Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will I get a Complimentary Upgrade from Y to W on tomorrow's flight as an EXP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:34 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

Waitlisted to J for two of us for tomorrow's PHL-CDG flight and, unfortunately, it is showing:

I believe I have seen a post or two awhile ago somewhere on FT that the AAngels/GA's sometimes will upgrade an EXP to Premium Economy if the SWUs don't clear.

PE is fairly empty but I am not going to burn an SWU on a 7hr flight to sit in it.

What do y'all think? Any tips for me on how or where to ask tomorrow?

(This is the first time in history where I haven't cleared an SWU so Y is going to be a very new experience for me internationally.)

Last edited by 355F1; Nov 23, 2022 at 12:20 pm
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Maybe, maybe not. Very limited data points, still seems to be completely YMMV. Not much you can do other than ask in the Admirals Club and again at the gate if you don't get anywhere with the AC. Definitely report back on how it goes.

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:11 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I read the memo about complimentary Y to W upgrades a while ago when it was posted by Gary or JonNYC, and I believe you have to be listed for an upgrade with a SWU (i.e. VIP1 or VIP2) to be eligible (so it sounds like you would be). You should also check in the app if you are being offered a LFBU to W for $0.

If you can get the first row of MCE, Y is pretty good on a PHL to Europe flight. 10JKL on the 788 are blocked until day of departure -- I was able to grab them at T-12. Remember they have snacks in the galley -- I ate a lot of shortbread cookies.
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:26 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Maybe, maybe not. Very limited data points, still seems to be completely YMMV. Not much you can do other than ask in the Admirals Club and again at the gate if you don't get anywhere with the AC. Definitely report back on how it goes.
Most definitely, I will.

Originally Posted by VFR
I read the memo about complimentary Y to W upgrades a while ago when it was posted by Gary or JonNYC, and I believe you have to be listed for an upgrade with a SWU (i.e. VIP1 or VIP2) to be eligible (so it sounds like you would be). You should also check in the app if you are being offered a LFBU to W for $0.

If you can get the first row of MCE, Y is pretty good on a PHL to Europe flight. 10JKL on the 788 are blocked until day of departure -- I was able to grab them at T-12. Remember they have snacks in the galley -- I ate a lot of shortbread cookies.
We are in row 10 now but in the middle. I will definitely keep checking to see if the sides open up as I prefer a window seat.

No upgrade offers within the app before, or during, check-in.

Thank you for your post!

I have flown PHX-OGG a few times in Y and its about a 6.5hr flight so I know I won't die in Y.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 355F1
No upgrade offers within the app before, or during, check-in.
But the upgrade offers won't appear if you're already waitlisted for a SWU or miles/copay upgrade. I know the $0 upgrade offer to PE was mentioned in the thread I linked to but I'm honestly not sure how that works.
VFR likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:33 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

But the upgrade offers won't appear if you're already waitlisted for a SWU or miles/copay upgrade. I know the $0 upgrade offer to PE was mentioned in the thread I linked to but I'm honestly not sure how that works.
I meant there wasn’t any upgrade offer offered including $0.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I meant there wasn’t any upgrade offer offered including $0.
No I understand, but that's what I was saying, if you're currently waitlisted for a SWU then the system will not offer you any upgrade offers.
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Sometimes you need to get pushy with a gate agent to upgrade to W if J if full and you're on the upgrade list. A few months ago in ORD, she swore up and down they can't upgrade to W, I kept pushing, and after she read the entire policy on the AA intranet and saw my VIP2 entry on the upgrade list, she moved me to premium economy, by that point nearly the entire plane was boarded.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:14 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by VFR
If you can get the first row of MCE, Y is pretty good on a PHL to Europe flight. 10JKL on the 788 are blocked until day of departure -- I was able to grab them at T-12.
Thank you for this! I got us 10K/L at T-12 like you said!

We are #1/2 of 5 on the Waitlist for 0 seats. LoL.
UAPremierGuy and VFR like this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for this! I got us 10K/L at T-12 like you said!

We are #1/2 of 5 on the Waitlist for 0 seats. LoL.
So no luck on the upgrade to PE?
Old Nov 23, 2022, 9:38 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

So no luck on the upgrade to PE?
We aren’t in PHL yet.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We aren’t in PHL yet.
Ah I thought you were departing last night. Interested to hear how it goes...
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:24 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Ah I thought you were departing last night. Interested to hear how it goes...
Currently in the air to PHL.

will post what happens once it happens!
Old Nov 23, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Exp
I think I speak for us all when I write that we are waiting with baited breath

Seriously though it's like I'm flying with you hoping for an upgrade
355F1 and AB Dada like this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I’ve been advised by a few AA agents that the official policy is that ONLY the EXP gets a DoD UPG from Y to PY and that companions don’t. Assume that agents have some discretion on this, so don’t shoot the messenger (ie., me). This sort of silliness is one of several reasons I’m leaving AA.

“When traveling in a reservation that has a mix of status members checking in together, the other customers are ineligible to receive day of departure upgrades ((formerly known as LFBU). In this case, we see you've got Exec Plat status, whereas XXX has Gold status. We do see there's two spaces in Prem Econ available for confirmed changes, and it'll cost 65,000 miles per passenger, with the same taxes of $5.60. Your current award cost 20,000 miles per passenger, so there'll be a difference of 45,000 miles per passenger. What do you think?”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.