Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/lhr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
Technically I’m still waiting for a bag that got lost at Heathrow two years ago. There’s no way I could pack enough to cover that delay.
No problems at all with the baggage. We did have to check ourselves in again when we got to T3 in the morning, with a complete doc check. Somewhere along the way someone fumble-fingered Mrs. greg5's ESTA and it got cancelled, so when we got to SEA, we got a nice tour of the customs and immigrations operations at the airport. So much for not doing OLCI to avoid the ESTA cancellation.
DrinkSlinger likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by tjcxx
The T5 arrivals lounge reopened a few days ago. As for access for T3 arrivals passengers, it is not completely clear. This is the oneworld wording:-
  • British Airways customers arriving at LHR in First or Club World cabins. British Airways Executive Club Gold card holders arriving on a long-haul British Airways flight. American Airlines customers arriving at LHR in First or Business Class cabins. American Airlines Concierge Key card holders arriving on a long-haul American Airlines flight.
Note the "arriving at LHR". No mention of terminal.

When the AA arrivals lounge at T3 was being refurbished, T3 arrivals were indeed welcome in the T5 lounge.

I'd say it's worth a try. If you do, please report back.
I arrive at T3 in a few weeks. I'm certainly not going to trek over to T5 arrivals lounge for a coffee. Come on cheap AA open up the T3 arrivals lounge already.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
I arrive at T3 in a few weeks. I'm certainly not going to trek over to T5 arrivals lounge for a coffee. Come on cheap AA open up the T3 arrivals lounge already.
The AA Arrivals Lounge is likely to be the last place they will open system wide. Low utilization, high cost. Don't get me wrong, I love the place. But focusing on on opening up the Flagship Lounges is where their efforts will be for the time being. Complex logistics etc. are involved, and many more people will utilize those than the Arrivals Lounge at LHR.
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I'm sure it was somehow possible, but generally speaking if your connection was from T5, you didn't have access to the T3 lounges. Of course, if your connection was from T3, then no issue. The AA Arrivals Lounge is not open either, so even if you were willing to go through immigration, that option is not available.

Even without exiting airside, LHR has always required re-clearing security, even if staying in the same terminal.
AM I correct to assume the same is true when connecting the other way (T3 to T5?)
We'll be landing in T3 on a AA flight, then connecting to BA intra-Europe in T5. Is there anyway for us to check out the new Amex Plat lounge, which is in T3, or are we only able to experience lounges in T5 during our layover?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bostonbali
AM I correct to assume the same is true when connecting the other way (T3 to T5?)
We'll be landing in T3 on a AA flight, then connecting to BA intra-Europe in T5. Is there anyway for us to check out the new Amex Plat lounge, which is in T3, or are we only able to experience lounges in T5 during our layover?
Don't even bother with the AMEX lounge. The BA lounge in 5 is beautiful.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by enviroian
Don't even bother with the AMEX lounge. The BA lounge in 5 is beautiful.
Due to schedule changes, we have 4-5 hours to kill both ways (4 outbound, 5 on the return), so I was hoping to mix it up a bit...
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Yes it does. You will have to head to T5
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can go through connections in to T3. You need to ensure you leave enough time to get to T5 though and go through security there - you must not arrive in T5 any later than 35 mins before your flight’s scheduled departure time.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
You can go through connections in to T3. You need to ensure you leave enough time to get to T5 though and go through security there - you must not arrive in T5 any later than 35 mins before your flight’s scheduled departure time.
Wait, so it is possible to get back into T3 (same terminal we land at), even though our connecting flight is actually taking off from T5? That seems to be different from what others on this thread are saying?!?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:34 am

Wait, so it is possible to get back into T3 (same terminal we land at), even though our connecting flight is actually taking off from T5? That seems to be different from what others on this thread are saying?!?
yes it’s perfectly doable at T3. Follow the signs for flight connections T3. When you get to the bp check before connections security explain you want to use the amex lounge and they will let you past.

in order to leave T3 airside there are some diagrams in the T5 connection guide in the pots about T3 connections (see my signature for a link). You get the airside bus to T5, have a bp check there and go through security again.

It’s T5 where there is a strict limit about going airside unless you have a bp for a flight departing T5.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes it’s perfectly doable at T3. Follow the signs for flight connections T3. When you get to the bp check before connections security explain you want to use the amex lounge and they will let you past… It’s T5 where there is a strict limit about going airside unless you have a bp for a flight departing T5.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Do we know how long the AA JFK flights will remain at T5 - mid December?

Schedule changes have BA now booking me arriving at T5 (from AMS) at 1520 and departing for JFK at 1705. Nervous about this! I'm tempted to see if there is a later, more comfortbale connection.

On the return I am due to arrive JFK at 0700 (on AA) and depart on BA at 0805. I realise this is impossible so will have to call anyway.

Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by LSunbury
Do we know how long the AA JFK flights will remain at T5 - mid December?

Schedule changes have BA now booking me arriving at T5 (from AMS) at 1520 and departing for JFK at 1705. Nervous about this! I'm tempted to see if there is a later, more comfortbale connection.

On the return I am due to arrive JFK at 0700 (on AA) and depart on BA at 0805. I realise this is impossible so will have to call anyway.

Hi, The minimum connection time at T5 for T5-T5 is 60 mins ( and only transit security to go through - no immigration) so 90mins will be plenty.
The return whilst tighter still meets MCT.
There is probably a timimg change between now and September

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Thanks,

I am pretty amazed that MCT is only an hour where a terminal charge is involved. I rarely fly BA TATL and think I have only ever been to T7 once. Is it an AirTrain connection or close enough for a brisk walk?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:11 pm

From memory any inter terminal transfer MCT at JFK is either 1.5 or 2 hours (can’t remember which) so I am not sure where 1 hour has come from

EDIT: I think 60 mins is mentioned only in the context of LHR T5->T5 MCT.

you can’t walk between T7 and T8. It’s airtrain only and make sure you get the one going in the right direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.