Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How does AA have such pleasant employees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does AA have such pleasant employees?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
As someone who’s been flying AA (and, before that, US Airways) since the 1990s, I can count on one hand the number of bad employees who I’ve encountered.

I find flight crews, Admirals Club staff, gate agents and phone agents to be pretty pleasant and professional almost all of the time (and in many cases, very nice). They are certainly more likeable than employees of a few other carriers.

How does AA find people who are consistently pleasant? Is it a mandated corporate culture, hiring practices or something else?

I’ve definitely seen a range from Brightline (amazingly good) to a few mass transit providers (mostly fine but with some really awful people here and there) so not all transportation companies are equal.

Thanks.

EDITED TO ADD:

I’m serious.

I almost never check in at the airport or deal with ticket counters.
I generally agree. Like most of us, I do come across some agents are indifferent to providing good service, all agents are all generally very friendly.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I think if you have a positive attitude and friendly demeanor, you will find that your interactions with others are generally more pleasant.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I think if you have a positive attitude and friendly demeanor, you will find that your interactions with others are generally more pleasant.
This
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Most of the AA agents were friendly, but Delta has the most friendliest employees I've ever come across. Extremely friendly crew and airport staff. But as another poster here pointed out, be respectful and kind to them as well! I always thank them for their service and time even in the check-in counters, and watching them smile out of genuine happiness is really wholesome. In fact, when I thanked a veteran who was serving our cabin, I thanked them for their service to the country while disembarking. They smiled and shed a few tears. It made my day and I bet it did theirs too! )
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I have now around 100 segments on AA over the last couple years and have not noticed the infamous surly AA service at all. My experiences have all been great.

My 300 segments before AA and AS were all on WN, which is a different experience in terms of service. It's like if Cracker Barrel were an airline-- everyone's Minnesota Nice all the time, they're overly folksy and friendly, always chatting up you and your brood flying to MCO, lame dad jokes over the PA, etc. Detest the faux LUV culture. They smile in your face while giving you absolutely nothing and treating you like crap.

AA is just efficient, not folksy, and some Americans who are used to a more down-home approach to service take that at cold and unfriendly. I would way rather do the AA way, which filters all the way down to the ramp agents. WN departures were shut the door, fool around, shut the cabin door, fool around, push, park in penalty box to fool around, then maybe taxi for take off. AA is d0, shut the door, shut the cabin, lurch from blocks off, then push back. I still can't believe it after getting used to WN-- wait, were pushing back already?!

I'd way rather have efficiency and an actual hard product on the ground than fake friendliness and whimsy any day.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:14 am

My Lord, speaking of ticket counter agents, elite line staffer at CMH the other day went so above and beyond, even despite my protests. Fixed my boarding pass and then wanted to make sure I got to the gate OK as I was flying AS rather than AA (different concourses at CMH). Then he tracked me down at the ATM later to make sure I had my paper boarding pass. Almost uncomfortable levels of service.
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by rt23456p
Stop compaining about AA staff! Look at BA first!
The more I read about flying Air Canada and British Airways, I almost don't even want a passport anymore. Give me AS, AA, and HA, please.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:59 am

Let's see it was an AA employee who once told an entire gate house area to "FUXX off" because 10 minutes after departure time we didn't have a plane and the departure time was not updated. (Someone complained to her supervisor who was at another gate and he claimed "she's my best employee")

It was an AA employee who threw my boarding pass in the trash behind her desk at the check in counter and then tried to convince her supervisor that I climbed over the desk and put it there myself

It was an AA employee who told me off because I pointed out that I wanted my luggage to go to Panama City, FLORIDA not Panama City, Panama (Still not sure how she got that bag tag to print that way but luckily for me another employee heard us and realized what the 'charming' agent had done

It was an AA Business Class flight attendant who we jokingly called "Nurse Rachett" for a 10 hour flight... (We picked that up from the name we heard the other FAs referring to her by)
Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
My Lord, speaking of ticket counter agents, elite line staffer at CMH the other day went so above and beyond, even despite my protests. Fixed my boarding pass and then wanted to make sure I got to the gate OK as I was flying AS rather than AA (different concourses at CMH). Then he tracked me down at the ATM later to make sure I had my paper boarding pass. Almost uncomfortable levels of service.
Was it Joy? She is an 85 YO veteran from the AWA days who is simply fantastic!
salut0 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Been flying AA since 1979...
AA employees back then great
now go back in the last 15 years or so.. Domestic great.. 90/100
International especially in F...25/100
international in J 65/100
international in Y 75/100

Ground staff.. generally 85/100
AA club angels.. 99/100
JoeWoodstock and Parkdesigner like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by AAdamE
My experience over the last 10 years flying mostly out of ORD:
  • (Priority) Check-In Agents - Never friendly, borderline rude - but wildly efficient - so it comes out in the wash
  • Admirals Club - always incredible - every person goes out of their way to create a great experience
  • Gate Agents - Friendlier than the check-in agents in my experience, honest, efficient - I don't break rules (with baggage) and I know the basics (like how upgrades work) so I don't run into snags
  • Flight Attendants - 20% Above and beyond 70% good, 10% horrible (completely rude, spends whole time on phone avoiding doing anything, rolls eyes when asked for water or anything)
This seems pretty accurate to me.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I've never encountered anyone but friendly and chipper at any Admiral's Club. They are always pleasant because most likely they're happy to be staffed there than the ticket counters/check in counters.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:28 am

I've not had a problem this year, but during COVID travel, AA flight attendants were the rudest *itches I've ever seen. Marching up and down the aisle trying to catch someone with their mask not on properly and barking orders at them. Talking loudly at them and causing a scene.
I think they hired their FA's last year were former prison guards. Rough and nasty looking.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
I have to say I'm with the OP on this one.

I've had an occasional shocker of an encounter, but, considering how many times I meet a different AA employee every week, I'm amazed that they can have such a high percentage of nice.

I have a pretty positive view on the world - maybe that's reflected back at me.

All the best, James
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: BA, QF, DL, A3, IHG
Second trip with AA over the weekend BOS-ORD-MCI-CLT-BOS. Consistently good crews (especially Republic on BOS-ORD). No status with AA (but QF Gold). Managed to get moved to the exit row MCE seat across from the jump seat on MCI-CLT just asking at service desk, and after asking at the CLT AC, got rebooked on earlier CLT-BOS flight as MCI-CLT arrived 30 mins early (couldn't wrangle MCE from the gate agents though). All of this in B, so I'm not sure how much was down to just asking and how much was my measly QF status (which doesn't even get complementary MCE unlike BA/IB etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.