Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SFO checkin agent - non-001 ticket means no elite bag benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO checkin agent - non-001 ticket means no elite bag benefits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't think that's necessary. Just go to prefunds and request the refund.
Correct - that's what I meant.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
At this point, rather than guess any further, I recommend OP contact AA, succinctly detail that he was charged for his first bag, provide the record locator, and see what AA says. I would also leave out all the discussion about what happened, discussions with the check-in agent, speculation here (including my own speculation), etc. Just state he was charged when he doesn't believe he should have been, and let the AA rep look for him/herself anew.
And given the possible timelines for getting the refund, coupled with needing to submit my travel expense voucher ASAP, I've decided to not deal with getting the refund from AA but just put the expense on the voucher and get reimbursed. The hassle of trying to give money BACK to the govt after I get a refund is not something I really want to deal with. I will notify our travel office of the experience, and recommend separate ticketing in the future if multiple airlines are involved, and also let them fight for the $35 if they choose to do so (not likely).
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
And given the possible timelines for getting the refund, coupled with needing to submit my travel expense voucher ASAP, I've decided to not deal with getting the refund from AA but just put the expense on the voucher and get reimbursed. The hassle of trying to give money BACK to the govt after I get a refund is not something I really want to deal with. I will notify our travel office of the experience, and recommend separate ticketing in the future if multiple airlines are involved, and also let them fight for the $35 if they choose to do so (not likely).
Did you pay the $35 with a personal credit card or a government credit card? If the latter, wouldn't a refund of the baggage charge just go back to the original form of payment?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Did you pay the $35 with a personal credit card or a government credit card? If the latter, wouldn't a refund of the baggage charge just go back to the original form of payment?
Having to fill out the expense report before he knows the result of the refund request puts the OP in a bad spot. If he doesn't expense it and then doesn't get the refund he is out $35. If he expenses it and then gets the refund his options are to try to give the money back to the government (which is likely a hassle) or just keep the money, which is likely illegal.

$35 is not that much money; I would probably do what he is doing as well.
Eastbay1K and bgasser like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having to fill out the expense report before he knows the result of the refund request puts the OP in a bad spot. If he doesn't expense it and then doesn't get the refund he is out $35. If he expenses it and then gets the refund his options are to try to give the money back to the government (which is likely a hassle) or just keep the money, which is likely illegal.

If a refund were to post to a government-issued credit card, would it still be a hassle for the OP? Presumably he would only use a government card for government expenses. The only thing the government would reimburse him for are expenses not charged to the government card, and those would not be affected by a refund of a baggage fee that had been charged to the card
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
If a refund were to post to a government-issued credit card, would it still be a hassle for the OP? Presumably he would only use a government card for government expenses. The only thing the government would reimburse him for are expenses not charged to the government card, and those would not be affected by a refund of a baggage fee that had been charged to the card
The OP may still have to submit an expense report. And once that expense report doesn't tie out with the details on the underlying govt card due to a refund, some HR drone is going to have a panic attack.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
The OP may still have to submit an expense report. And once that expense report doesn't tie out with the details on the underlying govt card due to a refund, some HR drone is going to have a panic attack.
Agree 100%. The govt here will spend $1,000 to track down $35. Not worth it now that I think about it.
donotblink likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't speak to the government, but this would NOT be a problem on a corporate card and expense report. You expense the $35 as a baggage fee (or whatever the appropriate category is), and it gets paid to the corporate card. Next month, after the refund has been issued, you put in -$35 for baggage fee, and it's deducted from what gets disbursed to the credit card company. Easy peasy.
PresRDC, BWISkyGuy and SirToby like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ovacikar
If this was a government work trip, you should claim it as an expense nonetheless.
True, but the government shouldn't be paying for it, as it should have been included. I am not aware a requirement to use AA ticket stock to get elite benefits.
His booking was on an AA flight number and he was on an AA plane.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
No, the charge will still show on the card for the full amount, so that will match the expense report.
The $35 refund would be a separate item on the credit card.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight
No, the charge will still show on the card for the full amount, so that will match the expense report.
The $35 refund would be a separate item on the credit card.
which would then need a separate expense report.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

Every agency probably has a slightly different way of reimbursing travel expenses.

In my case, yes I have a govt credit card, only to be used for expenses incurred while traveling (hotel, rental car, meals, fuel, etc. But airfare is billed and paid directly between carrier and agency, I have no involvement in that) However, I pay the bill personally after getting reimbursement from the agency (we are responsible for the CC bill; failure to pay it after being reimbursed can mean disciplinary action, credit score impact, etc.). So functionally it's not really different than if I used a personal card.

Yes, the refund would go back to that govt card, and sit there as a credit, except that after a while the credit balance gets mailed to me as a check, and I don't know of any easy way to give that money back to the govt without a bunch of additional paperwork.

So as I said before, simply not.worth.the.hassle. If I spend more than 30 min dealing with this, it has already cost the govt more than $35.
(and posting on FT is on my personal time, before anybody asks! )
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:43 am

what was the flight out of SFO? It wasn’t one of those crazy Skywest flights that have both. An AA and a UA # is it?

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Wow, I've been away from my computer since wrote the post till just now, had no idea my post would generate so many replies! I wrote it fast and now I realize I omitted one factor (which I don't believe is relevant, but may explain why it's one ticket). This was ticketed by my government travel office, they were govt fares in both directions. And I just had one additional thought- on my outbound I had a flight delay on the first segment which would have blown my connection in DEN, so I was re-routed via IAH (still on UA) from my departure point, wonder if the associated re-ticketing did something untoward?

And the SFO agent's words were something like "Oh, you're on a codeshare, you have a United ticket, so I'll have to charge you for the bag, the fee isn't waived."

Regardless, the consensus seems to be that the agent was wrong.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Why would a work related trip rely on personal airline elite status to cover the bag fees? The travel agent should have made the reservation using a proper booking class including bags.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ovacikar
Why would a work related trip rely on personal airline elite status to cover the bag fees? The travel agent should have made the reservation using a proper booking class including bags.
Such a booking class would very likely have cost significantly more than the $35 charged for one checked bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.