Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Confused about miles exp after talking to an agent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

I`ve read that reinstated miles are only valid for 12 months after initial redemption (unlike DL ad UA, which don`t have that restriction). I asked an agent to clarify this, and she said that there is no 12 months limit. The agent was pretty knowledgable (well, I fed her the legs, but still, some of them can`t even do that), but now I am really confused who to believe.

For example, if I redeem 100K miles on June 1, 2022, then cancel the ticket on September 1 and reinstate the miles - do I have to use those 100K before June 2023, otherwise, they will expire?
Thanks in advance.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ACR2013
I`ve read that reinstated miles are only valid for 12 months after initial redemption (unlike DL ad UA, which don`t have that restriction). I asked an agent to clarify this, and she said that there is no 12 months limit. The agent was pretty knowledgable (well, I fed her the legs, but still, some of them can`t even do that), but now I am really confused who to believe.

For example, if I redeem 100K miles on June 1, 2022, then cancel the ticket on September 1 and reinstate the miles - do I have to use those 100K before June 2023, otherwise, they will expire?
Thanks in advance.
No any activity resets the expiration clock.

So if you redeposit that award on September 1 all of your miles expiration is reset.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No any activity resets the expiration clock.

So if you redeposit that award on September 1 all of your miles expiration is reset.
I am not worried about miles expiration per se (I keep the account active by earning miles - flying or else), but I am confused about those redeemed miles to be wasted if not reused within 12 months after initial redemption.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am not worried about miles expiration per se (I keep the account active by earning miles - flying or else), but I am confused about those redeemed miles to be wasted if not reused within 12 months after initial redemption.
Once you cancel the booking, the miles just return to your account - there is no need to reuse them; they become like any other miles and will only expire should you have no activity for 18 months
Old May 30, 2022, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
No, they do not have to be used in any particular time period; they are just returned to your miles balance.

Where did you read about this special miles expiration time period?
Old May 30, 2022, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No, they do not have to be used in any particular time period; they are just returned to your miles balance.

Where did you read about this special miles expiration time period?
This is from AA.com:
You can cancel your award ticket anytime on aa.com. We will reinstate your AAdvantage® miles up to 1 year after the ticket issue date as long as you cancel your ticket before the first flight departs. If you cancel your trip on aa.com, your miles will be reinstated automatically in many cases.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...ntage-faqs.jsp
Old May 30, 2022, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is from AA.com:
You can cancel your award ticket anytime on aa.com. We will reinstate your AAdvantage® miles up to 1 year after the ticket issue date as long as you cancel your ticket before the first flight departs. If you cancel your trip on aa.com, your miles will be reinstated automatically in many cases
You are just misinterpreting it - this states that you can request for miles to be reinstated if you cancel. Has nothing to do with mileage expiration once reinstated
ACR2013 likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are just misinterpreting it - this states that you can request for miles to be reinstated if you cancel. Has nothing to do with mileage expiration once reinstated
Ok, thank you! I guess I was confused by that "up to 1 year" is because other airlines don`t mention this time frame for cancelation. So no fees to cancel on AA and no restrictions.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Ok, thank you! I guess I was confused by that "up to 1 year" is because other airlines don`t mention this time frame for cancelation. So no fees to cancel on AA and no restrictions.
Sort of. Just make sure the miles are redeposited after you cancel the itinerary. I've never personally cancelled an award ticket, so I'm not sure if that's automatic or if you need to explicitly request it like you would a regular refund.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 1 year time frame is not for cancellation. You need to cancel before your flight leaves. The 1 year timeframe is to get whatever value that's still on the ticket off of it, before it expires.

Other airlines should mention it. It's very standard for tickets to expire in a year, and any value still on the ticket is lost when it expires. This applies to tickets purchased with money as well.

In the case of award tickets, usually the miles are automatically reinstated when you cancel, but (apparently) not always. If they aren't then you need to do it manually before the ticket expires. That's the point of the paragraph you posted.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I cancelled an award ticket about a month ago and the miles were automatically redeposited. But I've seen mentions of people who had to call to get them reinstated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.