Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cancelled my flight just a few hours before flight...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA cancelled my flight just a few hours before flight...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2021, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
For kicks and giggles the Y/no status traveler accounts for what % of AA flying customers? I have no idea. Greater than 50%? I wonder if DL and UA have similar policies.

How many people do you think know if AA goes mx and you are a kettle you get nothing and like it?
UA has put me on DL when my JAX_ORD UA flight cancelled due to MX.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
While very sympathetic to OP’s plight, especially as it occurred at my home airport, i still struggle to understand what value at all that OTA’s like Expedia bring to the table.

My company employs 3rd party OTAs who, while friendly and available 24/7, are likewise 100% useless in these situations.

Lots of travel “lessons learned”out there for the taking this week. I hope OP gets a satisfying resolution.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
While very sympathetic to OP’s plight, especially as it occurred at my home airport, i still struggle to understand what value at all that OTA’s like Expedia bring to the table.

My company employs 3rd party OTAs who, while friendly and available 24/7, are likewise 100% useless in these situations.

Lots of travel “lessons learned”out there for the taking this week. I hope OP gets a satisfying resolution.
I can’t speak for other OTAs but Expedia can be useful in some circumstances, particularly on mixed airline itineraries. I once did a flight on DL connecting to SN. Neither airline’s website would have been capable of selling that ticket alone but Expedia was able to do both. Luggage checked all the way though, even got a nice upgrade to premium Y on SN (no clue how but the meal was better than the TATL offering on DL).

In general though, I agree OTAs don’t offer much, particularly on simple, one airline domestic itineraries.
crackjack likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dls25
I should clarify, I've never heard of DL rebooking someone on a different carrier domestically in modern times.
Nonsense. I've had DL rebook me on AA, and AA rebook me on DL.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
Nonsense. I've had DL rebook me on AA, and AA rebook me on DL.
I've had AA and UA rebook me on other carriers but not DL. They would rather delay your flight 28 hours and give you pizza than rebook on a competing carrier.
enviroian and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
. A price comes with those $59 fares. You're on your own.
Oh come on. Despite the fact that there are some bargain fares and certain very competitive routes at times, a -lot- of us don't ever get to see those fares because we aren't flying those routes. Fares for me the last 18 months were only about 20% cheaper at best, than prepandemic (and over this summer, if anything they seem more expensive).

Originally Posted by cmd320
I can’t speak for other OTAs but Expedia can be useful in some circumstances, particularly on mixed airline itineraries. ....
Yep, it was a while ago, but when Eyjafjallajökull erupted in 2010, Orbitz was -extremely- helpful in wholesale canceling and refunding my three airline itinerary for a four country trip hopping around Europe where I was to visit friends.
wetrat0 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I've never seen or heard of DL putting someone another carrier, ever.
Even if your flight is delayed 28 hours.
AA is definitely above DL with interlining.
I had a DL flight last September that was delayed. The delay was creating the chance of me missing a connection and was in violation if the MCT. I went to the Sky Club to find out what my options were. My delayed flight was the last flight out that night that would have gotten me to my destination the same day. SC agent offered to put me on a direct AA flight without me even suggesting another airline.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:50 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Why does AA staff have to be so nasty? I get it they’re under a lot of stress. But couldn’t this just easily have been solved had the agent moved the ticket over to Delta?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Sinead2000
Hello,
My husband and I were supposed to fly from SRQ-DFW-LAS on July 31. We checked in at the airport and checked one bag ($30US). About an hour later, AA cancelled the flight, citing "no crew". Without consultation they booked me on a flight the next day. I told the desk that I did not agree to the change and requested either a) she put us on a later same day flight, or b) issue a refund, or c) put us on another carrier (i.e. Delta or Southwest who had same day flights to LAS). The woman at the desk told me the only way to get to get to LAS was to purchase another flight from another carrier.

Needing to get to LAS that day, I went to the Delta counter. When I explained the situation, the Delta agent told me to tell AA to "send the ticket over" or something to that effect. I told this to the AA agent, who told me my ticket was nonrefundable and that she wouldn't do that because I wasn't a first class passenger. Long story short...she was very rude (so much so in fact, that another AA agent came out from behind the desk later to apologize to me for her colleague's conduct). We retrieved our bag and purchased tickets on Delta.

We are out the value of our ticket, the $30US fee for the checked bag, and one of our seat selections. For some reason, AA refunded one of the seat selection fees.

If you've read this far...thank you! I know that to phone AA, I will be on hold for a very long time, so I am wondering if someone can give me some advice as to what my options are. I cannot believe that my only option was to accept another flight on a completely different day. Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated (btw- I booked the ticket through Expedia.)

Thanks very much in advance,

Sinead
I know it's no help now. But you have learned a valuable lesson. Purchasing tickets through third parties (Expedia, Travelocity, and others) can save you time, money, and the hassle of coordinating a trip and they do work well. Right up to when something goes wrong. Then you get finger pointing and long calls to different help line only to be told you have the wrong help line. Many years ago I discovered the hard way. If you absolutely have to get there book your reservations directly. Then at least you don't have to go through the "It's not us to call" routine.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Why does AA staff have to be so nasty? I get it they’re under a lot of stress. But couldn’t this just easily have been solved had the agent moved the ticket over to Delta?
I think it’s part of the training.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL is a no-go in general for AA interline. At one point it was an actual no-go. However they agreed to allow it in very limited circumstances. Basically a non-status AA passenger is unlikely to ever be rebooked onto DL. DL is good about booking onto UA if needed domestically. AA is a last resort option per the agreement between DL/AA.

WN/NK/etc aren't options as they have no agreements with any other carriers.

As for refund, once AA reissued ticket, Expedia lost control of it. Only AA can issue the refund. All fees (bag and seat) should also be refunded.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:45 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
International policies are different than domestic. AA has done things like this as well. I should clarify, I've never heard of DL rebooking someone on a different carrier domestically in modern times.
Has not been my experience with Delta. When my Delta flights get delayed in Portland, the Skyclub agents will proactively protect and book flights on Alaska airlines for me, when asked.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
I am one case, of course, but I was scheduled to fly PEK-DTW-YYZ in business class, but the PEK-DTW was canceled. DL offered a hotel and a flight the next day, but I asked for (and received) a flight from PEK-YYZ on AC.

There was another passenger in economy who overheard, asked, and was also put on the same flight. This is all 1.5 hours before the Dl departure and about 2 hours before the AC flight.

I've never seen or heard of DL putting someone another carrier, ever.
Even if your flight is delayed 28 hours.
AA is definitely above DL with interlining.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Ive had 3 domestic irrops experiences in the past 5 or 6 years involving AA: IAD-SLC, GEG-DCA, and SEA-SAN. IAD-SLC I got re-routed on United; GEG-DCA wound up being a mixed AS/AA itinerary, and SEA-SAN became a mixed AA/UA itinerary.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
I am one case, of course, but I was scheduled to fly PEK-DTW-YYZ in business class, but the PEK-DTW was canceled. DL offered a hotel and a flight the next day, but I asked for (and received) a flight from PEK-YYZ on AC.

There was another passenger in economy who overheard, asked, and was also put on the same flight. This is all 1.5 hours before the Dl departure and about 2 hours before the AC flight.
Even before I was a DM on DL I got rerouted MNL-NRT-DTW-SAT to MNL-HND-LAX-SAT on combo of ANA/UA. I wasnt made to go to NRT from HND to catch a DL flight. Upgraded with miles, they rebooked in business class on ANA/UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.