Wiki Posts
Search

Using my cc for my wife's award booking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Using my cc for my wife's award booking

So I book her trip using her miles but I want to pay for the associated charge with my card. The system rejects this, saying that the name on the cc must exactly match the passenger's name. Rather than use one of her cards, I continue with my card but substitute her name for mine. No, she is not on this card, but the system accepts her name without hesitation. Everything's hunky-dory, or so it seems.

Is this is another known glitch or is it something for me to worry about?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
It's coded into the web site. It can be overridden by an agent if you call. My wife's name on her AA account is not the same as on her CC so she can't pay online. I would have thought that the card issuer would check for a match so that your payment would have bounced.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

OK

Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JuanTT
So I book her trip using her miles but I want to pay for the associated charge with my card. The system rejects this, saying that the name on the cc must exactly match the passenger's name. Rather than use one of her cards, I continue with my card but substitute her name for mine. No, she is not on this card, but the system accepts her name without hesitation. Everything's hunky-dory, or so it seems.

Is this is another known glitch or is it something for me to worry about?
I have done exactly this, without a problem, and we even have different last names
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

saying that the name on the cc must exactly match the passenger's name.
The name on the CC definitely does not need to match the passenger's name.

It may need to match the name on the account that the miles are being pulled from.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

As do we: different last names. And though "the name on the CC definitely does not need to match the passenger's name" may be true, the system still demands that it does. I'll phone tomorrow and get it fixed.

Last edited by JuanTT; Jul 17, 2022 at 11:11 pm
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
As do we: different last names. And though "the name on the CC definitely does not need to match the passenger's name" may be true, the system still demands that it does. I'll phone tomorrow and get it fixed.
​​​​​What VegasGambler is saying is that the mileage owner's name needs to match the card - as it is your wife's miles, the website is looking for her name. Whether or not she is the passenger isn't the issue you are encountering.

If she bought a ticket for you, it would still need her card online just like if I buy a mileage ticket for my family or SO, it needs my name and not the actual passenger traveling.
Uzzar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.