Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Operated by PSA No small rollaboard carry on baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Operated by PSA No small rollaboard carry on baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Wiese
I have a quick connection and now I will be fu****.
If you have a legal connection, you should be fine. I've never waited more than a few minutes for valet checked bags.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
I've flown plenty of regional jets with UA, DL, AA over the years and this has been an issue with Express Jet (UA and now gone) and Piedmont (AA). Within the last month, had FA on Piedmont E145 get downright nasty about it. I have a small Tumi underseater I bought specifically because it fits in the E145 overhead without a problem, and has been on plenty, including the inbound E145 flight the day before on another carrier (as I recall). She said is because the bags are heavy and break the overheads ... nevermind my computer bag which weighs more but has no wheels went into overhead. Even the gate agent wondered why so many duffle bags and small bags were coming back up to get tagged, as the FA was turning away ALL non-personal item carryons. I gate checked the Tumi, we were late touching down and waited 10 minutes for the bag, I was grateful I had 3hr connection. I have no problem with airline rules, but the inconsistency between the regional carriers and variety of "reasons" is what is so frustrating and annoying.
spiritkat09 likes this.

Last edited by dorisrpas; Apr 15, 2022 at 9:15 pm Reason: Was mistaken about carrier - my experience was actually on Piedmont. So corrected from PSA to Piedmont.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:10 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by dorisrpas
Within the last month, had FA on PSA E145 get downright nasty about it.
PSA doesn't operate the E145. They have the CRJ-700 and CRJ-900. No 50-seaters.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by LarryJ
PSA doesn't operate the E145. They have the CRJ-700 and CRJ-900. No 50-seaters.
After I wrote that and your clarification (thank you), I think it was actually Piedmont. I corrected above.
kochleffel likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 4:27 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My 10-year old EP luggage tag was broken on a valet-checked bag from a recent flight. Bags also get beaten-up pretty quickly.
Old May 7, 2023, 12:30 pm
Original Member

Policy Change?

I just boarded PSA AA Flight #5036 DFW-BHM on a CRJ-900. Three roller boards were allowed in First class. Mine was not. Mine was smaller than this allowed and is always allowed on Delta CRJ flights. I am just curious when this policy changed.
Old May 15, 2023, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by CALeeIII
I just boarded PSA AA Flight #5036 DFW-BHM on a CRJ-900. Three roller boards were allowed in First class. Mine was not.
That's because the other passengers had roll-aboard luggage, whereas you were trying to bring a piece of wood onto the aircraft.
flyer703, cmd320 and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old May 15, 2023, 1:53 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by arlflyer
That's because the other passengers had roll-aboard luggage, whereas you were trying to bring a piece of wood onto the aircraft.
Point taken. And that also explains why Delta allows it. Thanks.
arlflyer likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
And here I was thinking the word was "rollerboard"...
deeruck and arlflyer like this.
Old May 15, 2023, 3:19 pm

Now that being said, with my snark out of the way, my personal experience is that anything that looks like a suitcase is a toss-up when it comes to the CRJs. Usually the GAs will deny them wholesale because they don't want people trying to fit them, failing, and then having to come back up the jetbridge for valet tags. To be safe, I've just gone to a duffel for all CRJ flights.

But more importantly, I'd like to see PSA go away altogether. Any flight that they operate is just a mess of operational issues piled onto the bad equipment. My main business route keeps flipping between them (with CR7/9s) and Republic (with E175s) and it is like night and day.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by CALeeIII
I just boarded PSA AA Flight #5036 DFW-BHM on a CRJ-900. Three roller boards were allowed in First class. Mine was not. Mine was smaller than this allowed and is always allowed on Delta CRJ flights. I am just curious when this policy changed.
I've flown PSA CR9's 3x in the last 6 months and was rejected with my midsize roller every time. I even tried carrying it sideways (wheels in the back) but was shot down. Another reason I hate the CRx and strongly prefer ERJ-17x. Although this policy does seem to be unique to PSA.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by flyer703
Although this policy does seem to be unique to PSA.
Yes, as mentioned above this is unique to PSA's operating certificate. Has nothing to do with whether a CRJ overhead can actually accomodate a rollaboard bag (which it certainly can). Even some AA gate agents don't seem to realize this at stations that also service other AA regionals. Saw one get into a loud argument with a PSA FA earlier this year over this exact issue.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 16, 2023, 9:58 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by flyer703
I've flown PSA CR9's 3x in the last 6 months and was rejected with my midsize roller every time. I even tried carrying it sideways (wheels in the back) but was shot down. Another reason I hate the CRx and strongly prefer ERJ-17x. Although this policy does seem to be unique to PSA.
Sounds like this PSA-specific weight and balance program is still in place. It is frustrating for the customers when they see one marketing brand or aircraft type and don't know the specifics behind the actual operator. I had a lengthy delay with United Express a few days ago (operated by Republic) and had to wait on a crew and someone was very loud and adamant in the gate area that it was because "United pilots are going on strike" and citing the articles about the massive UA picketing the day prior. Of course not true.

PSA gets some operational benefit out of this policy (which is as good as law when the FAA signs off on the airline's program and manuals) and in the end benefits customers by way of fewer denied boardings, shuffling around of passengers on board, etc. Sometimes it comes down to some preference or personal vendetta on behalf of the FAA individuals assigned to oversee that carrier's certificate. Sometimes it changes.... I remember when the E-170 came out, Republic (or was it Shuttle America at that point) was prohibited from anything at all other than safety card/airline-provided literature in the seat pockets during take-off and landing. Flight attendants would ask people to remove books, water bottles, etc. Allegiant until a couple years ago was forbidden from allowing underseat bags at the exit row. Cape Air isn't allowed to let passengers use electronics of any sort on the airplane, even in airplane mode, to include noise canceling headphones. None of this translates very well to 99% of the customer base, and to be honest a lot of employees of these airlines can't articulate the reasons or understand there is a difference from other airlines.
Old May 17, 2023, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Yes, as mentioned above this is unique to PSA's operating certificate. Has nothing to do with whether a CRJ overhead can actually accomodate a rollaboard bag (which it certainly can). Even some AA gate agents don't seem to realize this at stations that also service other AA regionals. Saw one get into a loud argument with a PSA FA earlier this year over this exact issue.

-FlyerBeek
Not sure what you mean by "PSA's operating certificate". It's a company policy, not part of any FAA-mandated regulations. I don't ever argue with a FA or GA when challenged, even when - as you say - I know I could easily fit it in F overhead. Just tag it and drop it off at the jet bridge.
Old May 17, 2023, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I strictly avoid PSA flights specifically due to them having this policy. I got hit by this once 4-5 years ago. Never again. I ended up having a heated argument with the captain on the jetbridge after the flight. Such a stupid policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.