Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to SJO from MIA on Friday

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Flying to SJO from MIA on Friday

So - I'm planning to fly to SJO this Friday. Not having been to MIA in the past, I was looking at the weather forecast with some alarm, as I see there were lot of diversions yesterday due to heavy thunderstorms, and more forecasted for the rest of the week. (Although I think thunderstorms are common in MIA(?))
As I am travelling standby, it is an option for me to go via ATL with Delta instead but from ATL, there's only one flight a day (whereas there are three flights from MIA with AA).
Should I play safe and go via ATL instead?

Thanks!
Old May 30, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Don't know your timings but storms tend to be more common in the late afternoon. So if you're on a morning flight, much less likely to be weather. And it's very unlikely it won't take off at all, if there is weather that doesn't allow landing it may possibly diverted to FLL, PBI, RSW though depending on what the weather is like in those places. In general they come in bursts and one of the big issues is lightning not allowing ground handlers rather than not allowing operations. In that case you can land and likely even make it to a gate, though your luggage may not be offloaded until ground handlers can get there.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Atlanta looks sunny for Friday.
Miami will be rainy, as Florida often is, especially in the afternoon.
I am not sure why you are asking us. You already have AA flights, which you can cancel up until flight time, and receive credit.
If I was doing anything, I would not cancel the AA booking until the weather picture is clearer. For example, if rain is forecast for afternoon, and you have a morning flight, no problem
If light rain, no problem. If hurricane is coming, problem. I remember panicking before an Air Jamaica flight to MBJ in Sept 1999, and MIA was going to close the airport.
If you want to book DL, that's between you and them. I don't know if they look at speculative bookings the same as AA.
For me, it would depend on how big the weather threat was and how much I needed to be in SJO on a certain day.
Old May 30, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by mvoight
Atlanta looks sunny for Friday.
Miami will be rainy, as Florida often is, especially in the afternoon.
I am not sure why you are asking us. You already have AA flights, which you can cancel up until flight time, and receive credit.
If I was doing anything, I would not cancel the AA booking until the weather picture is clearer. For example, if rain is forecast for afternoon, and you have a morning flight, no problem
If light rain, no problem. If hurricane is coming, problem. I remember panicking before an Air Jamaica flight to MBJ in Sept 1999, and MIA was going to close the airport.
If you want to book DL, that's between you and them. I don't know if they look at speculative bookings the same as AA.
For me, it would depend on how big the weather threat was and how much I needed to be in SJO on a certain day.
The OP said they are traveling stand by so it sounds like a non-rev situation where the booking/cancelling/credits etc. aren't really a factor.

I agree with everyone else's advice -- time of day matters. If you're flying standby, presumably you're trying for the first flight of the day anyway? And it seems as back-up options go, Miami has them, ATL does not.
mrdini likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! Should be fine, hopefully!

Yes - it's non-rev so first flight of the day. I guess I was just a bit spooked by the fact that several inbound flights to MIA were diverted to MCO at the weekend. I'd be flying from LHR (I know that the VS5 was diverted to MCO temporarily, while AA39 had to stop for the night) on Thurs & staying in MIA for the night so plenty of room for delays.
Old May 31, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Best of luck. Flying non-rev in general these days is always stressful even with 150 years of seniority on a deadhead to a work assignment.
mrdini likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.