Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PDBs Coming Back? (anecdotes, experiences)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDBs Coming Back? (anecdotes, experiences)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:37 am
Suspended

"Service-free" flights?

I regularly fly from GSP-CLT and back. Yesterday, the flight attendant in first class announced, during boarding, that the flight was "service free" and that there would be no drinks or snacks at all. The flight attendant then offered non-alcoholic beverages during boarding, stating that "alcohol can't be offered while on the ground". There were so many "I can'ts" that I figured that the flight attendant really didn't want to serve anything, so I didn't even bother asking for a glass of water.

Is this new? Are some flights now "service-free"? This flight was on a regional carrier, if that matters.

I then had a connecting flight, and the flight attendant in first class (mainline AA) was fantastic, starting with pre-departure drinks (of any kind).

Thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Is this new? Are some flights now "service-free"? This flight was on a regional carrier, if that matters.

I then had a connecting flight, and the flight attendant in first class (mainline AA) was fantastic, starting with pre-departure drinks (of any kind).

Thanks.
Anything under 250 miles is beverages on request.

I’m reference to PDBs there’s some restrictions for mainline in certain states. But overall there’s no restrictions in most US cities.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Did a DCA-LGA round trip end of last week; full PDB service both ways, altho coffee wasn’t available on the northbound flight. I agree the plastic cups they’re using now seem very flimsy and small, not the same as they were using before. Glassware once airborne both ways.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by PhillipTaylor

I’m reference to PDBs there’s some restrictions for mainline in certain states. But overall there’s no restrictions in most US cities.
Every sub 250 mile flight I've been on there's been a beverage service unless there's bumpy air. This has included IAH/DFW, MIA/TPA, DCA/LGA and ATL/CLT. Now PDBs are another matter and it's usually (but not always) been just one round in air.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I have always had proactive beverage service on countless DFW-OKC flights in F. This includes mainline, Mesa, Skywest, and Envoy. Even during the worst of the covid service reductions. That's a 175 mi flight.

Originally Posted by EXP100
Every sub 250 mile flight I've been on there's been a beverage service unless there's bumpy air. This has included IAH/DFW, MIA/TPA, DCA/LGA and ATL/CLT. Now PDBs are another matter and it's usually (but not always) been just one round in air.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:46 pm
Suspended

I’ve flown CLT-GSP and DCA-LGA for years, including in January, and drinks were offered at least in the air.

Yesterday’s flight had no drinks and no snacks at all in the air- it was a “service free” flight. Nothing could even be requested. I’d never heard that before.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by EXP100
sorry, I probably should clarify that the 250 rule is MC. FC is always offer beverage once safe to do so, only time it’s not offered in FC is when the flight doesn’t break 10k feet.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Tuesday, I flew BOS-JFK (A321T), JFK-MIA (772), and MIA-SJU (normal mainline) -- 0 for 3 on PDBs. Good service on all the flights but no PDBs...
Yesterday I flew SJU-CLT-PWM. Finally got a PDB on SJU-CLT. Great service on both flights.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
FC is always offer beverage once safe to do so, only time it’s not offered in FC is when the flight doesn’t break 10k feet.
Or when the FA doesn't feel like offering a service in FC. I'd say roughly 25% of my very short (<250mi) AA flights have provided no service in F since the beginning of COVID.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:43 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
sorry, I probably should clarify that the 250 rule is MC. FC is always offer beverage once safe to do so, only time it’s not offered in FC is when the flight doesn’t break 10k feet.
What was the pre-COVID MC beverage rule?

I recall flights under a certain length (DFW-AUS, CLT-RDU/CHS/ATL) would have a refreshment service in the back consisting of individual water bottles and OJ cuplets, but that seems to have been discontinued with the pandemic. I think anything over 125mi got the OJ and water in back? There may have been full-service "exemption" routes IIRC.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by CLT

I recall flights under a certain length (DFW-AUS, CLT-RDU/CHS/ATL) would have a refreshment service in the back consisting of individual water bottles and OJ cuplets, but that seems to have been discontinued with the pandemic. I think anything over 125mi got the OJ and water in back? There may have been full-service "exemption" routes IIRC.
pre-covid there was an OJ/water service between 130 - 249 miles.
CLT and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by CLT
It changed over the years, but pre-COVID in 2017 AA stopped full beverage service in Y on flights under 250mi. Main cabin service was limited to small bottles of water or a cup of juice, although more options were supposed to be available on request. https://viewfromthewing.com/american...ective-june-1/

As always, the actual service provided onboard was somewhat inconsistent in my experience.

-FlyerBeek
CLT likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
PHX => LAS - PDB served
LAS => PHX - had to ask. Got one, but no-one else asked or was served one
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
There were PDBs on my ORD-MIA Friday night but it was limited to water and OJ
Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
There were PDBs on my ORD-MIA Friday night but it was limited to water and OJ
So annoying and lazy, especially on late afternoon / evening flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.