Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding 737 max in AA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
If your itinerary includes a 737 through Miami... then I got bad news for you...
Speaking of which, is there any reason why AA chose to concentrate the MAX almost out of Miami?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Khansam
so please Comment,
why don’t they remove the MCAS

(they can’t, because of the design incompatibility. Mcas is an additional variable which shouldn’t be there. It was all about doing it in a rush. All of you defending Boeing are either naive or paid by Boeing. Just like they are spending millions to keep covering everything. Out of the 100 critical incidents logged post feb 2022 , 60 were of Boeing max and there is a lid on it. But this stats can easily be checked if you have the resources to.)
you don’t mind flying, it’s fine, but stop making fun of people who are aware and conscious about it
I know this is the wrong forum for this,but you're right. MCAS was entirely unneeded, all that was needed was a waiver. And the reason is simple: Newton's 3rd law of physics. Stronger engines will increase pitch as an effect due increased thrust, which, with the way the engines are placed, will create an even bigger pitch (and increased angle of attack, with an increased risk of stall under certain rare conditions).

A pilot worth their salt would know to counteract such pitch up maneouver (judging they're worth their salt, ofc).

Personally, i wouldnt avoid a MAX, im in fact trying to get to fly in a MAX, but from another airline..
Old Oct 3, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: QR Platinum, UA Gold, AA Gold
Is there a way to avoid 737 max or should I continue to avoid American Airlines indefinitely. Now their flight search doesn’t even give a complete name of the plane and just says 737 so their loss as I am avoiding everything
Seriously, AA tells you exactly which 737 variant for a specific flight. Not sure which search engine you have been using. FYI, I am an OWE and I fly AA regularly and I have been 100% successful in avoiding the MAX on AA (or, occasionally UA). In the US, the only airlines which makes it hard to know which variants of 737 they fly, is, maybe, only Southwest.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Etheereal
I know this is the wrong forum for this,but you're right. MCAS was entirely unneeded, all that was needed was a waiver. And the reason is simple: Newton's 3rd law of physics. Stronger engines will increase pitch as an effect due increased thrust, which, with the way the engines are placed, will create an even bigger pitch (and increased angle of attack, with an increased risk of stall under certain rare conditions).

A pilot worth their salt would know to counteract such pitch up maneouver (judging they're worth their salt, ofc).

Personally, i wouldnt avoid a MAX, im in fact trying to get to fly in a MAX, but from another airline..
Nicely stated...in fact, without MCAS it's likely neither crash would have occurred. But to the OP fear: those of us who chase miles are immune, but not to dis others who are not.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

That's not the conclusion that the FAA and other governing bodies came to.

The issue wasn't MCAS as a concept - it's pretty basic stuff that many other FBW aircraft also have. It just was implemented so atrociously that in non-perfect conditions, it flipped out.

Whoever signed off on a flight control system using a single sensor is an idiot.
mguinness likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Antarius
The issue wasn't MCAS as a concept - it's pretty basic stuff that many other FBW aircraft also have. It just was implemented so atrociously that in non-perfect conditions, it flipped out.
I'm not certain if you fully understand FBW, but in this instance: it was NOT. In any event, the OP, and I hate to mention it, I said the same a couple of years ago on this very forum....long before the Monday morning quarterbacks took up the cause.
The Max is a POS, pure and simple...a great A/C company would have ditched it and and moved on to more elegant designs.
For AA it's certainly about money.
Realistically, it probably won't crash so much anymore, although I guess only time will tell....
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:59 pm

That's not the conclusion that the FAA and other governing bodies came to.

Whoever signed off on a flight control system using a single sensor is an idiot.
That wasnt entirely part of the FBW system but more of the protection systems, which obviously will correct a "massive" increase of pitch like that. Remember that A321 that had a problem with the ADIRS, thats exactly an MCAS situation.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:13 pm

Is there a way to avoid 737 max or should I continue to avoid American Airlines indefinitely. Now their flight search doesn’t even give a complete name of the plane and just says 737 so their loss as I am avoiding everything
I think you should avoid flying any airline where you and I might be competing for the same upgrade seat.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GaryZ
I'm not certain if you fully understand FBW, but in this instance: it was NOT. In any event, the OP, and I hate to mention it, I said the same a couple of years ago on this very forum....long before the Monday morning quarterbacks took up the cause.
The Max is a POS, pure and simple...a great A/C company would have ditched it and and moved on to more elegant designs.
For AA it's certainly about money.
Realistically, it probably won't crash so much anymore, although I guess only time will tell....
You can assuredly take it up with the FAA, EASA and others; they seem to think MCAS or some form of protection was needed. The concept isn't materially different than ADIRU or any other form of envelope protection.

That wasnt entirely part of the FBW system but more of the protection systems, which obviously will correct a "massive" increase of pitch like that. Remember that A321 that had a problem with the ADIRS, thats exactly an MCAS situation.
Right. I don't recall an a321 (jog my memory, if you would please), but I do remember a QF a333 that experienced something similar.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 4:08 pm

You can assuredly take it up with the FAA, EASA and others; they seem to think MCAS or some form of protection was needed. The concept isn't materially different than ADIRU or any other form of envelope protection.

Right. I don't recall an a321 (jog my memory, if you would please), but I do remember a QF a333 that experienced something similar.
Lufthansa flight 1829

Last edited by Etheereal; Oct 3, 2022 at 4:43 pm
Old Oct 3, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itripreport
If your itinerary includes a 737 through Miami... then I got bad news for you...
Speaking of which, is there any reason why AA chose to concentrate the MAX almost out of Miami?
All the JFK-PHX direct flights are on MAX-8s. I just changed my flight to EWR-PHX. That's on an Airbus, so wider seats in coach anyway, even ignoring the MAX issues.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lufthansa filght 1829
Thank you.

Wow, this is very similar indeed albeit both AoA probes were blocked here
Old Oct 3, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
All the JFK-PHX direct flights are on MAX-8s. I just changed my flight to EWR-PHX. That's on an Airbus, so wider seats in coach anyway, even ignoring the MAX issues.
IMO, EWR is the CRJ200 of airports, so it negates any marginal gains by going through it!
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO, EWR is the CRJ200 of airports, so it negates any marginal gains by going through it!
An inch of extra seat width for a long flight is not marginal.

But yeah the airport is a dump. It's easier to get to from Manhattan though.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I try to avoid both the MAX and regular 738 on AA as much as possible. Only one decent row of MCE seating. SNA went almost all 738 flying earlier this year, whereas SAN has mostly remained 321s. The only way I'll fly out of SNA now with AA is if there is a really good fare, even though I like the airport better than SAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.