Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SFO checkin agent - non-001 ticket means no elite bag benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO checkin agent - non-001 ticket means no elite bag benefits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat
My understanding is you can only attach 1 FFN per PNR. If you try to add another one it will delete the 1st. If that's true, that might explain why your benefits did not populate.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
My understanding is you can only attach 1 FFN per PNR. If you try to add another one it will delete the 1st. If that's true, that might explain why your benefits did not populate.
From the OP:

"My UA and AA FF numbers were in the reservation, and the flights/seats/etc showed up correctly in both UA and AA apps, including E+ and MCE seating, correct boarding groups per my status and upgrade lists."
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
A TA can easily add multiple FFNs to a PNR. (Apollo example from the help screen - >MP*UA1234567*DL12345)

I'd suggest that the OP's travel department contact the AA sales rep to send out a training memo. The only likely thing that would happen by plating on the wrong carrier (and the system wouldn't automatically do that,and I don't remember the last decade that I actually saw a physical plate-issued ticket) is a debit memo back to the issuing agency.
formeraa and chrisny2 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:43 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I love how we still call it plating even though all those metal validation plates are in museums now. I’ve got a PanAm one on my desk.
dw, guv1976, ernestnywang and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
I love how we still call it plating even though all those metal validation plates are in museums now. I’ve got a PanAm one on my desk.
And do you have a manual credit-card imprinter with a "Do not build up anvil" sticker on it?
TravelerMSY and AsiaTraveler like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Wow, I've been away from my computer since wrote the post till just now, had no idea my post would generate so many replies! I wrote it fast and now I realize I omitted one factor (which I don't believe is relevant, but may explain why it's one ticket). This was ticketed by my government travel office, they were govt fares in both directions. And I just had one additional thought- on my outbound I had a flight delay on the first segment which would have blown my connection in DEN, so I was re-routed via IAH (still on UA) from my departure point, wonder if the associated re-ticketing did something untoward?

And the SFO agent's words were something like "Oh, you're on a codeshare, you have a United ticket, so I'll have to charge you for the bag, the fee isn't waived."

Regardless, the consensus seems to be that the agent was wrong.
formeraa, wrp96 and VFR like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
As an occasional government traveler myself, I highly recommend you request split ticketing in the future. It's easy for CWT/SATO to simply issue two separate tickets for the same cost without requiring any additional approvals and helps to avoid all sorts of issues with the operating carrier (this being one of them).

-FlyerBeek
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Wow, I've been away from my computer since wrote the post till just now, had no idea my post would generate so many replies! I wrote it fast and now I realize I omitted one factor (which I don't believe is relevant, but may explain why it's one ticket). This was ticketed by my government travel office, they were govt fares in both directions.
Ah! That might be it. The fare rules for government tickets are generally very loose, in my experience. That might be why the CTA was able to put both flights onto UA ticket stock.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
If this was a government work trip, you should claim it as an expense nonetheless.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A TA can easily add multiple FFNs to a PNR. (Apollo example from the help screen - >MP*UA1234567*DL12345)

I'd suggest that the OP's travel department contact the AA sales rep to send out a training memo. The only likely thing that would happen by plating on the wrong carrier (and the system wouldn't automatically do that,and I don't remember the last decade that I actually saw a physical plate-issued ticket) is a debit memo back to the issuing agency.
This is the correct answer. If I were the OP, I would insist that my corporate travel agent resolve this matter. It is their job to resolve these types of isses.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Wow, I've been away from my computer since wrote the post till just now, had no idea my post would generate so many replies! I wrote it fast and now I realize I omitted one factor (which I don't believe is relevant, but may explain why it's one ticket). This was ticketed by my government travel office, they were govt fares in both directions. And I just had one additional thought- on my outbound I had a flight delay on the first segment which would have blown my connection in DEN, so I was re-routed via IAH (still on UA) from my departure point, wonder if the associated re-ticketing did something untoward?

And the SFO agent's words were something like "Oh, you're on a codeshare, you have a United ticket, so I'll have to charge you for the bag, the fee isn't waived."

Regardless, the consensus seems to be that the agent was wrong.
The re-routing is a CRUCIAL part of this story. Yes, it is 99% likely that the ticket was messed up when you were re-routed. Many agents simply don't know how to do this correctly and sometimes lose/scramble the return portion of the trip (even if it is on the same airline). Note to the OP: If you have a re-route and you are returning on a DIFFERENT airline, it is a great idea to notify your travel agency immediately. Tell them what happened and ask them specifically to check the reservation to make sure it looks good. This may or may not resolve the problem, but a good travel agent can spot a problem and get it fixed quickly.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
The re-routing is a CRUCIAL part of this story. Yes, it is 99% likely that the ticket was messed up when you were re-routed. Many agents simply don't know how to do this correctly and sometimes lose/scramble the return portion of the trip (even if it is on the same airline). Note to the OP: If you have a re-route and you are returning on a DIFFERENT airline, it is a great idea to notify your travel agency immediately. Tell them what happened and ask them specifically to check the reservation to make sure it looks good. This may or may not resolve the problem, but a good travel agent can spot a problem and get it fixed quickly.
It does not seem that there was anything wrong with the underlying reservation, so I dispute your contention that this was a crucial part of the story.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
At this point, rather than guess any further, I recommend OP contact AA, succinctly detail that he was charged for his first bag, provide the record locator, and see what AA says. I would also leave out all the discussion about what happened, discussions with the check-in agent, speculation here (including my own speculation), etc. Just state he was charged when he doesn't believe he should have been, and let the AA rep look for him/herself anew.
catcher1 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
At this point, rather than guess any further, I recommend OP contact AA, succinctly detail that he was charged for his first bag, provide the record locator, and see what AA says. I would also leave out all the discussion about what happened, discussions with the check-in agent, speculation here (including my own speculation), etc. Just state he was charged when he doesn't believe he should have been, and let the AA rep look for him/herself anew.
I don't think that's necessary. Just go to prefunds and request the refund.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
Re-route was handled by the travel agent who did it while in communication with UA; I simply called the TA, they took care of the rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.