Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 2889 MZT to Dallas Mechanical 2 Day delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I were on vacation to Mazatlan and were scheduled to return on August 14th with first class tickets. Upon attempting to take off, the captain saw an issue with one of the gauges. This caused him to come to an abrupt stop just before taking off. My wife and I both thought the same thing. We missed our connection. After a few hours and changing out a redundant part, we tried again. The problem was not fixed and we were sent to a hotel. The gate staff were not equipped to handle this as it took hours to get everyone back to the hotel. The following day we got back to the airport at 12:30pm and waited. The flight kept getting pushed back. At 4:30pm the monitor stopped advancing the time. Everyone was getting frustrated with little info. I found out later that the crew called in at 2:30pm to find that the part that was brought in was defective and they stayed at their hotel. Around 6:00pm we were sent back up to the lobby to go through the inefficient process of getting vouchers for hotel, food, and taxi. The next morning we are back at the airport and they are flying in a different plane. I get my boarding pass, but my wife and I get downgraded from first class to economy middle seats about three rows apart for the connecting flight DFW to AUS. An email show up and states that they are giving us each 15,000 miles due to the issue. Should I expect any compensation for the downgrade. We did not use rewards for this flight.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I would write to AA and tell them they owe you financial compensation for the downgrade. Do you know what the difference in price was between first and coach when you bought the tickets? I wouldn't settle for anything less than that difference.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I would write to AA and tell them they owe you financial compensation for the downgrade. Do you know what the difference in price was between first and coach when you bought the tickets? I wouldn't settle for anything less than that difference.
Agreed. That 15K miles they threw at them should be a goodwill gesture on top of the assumed refund delta between Y and F.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Everybody on the plane got the 15K.
becks1 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by LKinser904
Everybody on the plane got the 15K.
Oh. This makes it even more insulting. Does AA expect you to just sit back and grin being downgraded for a product you paid for but didn't receive?

Ugh...this airline is getting really bad.
cmd320 and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well in my case it was the opposite - flat out refused comp but refunded <$100 per ticket when they canceled our flt with seats in F and put us on 5 am flt in coach on B6 (alternative was day long delay missing school and work)

Your time is valuable, we understand that. We know, too, that there's nothing more frustrating than experiencing a cancelled flight. I'm sorry for the experience you described on your return flight with your family from .... I can certainly understand your frustration having a cancelled flight causing you to miss out on part of a day of your vacation while getting re-booked. I can also understand your annoyance at not being given the first class seat you had reserved. Of course it is a let down to travel in coach when you expect the higher class of service.

Naturally you are entitled to a refund for the difference in fare. I have referred all four of your tickets to our accounting department. They will review and process any applicable fare adjustment. Should you need to contact personnel in that department:

American Airlines Passenger Refunds

4000 E Sky Harbor Blvd.Phoenix, AZ 85034

You can also click this link https://www.aa.com/selfServiceRefund.../status/lookup and enter ticket number ...... Most refunds are processed within 10 business days from the day of the request (You will not be able to see the request on aa.com/refunds for a couple of days from today- since the request was just sent over).

It's not our approach to offer compensation for an issue such as yours, it is for this reason I must respectfully deny your request for compensation.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 1:19 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
…my wife and I get downgraded from first class to economy middle seats about three rows apart for the connecting flight DFW to AUS. An email show up and states that they are giving us each 15,000 miles due to the issue. Should I expect any compensation for the downgrade. We did not use rewards for this flight.
Was the downgrade only for the DFW AUS segment? Were you in F MZT to DFW? While I agree 15,000 is shabby and you deserve the fare difference for the downgraded leg, if just the DFW AUS leg, it is only a one hour flight. Surely being separated for an hour isn’t the end of the world?
Old Aug 20, 2021, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Was the downgrade only for the DFW AUS segment? Were you in F MZT to DFW? While I agree 15,000 is shabby and you deserve the fare difference for the downgraded leg, if just the DFW AUS leg, it is only a one hour flight. Surely being separated for an hour isn’t the end of the world?
Of course it was not the end of the world. I was simply trying to explain the facts so I can find out what a fair compensation would be. These kind of responses are not helpful.
GrumpyYoungMan and ezefllying like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 5:08 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Of course it was not the end of the world. I was simply trying to explain the facts so I can find out what a fair compensation would be. These kind of responses are not helpful.
the post actually is helpful because there is a difference between being downgraded on the MZT to DFW flight or just the short DFW to AUS flight.

your original post does not make this entirely clear. if you were downgraded for the MZT flight, yes 15k is a slap in the face.

if it was just the AUS leg...well, i would still argue for more than 15k for the inconvenience of the 2 day delay, but probably little more will actually materialize for only the downgraded AUS leg.
SJOGuy and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 5:32 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
...I get my boarding pass, but my wife and I get downgraded from first class to economy middle seats about three rows apart for the connecting flight DFW to AUS.
OP did clarify which segment was downgraded it seems.
LKinser904 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 5:35 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
The fare difference between F and Y on DFW-AUS usually is around $175. So this would be what I`d ask for and expect in compensation.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg
The fare difference between F and Y on DFW-AUS usually is around $175. So this would be what I`d ask for and expect in compensation.
Thank you. This is the type of information that is helpful.
dciolli likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pittie Pup
OP did clarify which segment was downgraded it seems.
and said nothing about the first flight so yes the assumption is the OP flew F from MZT but that is not a given in these parts, especially when complaining about downgrade comp on what is a very short sector.

the focus for increased comp should be on the 2 day delay with the downgrade as an added bonus in a complaint.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Well you made a point of saying you were separated and sat three rows apart so it seems it was a big deal otherwise why mention it? As I said in my post, 15k is shoddy and you deserve the fare difference between F and Y which answered the question you were asking so I believe it was helpful to clarify that you were downgraded only on the one hour flight from DFW-AUS.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Concentrate on "I paid for first I flew coach I am due the fare difference". There is a lot of fuzzy diluting your primary point. But as many people have found on this board there is a difference between fare classes. There is paying for absolute First. There is also paying for a coach bucket with an an automatic upgrade--which costs less but does not transfer over to IRROPS.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by jayer; Aug 20, 2021 at 1:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.