FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying to SJO from MIA on Friday
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2022, 4:46 pm
tylerdurden4543

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by mvoight
Atlanta looks sunny for Friday.
Miami will be rainy, as Florida often is, especially in the afternoon.
I am not sure why you are asking us. You already have AA flights, which you can cancel up until flight time, and receive credit.
If I was doing anything, I would not cancel the AA booking until the weather picture is clearer. For example, if rain is forecast for afternoon, and you have a morning flight, no problem
If light rain, no problem. If hurricane is coming, problem. I remember panicking before an Air Jamaica flight to MBJ in Sept 1999, and MIA was going to close the airport.
If you want to book DL, that's between you and them. I don't know if they look at speculative bookings the same as AA.
For me, it would depend on how big the weather threat was and how much I needed to be in SJO on a certain day.
The OP said they are traveling stand by so it sounds like a non-rev situation where the booking/cancelling/credits etc. aren't really a factor.

I agree with everyone else's advice -- time of day matters. If you're flying standby, presumably you're trying for the first flight of the day anyway? And it seems as back-up options go, Miami has them, ATL does not.