Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
There were reports of this being free if available at check in but I haven’t been able to verify as all my flights have required airport check in and was fortunate enough that SWUs cleared before actually getting to the airport. If the app doesn’t allow you could ask at check in and I’m guessing you might have success depending on the outstation. I haven’t seen any change in policy from the “space-available at check in days” and there were some posts up thread that posted the agent guidance that this was still available for free for EXPs. There have been occasional posts reporting the app may offer you this for free but don’t think anyone has reported something very recently.
thanks for this. I still need to burn 2 SWU's by july 1 and was hoping for the outbound on this. there is J4 still and surprised it hasn't cleared. Could be folks using miles to buy up. 25,000 + $350 is kind of expensive for a 7 hr flight where I won't sleep. but better than losing the SWUs.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:14 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Using miles to buy up is same inventory as your SWU with you likely having priority so nobody is getting your SWU waitlisted upgrades by doing miles and copay. My recent SWU experiences got processed within a day or two or departure so you just gotta be patient and hope the cabin doesn’t get fully booked.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
Using miles to buy up is same inventory as your SWU with you likely having priority so nobody is getting your SWU waitlisted upgrades by doing miles and copay. My recent SWU experiences got processed within a day or two or departure so you just gotta be patient and hope the cabin doesn’t get fully booked.
I can report the that the Flagship peopled checked about upgrades for EXP to PE and she said there was no offer. That said, I cleared SWU at the gate.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: AA (EXP), Marriott (TE), National (EE)
Data Point

Flying LHR -> DFW this morning, booked in economy, I had the option in the app and at the counter to buy into PE at $107 (at the time, 6 open seats). Not part of this thread, but also 10+ open J seats and cost was ~$500.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Datapoints: Complimentary EXP MC to PE upgrades on Int'l routes

I recently stumbled upon a couple posters in the EXP thread who talked about the "unpublished benefit" of being upgraded from MC to PE on international flights - either by gate agents or AAngels at lounges.
Wanted to start a thread on this to gather datapoints and understand truly how common this "unpublished benefit" is.

Has this ever happened to you? What were the circumstances?

Source :Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2021+) - Page 9 - FlyerTalk Forums - reference posts #120 and #121
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
There are a few data points in the existing thread as well, but all in all this "benefit" continues to be completely YMMV it seems.

Last edited by aztimm; Oct 21, 2022 at 2:34 pm Reason: removed link to this thread after merge
Old Feb 14, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Free Upgrade to PE?

When they first launched PE - EXP (and possibly others) could get free Y->PE upgrades. Then I think that stopped. I was on three Y TATL flights last year - - and twice I ended up in PE. Once the gate agent called my name and asked if I preferred aisle in Y or middle in PE - once I just stayed in Y - and the third time during online check-in I was asked if I wanted to upgrade to PE for $0 (that was a basic economy fare).

What's the current policy - I didn't find anything official on PE upgrades. I am flying to London for a few hours next week and due to the same day return nature of the trip and crazy J fares - I ended up using points. One flight has an almost empty PE cabin (though award seats were fairly high priced in PE) - is there any hope for a PE upgrade?

Is there an official policy - or did I just get lucky somehow last year?
joeyE likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Complimentary Y to PE upgrades for EXP on international flights still happen and are automatic. Just came back from an international flight, and there was a business, PE, and standby waitlist on the AA mobile app.
enviroian likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Raralith
Complimentary Y to PE upgrades for EXP on international flights still happen and are automatic. Just came back from an international flight, and there was a business, PE, and standby waitlist on the AA mobile app.
Revenue tickets only or awards as well?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Looking at a few 77W flights for tonight, I can only see First, Business and Standby wait lists.

What route did you see the PE waitlist for?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flying_geek
Revenue tickets only or awards as well?
Should be for award tickets as well, but I'd probably call to double check if you want to confirm you're on the waitlist at T-100. Specifically in my case, the CSR at the LAX Flagship Lounge confirmed that I got complimentary PE upgrade as an EXP with a paid ticket, and the system would automatically start working on it at T-100 hours.

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Looking at a few 77W flights for tonight, I can only see First, Business and Standby wait lists.

What route did you see the PE waitlist for?
HND-LAX on 787. In this flight, same 3 letter last name + first initial was on both J and PE waitlist so I'm assuming the same person was on both. J did not clear for this person but it did for PE.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HND-LAX on 787. In this flight, same 3 letter last name + first initial was on both J and PE waitlist so I'm assuming the same person was on both. J did not clear for this person but it did for PE.
With the newest iteration of this benefit I believe that is key, in order to grab a comp Y to PE upgrade you must be waitlisted for a business upgrade (either SWU or miles/copay) and if that upgrade doesn't clear, then the GA's are ​​supposed to give you a comp upgrade to PE if there's space.

As with anything AA it seems some agents are familiar with the process, others are not, etc. If you are in this situation you also need to make doubly sure you don't get a bad GA who offers the upgrade to PE but still tries to pull a SWU.

Similar experience from late last year:

Will I get a Complimentary Upgrade from Y to W on tomorrow's flight as an EXP?
Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
With the newest iteration of this benefit I believe that is key, in order to grab a comp Y to PE upgrade you must be waitlisted for a business upgrade (either SWU or miles/copay) and if that upgrade doesn't clear, then the GA's are ​​supposed to give you a comp upgrade to PE if there's space.
In January I got offered an upgrade to PE at $0 in the app during check in. It was a basic economy fare (MUC-CLT) and the first segment of the ticket. My wife and son were on the same flight and both got upgraded (separate - unlinked I assume - locator) - the SWUs came out of my account. I would have been fine with a Y seat for the day flight (had aisle in the first row) and did NOT list for an upgrade.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flying_geek
In January I got offered an upgrade to PE at $0 in the app during check in. It was a basic economy fare (MUC-CLT) and the first segment of the ticket. My wife and son were on the same flight and both got upgraded (separate - unlinked I assume - locator) - the SWUs came out of my account. I would have been fine with a Y seat for the day flight (had aisle in the first row) and did NOT list for an upgrade.
Yea, that seems to just about sum up how inconsistent this whole process is. Sometimes you may get a $0 upgrade offer in the app, sometimes not, sometimes you need to waitlist a SWU and have it not clear, etc. etc.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
This might be off topic... but anyway I will take a HNL-PHX in m/c on 787-9 and it's BE award tickets.
As an EXP it says complementary upgrade requested.
The 787-9 has three classes, m/c, pe/c, and f/c.
Am I going to get either pe/c or f/c, or pe/c only if it's cleared?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.