Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
I’m a new Plat with an upgrade for the first time ever. Please help me make sure I have all my ducks in a row. I did search for this info in this AA forum and the 500-mile upgrade thread but didn’t finds the answers.

Domestic upgrade for husband (no status) and myself was confirmed this morning at T-48. I need 3 500-mile upgrades so I went online, bought those and can see them “Available” in my AA Wallet. But I also see Deposited=0 so my question is how do they go from “Available” to “Deposited”? Does that need to be done now or at checkin? Do I need to move them to Deposited or does AA do that?

Thanx for any help and clarification on how all this works!
Old May 29, 2022, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Perdita
I’m a new Plat with an upgrade for the first time ever. Please help me make sure I have all my ducks in a row. I did search for this info in this AA forum and the 500-mile upgrade thread but didn’t finds the answers.

Domestic upgrade for husband (no status) and myself was confirmed this morning at T-48. I need 3 500-mile upgrades so I went online, bought those and can see them “Available” in my AA Wallet. But I also see Deposited=0 so my question is how do they go from “Available” to “Deposited”? Does that need to be done now or at checkin? Do I need to move them to Deposited or does AA do that?

Thanx for any help and clarification on how all this works!
I believe "Deposited" means earned upgrades. No need to worry. Is there a line that shows "Purchased"?
Old May 29, 2022, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
I believe "Deposited" means earned upgrades. No need to worry. Is there a line that shows "Purchased"?

Sorry the pics are so big. When I click “View details” in the first pic, I get a pop up that is the second pic. But nothing that says Purchased, just “Available” as shown.
Old May 29, 2022, 5:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Apologies for what I'm sure is an obvious question but I simply cannot find a clear answer at aa.com or anywhere else! I am AA Platinum; companions traveling with me on same reservation receive checked baggage allowance and Boarding Group 3 with me, correct?
Old May 29, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
Apologies for what I'm sure is an obvious question but I simply cannot find a clear answer at aa.com or anywhere else! I am AA Platinum; companions traveling with me on same reservation receive checked baggage allowance and Boarding Group 3 with me, correct?
Correct. All passengers on your reservation should be able to select MCE seats in advance as well.
EJRofChicago likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by vasantn

It’s all good! After I checked in this morning, the pop up changed to this, so the upgrades are deposited and show as purchased like you asked. I have our boarding passes so it looks like I did have my ducks in a row! 😂
Old May 30, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Perdita

It’s all good! After I checked in this morning, the pop up changed to this, so the upgrades are deposited and show as purchased like you asked. I have our boarding passes so it looks like I did have my ducks in a row! 😂
let us know if you actually get the upgrade…
Old May 30, 2022, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
let us know if you actually get the upgrade…
I believe I did as I was able to check in this a.m. and have boarding passes that show the upgraded seats for hubby and I.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:09 pm

Status Benefits on Finnair?

EXP flying on Finnair for the first time. AA's site states that AAdvantage members receive the miles/points but then is vague in referencing "additional benefits when traveling." Are there any and, if so, what are they?
Old May 30, 2022, 6:29 pm

Haven’t booked an AA award in a while so here goes.

I currently have LAS-DFW-HEL in MileSaaver J (57.5k) for next month. This was booked a couple months ago and I need to add HEL-MXP in J (shows available on the website) as part of the same award. I called and the first agent said she needs to find current availability from LAS-MXP to add it. The second agent didn’t even see the HEL-MXP flight. I know there will be extra taxes for the six hour connection but this shouldn’t require a reprice, right?
Old May 30, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Dude
Haven’t booked an AA award in a while so here goes.

I currently have LAS-DFW-HEL in MileSaaver J (57.5k) for next month. This was booked a couple months ago and I need to add HEL-MXP in J (shows available on the website) as part of the same award. I called and the first agent said she needs to find current availability from LAS-MXP to add it. The second agent didn’t even see the HEL-MXP flight. I know there will be extra taxes for the six hour connection but this shouldn’t require a reprice, right?
In theory this should be possible however many bad agents now say you need availability on the entire itinerary before making a change so you may have to HUCA a few times.

Also AY can have lots of married segment availability so even though HEL-MXP is available on its own it may not be possible to add it to DFW-HEL.

But definitely try again.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:16 pm

Stupid Loyalty Points question ...

I had two one way tickets -- FNT-ORD-LAS and LAS-ORD-TOL (don't ask LOL). For the outbound, I received 2,496 LPs. For the inbound it was only 1,384. This seems odd, given the distance from ORD-FNT and ORD-TOL are similar. Is it a fare code thing?

ORD-LAS was in L while LAS-ORD was in V.

The points for the hops to/from ORD were similar.

Just trying to get a feel for how the heck the new system works. Haha. Thanks y'all!
Old May 31, 2022, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TheBossMB
Stupid Loyalty Points question ...

I had two one way tickets -- FNT-ORD-LAS and LAS-ORD-TOL (don't ask LOL). For the outbound, I received 2,496 LPs. For the inbound it was only 1,384. This seems odd, given the distance from ORD-FNT and ORD-TOL are similar. Is it a fare code thing?

ORD-LAS was in L while LAS-ORD was in V.

The points for the hops to/from ORD were similar.

Just trying to get a feel for how the heck the new system works. Haha. Thanks y'all!
For travel on AA, Loyalty Points are awarded based on the fare paid, before tax. Neither class of service nor fare basis matters.
TheBossMB likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; May 31, 2022 at 9:42 pm
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Have all Flight Credits been extended, or just for AAdvantage members?

I received the following email from AA saying my credit has been extended until the end of 2022. My kids have Flight Credits from the same cancelled trip. Our AS Mileage Plan numbers were on the reservation, and my kids are not AAdvantage members, so have their Flight Credits been extended also? If not, is there a workaround?

"Your Flight Credit is now valid until September 30, 2022, and can be used for travel through December 31, 2022. Plus, as a valued AAdvantage® member, your credits are securely stored and easily accessible in your wallet on aa.com and in the American app."
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Have all Flight Credits been extended, or just for AAdvantage members?

I received the following email from AA saying my credit has been extended until the end of 2022. My kids have Flight Credits from the same cancelled trip. Our AS Mileage Plan numbers were on the reservation, and my kids are not AAdvantage members, so have their Flight Credits been extended also? If not, is there a workaround?
Not a workaround per se, but you can search of the absolute cheapest 1 way fare and use the credit towards that flight and then get issued a new credit for the remaining balance that restarts the expiration date. Can sometime find some LAX-SFO fares for $29-$39.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.