Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PDBs Coming Back? (anecdotes, experiences)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

I've been flying domestics on AS and AA at least once a month each and have not experienced made-to-order Pre-Departure Beverages since the pandemic began. Just today I saw a post on social media showing a PDB service on UA and it made me wonder -- has anyone experienced this on other carriers for domestic flights more recently?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA, Bonvoy, Delta, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AADFW
I've been flying domestics on AS and AA at least once a month each and have not experienced made-to-order Pre-Departure Beverages since the pandemic began. Just today I saw a post on social media showing a PDB service on UA and it made me wonder -- has anyone experienced this on other carriers for domestic flights more recently?
I'm a fairly loyal AA flyer, and have never received PDB on any domestic flights since 2019 - even a recent Flagship First flight on LAX-JFK (ridiculous). Have started received this on recent int'l flights though.

I recently flew domestic UA short-haul (DEN-LAS). No PDB either.
AADFW and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i got pdbs a few weeks ago on SFO-JFK and JFK-LAX in F, but it was the old school water/champs/oj as the people behind asked for a bar drink and were told they could not open the bar on the ground.

i was just surprised by the PDB...in a glass even!
roadtriper and onanisland like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EP
Had the OJ/water/Prosecco tray each way on MIA-LAX. Plastic cups, not glass. Nothing on the connections. So perhaps it has returned on the “premium transcons.” When it was offered on the return, she included mimosa in her offering. When I said mimosa, she said to take the Prosecco and the OJ and make my own. Lol.

PS—should that go into the substantive complaints thread? 🤓
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
In the last week of 2021 I flew JFK-LAX in Delta One and was served a PDB in glassware.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
International J and F yes, domestic F nope.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
June 2020, MIA-LAX in J on a 773, champagne. Wow. Amazing how what <used to be the norm> now has become <makes you feel special>

All the rest of 2020 domestic F, nada.

All the best, James
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
With a very few exceptions reported, UA PDB is water or Prosecco. Period. Not made to order/full bar.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: Some more than others
IME, UA has been about the most aggressive in returning service to pre-pandemic standards (AS as well), particularly domestically. They have started PDB's (tray) on flights, but very much YMMV.

As of 11/8 AA returned PDB's to Flagship cabins, I've flown twice (1 F, 1 J) and was not offered a PDB on either flight. Others in this thread and elsewhere have, but still YMMV.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SCChris
(AS as well)
Not in my personal experience on AS. I'm often 45-50 minutes into a given flight before ANY beverage is offered in F. On one recent flight, the entire Y cabin had been served before I was offered anything at all.

Last edited by AADFW; Jan 8, 2022 at 10:05 am
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: Some more than others
Not in my personal experience on AS. I'm often 45-50 minutes into a given flight before ANY beverage is offered in F. On one recent flight, the entire Y cabin had been served before I was offered anything at all.
Sorry, my reference to AS was more about the overall service offering (e.g. hot meals in F at mealtimes on all transcon, Hawaii, midcon mainline flights, food/alcohol for sale in Y, free booze in PC) rather than just PDB's.
AAway likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
AA seems to have PDBs on premium transcon flights currently — I’ve gotten sparkling wine on JFK-LAX and LAX-MIA the past couple of months.

I was also very pleasantly surprised to get some bubbles before a recent UA LAS-LAX flight, which even came with a refill after a brief departure delay was announced.

I agree with the poster above — UA has been the most aggressive about returning to pre-pandemic standards. AA has mostly done it for premium transcon and international routes only.

And who knows what on earth DL thinks they’re doing currently (oh, how the mighty fall).

AS was always terrible about PDBs unless you were content with a small bottle (now box) of water or were flying to Hawaii and you were lucky enough to get a MaiTai.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I highly doubt PDBs will come back in regular domestic F while the entire Y cabin remains dry. There's no way the APFA will be down with that - far too much work COVID risk.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I highly doubt PDBs will come back in regular domestic F while the entire Y cabin remains dry. There's no way the APFA will be down with that - far too much work COVID risk.

-FlyerBeek
Exactly.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by metallo
AS was always terrible about PDBs unless you were content with a small bottle (now box) of water or were flying to Hawaii and you were lucky enough to get a MaiTai.
I was on an AS flight last year out of LAX when a female F passenger requested a PDB and the (particularly odious) male FA said that the FAA had banned them due to Covid. She challenged him to cite the FAA rule and another passenger behind her, obviously sensing that this would end up badly, intervened to back up the FA. So yeah, not holding out much hope that AS will be taking custom PDB orders on domestic flights anytime soon. It's a real shame because their scheduled service is super convenient otherwise.

Also, I'd rather be given nothing at all pre-departure than be subjected to those "school lunchbox" boxes of water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.