Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cancelled my flight just a few hours before flight...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA cancelled my flight just a few hours before flight...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Every time I walk by a gate and hear "Group 9 is welcome to board" seemingly 50%+ of the plane gets up and head to the boarding entrance-saw it the other day walking to the AC at DFW. Low fares (and most paxs are getting a low fare, me included) come with "low service." Flights are packed for all carriers. I have no idea where some of you think these mystical seats are appearing. When there's a huge displacement the non elite flyer is going to be totally hosed.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by dls25
I've never seen or heard of DL putting someone another carrier, ever.
Even if your flight is delayed 28 hours.
AA is definitely above DL with interlining.
Delta had a melt-down at ATL 4 or 5 years ago in December and one of the options given online was a UA flight. So at least then they were willing to send you to another carrier to get you to your destination. As I recall, Delta had no options to get my wife to her destination the same day so she took the UA flight and I was barely able to get her to the airport 5 minutes before the bag cutoff for that flight...
Old Aug 9, 2021, 3:38 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, UA Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
American has software that lets the canceled passenger select a different flight without speaking to a person. That option along with the fact that AA has a much larger fleet means non-status passengers will have far more options on American when compared to Spirit (at least). That's an IRROPs benefit, as far as I'm concerned.

One of the contributing factors to Spirit's recent/ongoing meltdown is that they were too cheap to invest in that sort of software. The only option for canceled Spirit passengers is to wait (in person or on the phone) to talk to a human in order to get rebooked. That model isn't horrible if you only have a couple canceled flights daily. However, when you have hundreds of cancelations compounded daily, it becomes a nightmare for everyone.

I looked but wasn't able to determine if Allegiant or Frontier use auto-rebooking or customer-rebooking software. Therefore, they might be better than Spirit.
This may not be true. I was on a cancelled Spirit flight last Saturday, and was able to rebook online on spirit.com (to another city, free of charge)
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by andryas
This may not be true. I was on a cancelled Spirit flight last Saturday, and was able to rebook online on spirit.com (to another city, free of charge)
Strange there was an article about how NK had no self rebooking option and customers had to wait in line for hours.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Why does AA staff have to be so nasty? I get it they’re under a lot of stress. But couldn’t this just easily have been solved had the agent moved the ticket over to Delta?
The agent refusing to give the pax a ticket on another carrier is not the agent being nasty, it is the agent following the policies of her employer.
We might not like it, but let's not blame the agent for it
Old Aug 20, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
So What Was The Resolution?

Originally Posted by Sinead2000
Hello,
My husband and I were supposed to fly from SRQ-DFW-LAS on July 31. We checked in at the airport and checked one bag ($30US). About an hour later, AA cancelled the flight, citing "no crew". Without consultation they booked me on a flight the next day. I told the desk that I did not agree to the change and requested either a) she put us on a later same day flight, or b) issue a refund, or c) put us on another carrier (i.e. Delta or Southwest who had same day flights to LAS). The woman at the desk told me the only way to get to get to LAS was to purchase another flight from another carrier.

Needing to get to LAS that day, I went to the Delta counter. When I explained the situation, the Delta agent told me to tell AA to "send the ticket over" or something to that effect. I told this to the AA agent, who told me my ticket was nonrefundable and that she wouldn't do that because I wasn't a first class passenger. Long story short...she was very rude (so much so in fact, that another AA agent came out from behind the desk later to apologize to me for her colleague's conduct). We retrieved our bag and purchased tickets on Delta.

We are out the value of our ticket, the $30US fee for the checked bag, and one of our seat selections. For some reason, AA refunded one of the seat selection fees.

If you've read this far...thank you! I know that to phone AA, I will be on hold for a very long time, so I am wondering if someone can give me some advice as to what my options are. I cannot believe that my only option was to accept another flight on a completely different day. Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated (btw- I booked the ticket through Expedia.)

Thanks very much in advance,

Sinead
Maybe I missed it, but I presume somehow you are getting a refund for the flight not taken?
Old Aug 20, 2021, 4:22 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I’m late to the party, but if American truly took control of the ticket from Expedia, you can just put the ticket number into prefunds.aa.com for a refund request. Select “cancellation/schedule change” as the reason. I dunno about the process for seat fees.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by dls25
I've had AA and UA rebook me on other carriers but not DL. They would rather delay your flight 28 hours and give you pizza than rebook on a competing carrier.
Well, you won't believe this, but your experience is not the only one out there. DL's system auto-rebooked me on AC when storms cancelled JFK-YUL a few years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.