was as hard as a hockey puck (though my replacement wheat roll was much better). The caprese salad appetizer was fine, but did we really need two salads with dinner? At least one was edible.

Dessert was the ice cream sundae, a "mango symphony" (what the heck is that supposed to be?), or the fruit and cheese plate. The sundae was fine, but the quality of the ice cream is nowhere near as good as when AA used Ben & Jerry's.

Mid-flight snack was a quiche with leeks and itty-bitty-shrimp. Tasty, especially with the tomato chutney. The side of fruit, however, was unripe.

After three weeks of Indian breakfasts, I went for the "traditional American" option, which of course featured a Mexican frittata (???). It was very tasty, and this time, the fruit was ripe. Plain yogurt was jazzed up with the little jar of jam. Warm pastries were a nice touch. The FAs served a delicious smoothie before handing out the trays.

Sadly, no espresso pods were loaded. The FA said they never get espresso pods ex-DEL. Shame.

Not pictured: the walk-up bar with it's sad selection of gas station-style sandwiches and packaged snacks. There was, however, a fresh fruit basket and towards the end of the flight we got a bunch of Y pretzel packs.

Service was the best I've ever had on AA. Two very seasoned FAs took exceptional care of their side of the aircraft (in contrast to the lackadaisical service I saw on the other side of the plane). I have such low expectations for service on AA and those two ladies went above and beyond at every step.
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:48 am

AA 292 JFK-DEL
18 February 2023

Starter was a crisp salad with some nuts and currants and a meh farro-tomato thing (called a "tartare" on the menu).

Lamb chops weren't much to look at, but they were sizable and served at a nice medium. BrAAvo.

Sundae with butterscotch.

AA 292 on 18/2/23 made an emergency medical landing in Saint Johns, Newfoundland, Canada, and after many hours waiting for a plan from Dallas, we returned to JFK and were greeted with rebooking mAAyhem.

Let's try this again.

AA 292 JFK-DEL
19 February 2023

Same starter as the night before, only this time the salad was wilted. Last night we got two dollops of the lemon-sauce-thing with our "tartare;" tonight, just one.

Chicken wasn't pretty, but it was delicious. The sauce was billed as peppercorn, but there were no peppercorns to be found.

AAnother day, another sundAAe.

I went for the Indian breakfast which was bursting with flavor. Not sure what was on the plate but it was all delicious. Espresso was available, but the FAs didn't think they had pods but were thankfully willing to check in F for me (which is where they were).

Not pictured: the mid-flight hot snack that I slept through and the sad set-up in the walk-up bar.
enviroian likes this.

Last edited by CurbedEnthusiasm; Mar 9, 2023 at 3:52 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 9, 2023, 7:37 pm

Premium economy LAX>HND coming up soon and noticed I get a choice of only 2 dishes for this flight, beef stir fry or pasta. This seems to be the only meal served on a 12hr flight. It's this really how AA operates or will they add more options closer to the flight?
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:01 am

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
Originally Posted by Slothtastic
Premium economy LAX>HND coming up soon and noticed I get a choice of only 2 dishes for this flight, beef stir fry or pasta. This seems to be the only meal served on a 12hr flight. It's this really how AA operates or will they add more options closer to the flight?
I was on Dfw - Nrt 10 days ago. Choice of chicken and rice or risotto.
mid way, they offered a sandwich, and 2 hrs before landing yoghurt or eggs.

and YES, THIS IS HOW THEY OPERATE. you have plenty of other choices when flying to Tokyo. For the better food, fly JAL or upgrade to Biz
Old Mar 10, 2023, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Even in business or first, they only offer ordering in advance for the first meal. There will be at a 2nd meal offered before arrival, you just don't get to pre-select your choice.
ijgordon and Slothtastic like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by jerryss
I was on Dfw - Nrt 10 days ago. Choice of chicken and rice or risotto.
mid way, they offered a sandwich, and 2 hrs before landing yoghurt or eggs.

and YES, THIS IS HOW THEY OPERATE. you have plenty of other choices when flying to Tokyo. For the better food, fly JAL or upgrade to Biz
Thanks for the feedback. I am aware of the multiple airlines that fly to Japan. Unfortunately the JAL flight I was booked on for this trip was cancelled and I was switched to AA. Having no experience with the AA premium economy product I inquired here. I look forward to my choice of "yoghurt" or eggs. I know you churn those credit cards hard to get into business class once in a blue moon but as I said earlier, this wasn't my original flight so I need to roll with what I got.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I am aware of the multiple airlines that fly to Japan. Unfortunately the JAL flight I was booked on for this trip was cancelled and I was switched to AA. Having no experience with the AA premium economy product I inquired here. I look forward to my choice of "yoghurt" or eggs. I know you churn those credit cards hard to get into business class once in a blue moon but as I said earlier, this wasn't my original flight so I need to roll with what I got.
I flew PY on AA recently, though a much shorter flight. I didn't find the quantity of food a problem. There was a second "snack" meal which was actually better and almost as much food as the main meal. The only airline I've ever gone hungry on was United with a single meal LHR-SFO. But that was years ago, not sure if it's changed.

I've attached photos, they're not in chrological order though. The "cream cheese pasta" was pretty awful. Then around the middle of the flight the chocolate ice cream. And then near the end the salad which was actually really nice. It came with an olive oil thing that was frozen/congealed and had to be warmed up which funny because there's a whole thread in the AC forum of people being creative about softening their butter...
Attached Images    

Last edited by zkzkz; Mar 11, 2023 at 8:53 pm
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:07 am

AA21 LHR-DFW mid-April 2023 (morning flight) AA Business Flagship

AA21 LHR-DFW mid-April 2023 (morning flight)

Old Mar 12, 2023, 7:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, Amex UK Plat
Originally Posted by Dino55
AA21 LHR-DFW mid-April 2023 (morning flight)

I have the same choices on an upcoming AA155 LHR-SEA flight. Torn between the Chicken, Salmon and Beef. Any experience of these and a recommendation would be welcome.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA
SJO-CLT options AA1248 3/18

Two options on SJO-CLT this Sat.. any thoughts?

Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Talking

Originally Posted by Papa.Lima.Echo
I have the same choices on an upcoming AA155 LHR-SEA flight. Torn between the Chicken, Salmon and Beef. Any experience of these and a recommendation would be welcome.
Anything Indian for me, especially out of LHR. AA has been doing pretty well with fish lately so I'd go salmon if the Korma isnt your thing.

** Green emoji at the top have no clue how it got there, cant seem to get rid of it
Papa.Lima.Echo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.