Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage miles for British Airways flight? REACCOM on AC ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:28 am
Original Poster

I had an Air Canada reservation from Buenos Aires (EZE) to Sao Paulo (GRU) to Toronto (YYZ). Air Canada switched my EZE-GRU leg to British Airways. Now how do I earn miles for that leg? I can't Aeroplan miles on a OneWorld flight (I think) and I collect AAdvantage miles (I don't want Avios points). But if I go to American's request-mileage page and enter my ticket number, it says "we didn't find a match" perhaps because they only recognize the airline code of OneWorld partners?

Thank you.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:03 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I haven't had to request partner miles before, but I don't see a partner airline mileage request form on aa.com. Best you call 800-882-8880. Have all the details like ticket #, PNR, dates, flights, etc.

In hindsight, you''ll now remember next time to give your AA account to the partner airline before the flight.

Depending on your fare class, it may not be a ton of miles if it was booked into a discount coach class.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by PHL
Depending on your fare class, it may not be a ton of miles if it was booked into a discount coach class.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp
50% to be precise for most discounted fare buckets - based on distance flown.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:05 am

What if the ticket is BA market flight, full fare J class? Do I get LP too?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
What if the ticket is BA market flight, full fare J class? Do I get LP too?
Look at the table at the link posted above for fare bucket J...
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Did you keep either the AC rebooking email or your BA BP?

They should have had the new BA ticket number (125-) on them Thats the one to use to get the points into your AA aco.... not your AC ticket number.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Did you keep either the AC rebooking email or your BA BP?

They should have had the new BA ticket number (125-) on them Thats the one to use to get the points into your AA aco.... not your AC ticket number.
Why do you think this exists? If the ticket was issued by AC (on their plate/stock) then there is no 125- ticket number.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Because every time I've been rebooked onto another carrier I've been issued a ticket for that carrier.

AA once rebooked me onto VS. The BP had a 932 (VS ticket stock) number on it. I then used that to claim the VS points after wards.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Because every time I've been rebooked onto another carrier I've been issued a ticket for that carrier.

AA once rebooked me onto VS. The BP had a 932 (VS ticket stock) number on it. I then used that to claim the VS points after wards.
Interesting. When I’ve been rebooked, it’s always been on the ticket stock of the carrier that did the rebooking.
zrh2yvr and orbitmic like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can't you get ORC = Original Routing Credit from Aeroplan based on the AC ticket if that's what you prefer? What were the marketing and operating carriers on your original ticket? It sounds like AC reissued the ticket in advance, so they should have a record of how you were rebooked and not just see a no show for one of the original flights.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:41 pm

*Historically* this was a great deal because you ended up being able to collect miles on both programs (or on the new carrier even if the original ticket was a points award). The ticket the airline issued on BA was a paid ticket and historically would often show up as a full price Y ticket even if it the airline actually paid some discounted rate. *And* the carrier that failed would also, usually after being requested, would issue you miles for your original routing. They have no access to the other airline's program so they don't know you earned for there too.

However in recent years I think a lot of airlines have started making the industry fares used for this rebooking show up as a discounted fare that earns fewer miles.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
I recall many years ago booking a US award ticket on TG and LX going BKK-PEK-ZRH-NYC-YYZ with J on the first leg and F on the others. The first leg was late enough I missed the connection in PEK, and when I arrived an agent was standing there with a J boarding pass for the non-stop PEK-YYZ. I was not impressed at being downgraded and insisted on being rebooked in F. They put me on LH going PEK-FRA-NYC-YYZ, and when I tried submitting the boarding passes later they credited as full-fare F. Those were the days!
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:05 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@adnaps1, can you please clarify what you're looking for here? If you're looking for Aeroplan credit for this flight, as suggested by @MSPeconomist, we have a dedicated thread for original routing credit, in which case I'll ask that further discussion continue there.

If you want information on how to get credit from AA for the BA segment, I'm going to use my moderator powers to bounce this thread back to the AA forum.

As noted above, you can usually double dip both ORC and credit for the flight you actually took in the other alliance.

Originally Posted by zkzkz
However in recent years I think a lot of airlines have started making the industry fares used for this rebooking show up as a discounted fare that earns fewer miles.
I've never seen that. In the past 5 years, I've earned full status credit on AC after being re-booked by both AA and DL, I've earned full status credit on DL after being re-booked by UA and... I forget what else. But the flights have always credited just like normal revenue flights.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. First, I will seek original routing credit from Aeroplan (when I have some time to do so) MSPeconomist . The original booking consisted of flights all operated by Air Canada. The British Airways flight we (four of us) were rebooked on was actually in Business class, so we'll get more than just a few miles

PHL yes, that's a good point - I could have told British Airways at check-in our AA account numbers. zkzkz and Adam Smith , thanks for mentioning the double-dipping. I guess I have to contact British Airways. I'll do that also when I have some time.

UKtravelbear Yes, I have my BA boarding pass, but it has the Air Canada airline code (014) on it.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by adnaps1
Thank you, everyone, for your replies. First, I will seek original routing credit from Aeroplan (when I have some time to do so)
For any questions on that, please check out the ORC thread I linked above.

I guess I have to contact British Airways. I'll do that also when I have some time.

UKtravelbear Yes, I have my BA boarding pass, but it has the Air Canada airline code (014) on it.
I don't think contacting BA is going to do anything for you if you're crediting this to AA, but I know next to nothing about AAdvantage.

So we'll send this back to the AA forum to help you sort out this piece, and ask you to follow up in the Aeroplan ORC thread for any Aeroplan questions.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Moderator
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.