Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How does AA have such pleasant employees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does AA have such pleasant employees?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I 100% agree. When I travel for vacations, I often do so with at least three friends. On the same itineraries using the same clubs interacting with the same staff and eating the same food, some are complaining about this or that while others couldn't be happier.
But this would be true on any airline, right? If you flew DL, some would be fine, others complaining.

I think the fact that people reply to the same situation differently is a side topic to the one posed by the OP. Per the OP, the same person would have better experiences on AA than elsewhere.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
But this would be true on any airline, right? If you flew DL, some would be fine, others complaining.

I think the fact that people reply to the same situation differently is a side topic to the one posed by the OP. Per the OP, the same person would have better experiences on AA than elsewhere.
The OP doesn't really say AA is better than all others, just a few others. Regardless, your point is well taken. I also used to fly NW a lot back in the day. Almost everyone I know called them "Northworst", which was not at all my experience.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I can't tell if the OP is joking here. One trip through PHL will change that for sure.
Or through MIA!
bchandler02 and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Per the OP, the same person would have better experiences on AA than elsewhere.
Better than some (perhaps many) other transportation companies.

Brightline in Florida tops them all in terms of amazing customer service and helpful, super employees.

I’ve also found Delta to be very nice.

I haven’t had problems in PHL or MIA although my experiences in both have been limited to Admirals Clubs, mostly.

Last edited by WeekendTraveler; Sep 26, 2022 at 4:15 pm
Old Sep 26, 2022, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Parkdesigner
Agreed. Just said as much in the AA survey that popped up in my inbox a few hours ago.

From 2013-2018 I was doing TATL and TPAC at least once a month each, and found the long haul crews to be (for the most part) very personable.
Equally I felt domestic service was just a step up from standing in line at the DMV.

During and now post-pandemic, I find the exact opposite to be the case.
My short hops across the Midwest and South have been very pleasant, with cabin crew I would say felt as if they were really trying to lean into friendly customer service wherever possible.
My four TATL tips in the past six months... at best it's been indifferent crew, and many times just downright rude. I've found I'm not alone in this observation... other road warrior types remarking the same when "there is no more XXXX on the plane" or "nothing can be done about the broken XYZ for the next 11 hours."

Honestly, I think we all know it's not the crew's fault the very expensive seat won't recline, or they forgot to cater any specific drinks this trip... but maybe not bark it at us? (I know, I know, like asking a zebra to change its stripes!)
The last two pursers to London each made it clear, we are cattle, in their way, and WHY won't we just be good and go to sleep. STOP asking for things. Pffft!
I echo your experience on short versus long hauls.

my domestic short hauls have had fairly pleasant flight attendants who were engaged and present in doing their jobs.

My past three TATL flights with AA have been terrible - the flight attendants grunt or don’t speak at all while serving, act annoyed when asked for water refills during dinner service, try to skip serving courses, and generally attempt to avoid any work before landing. It’s lazy and rude.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Gate agents at BNA have have been horrible to me despite my respectful questions regarding medical exemptions for carryons while flying in F. Extremely rude to me.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I have to echo the OP's sentiments. Every AA flight I've taken in the last couple of years has been nothing short of enjoyable in nearly every aspect.

-J.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by jlemon
Or through MIA!
I’ve flown through MIA dozens of times and can’t recall a single bad experience. Just some quite good ones.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Blumie
I’ve flown through MIA dozens of times and can’t recall a single bad experience. Just some quite good ones.
Unfortunately, this has not been our experience specifically with regard to MIA. Such as losing our first class seats, having to remain overnight at MIA due to late flights or cancellations and having to provide our own lodging at our personal expense, etc. etc. And several times we've encountered AA customer service agents at MIA who were downright hostile.

However, I will say that we usually have a good experience when connecting via DFW.
Antarius and becks1 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
All AA's employees I have met are far nicer than I would be if I had to deal with what they see day in and day out.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
AA less than 50/50 for me. Pre-pandemic, I was at a 90% rate of upgrade, before work travel ceased, so most of this is based on medium and short haul F experience between DFW or PHX and spoke routes.

Most AA-metal domestic routes have pleasant enough FAs, but only about 25% of those routes have "attentive" FAs. It's always a nice treat to get one who actually goes the extra mile, always makes sure I have fresh bottles of whiskey, or a fresh beer. On regionals, I get crap service almost the entire time, and on international trips, I just got downright horrible service, to the point of being sneered at for asking for a fresh drink an hour after dinner while the FA plays on their phone behind a curtain.

The only GAs I've really ever had an issue with were at AUS. Same ones every time I flew out of there, and they were straight up rude.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:43 pm
formerly rt23456p

Stop compaining about AA staff! Look at BA first!
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
My experience has been generally positive in last 15 years of regular flying with AA. Can’t recall any unpleasant experience at Admirals club.
After covid, upgrades have been challenging but crews have been nothing sort of extraordinary.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I can't tell if the OP is joking here. One trip through PHL will change that for sure.
I don't think that's an AA problem, that's an... Uh... PHL problem?

I've had great AA service, just never in PHL.
JoeWoodstock and Parkdesigner like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
April fools starts earlier and earlier every year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.