Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

If you’ve wandered over to the Alaska forum lately, you’ll notice a thread discussing Alaska’s top tier elites (MVP Gold 75Ks) reporting their success or failures with complimentary upgrades on AA flights.

For those CK, EXP, and Platinum Pro elites flying AS, how are you faring with upgrades? Report your success or failures below:

AA status (CK, EXP, PPro)
Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Any other miscellaneous notes/observations
Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Robert
If you’ve wandered over to the Alaska forum lately, you’ll notice a thread discussing Alaska’s top tier elites (MVP Gold 75Ks) reporting their success or failures with complimentary upgrades on AA flights.

For those CK, EXP, and Platinum Pro elites flying AS, how are you faring with upgrades? Report your success or failures below:

AA status (CK, EXP, PPro)
Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Any other miscellaneous notes/observations
PPRO
7/24
SAN-HNL
Was 3 of 4 for a flight that was J2.
The two passengers above me cleared about 22hrs out and their names dropped off the U/G list leaving me at the top

7/26
HNL-SAN
Upgrade cleared around 22hrs out. Never did get to see the upgrade list, so no idea where I was on it.
F went out full
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:19 am

Forgot to mention on this thread that not only does AS offer pre-order on hot meals, but that their window closes 20hrs out, so if you get upgraded at T-22 as per my experience, there is still time to log on and select your desired choice.
Clarkcc1 and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
If there are 3 passengers on my ticket, will they still auto process upgrades for the ExPlat? Premium class is wide open but our seat assignments for all 3 are still in the oneworld elite section. Do I need to call to split the reservation?
Old Aug 13, 2021, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Forgot to mention on this thread that not only does AS offer pre-order on hot meals, but that their window closes 20hrs out, so if you get upgraded at T-22 as per my experience, there is still time to log on and select your desired choice.
AS recently upgraded meals. Were you pleased with the options?
Old Aug 13, 2021, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
AS recently upgraded meals. Were you pleased with the options?
Seeing as all I can compare them to are AA, then any hot meal would be an improvement from what I’m used to on recent AA flights. That said, the meal I had on my HNL-SAN flight beat any domestic F meal I’ve had in years on AA.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: AA
EXP
08/19/21
LAX - DAL
Cleared early AM on 08/14/21 on a Q fare
F nearly empty, so not surprised I cleared ~ 130 hr out
Old Aug 14, 2021, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by golfer20
EXP
08/19/21
LAX - DAL
Cleared early AM on 08/14/21 on a Q fare
F nearly empty, so not surprised I cleared ~ 130 hr out
Yep that's an easy route to clear on and often leaving with empty F seats
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:45 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by SFOvacations
If there are 3 passengers on my ticket, will they still auto process upgrades for the ExPlat? Premium class is wide open but our seat assignments for all 3 are still in the oneworld elite section. Do I need to call to split the reservation?
Not sure about how it is handled closer to departure, but I have an upcoming reservation with myself (Plat Pro) and spouse (Plat), and were not able to select Premium Class seats even for myself before the 72 hour window. I asked AS to split the PNR and I was immediately moved to Premium Class, and the reservation now indicates that I am waitlisted for a F upgrade.

Hold times at AS may be a bit long, so I'd suggest using the text message chat function.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 6:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
Called AS and they would not split my PNR since its booked through SQ points. 24 hrs out still 3 seats open in F, maybe we'll test out luck at the airport. Does anyone know if the F upgrade is +1 or is +1 only for Premium Class?
Old Aug 29, 2021, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Called AS and they would not split my PNR since its booked through SQ points. 24 hrs out still 3 seats open in F, maybe we'll test out luck at the airport. Does anyone know if the F upgrade is +1 or is +1 only for Premium Class?
According to the Elite Status Benefits on Alaska Airlines page, upgrades to first class and complimentary premium class seats only applies to the elite status member. CK, EP, and PPro members will be able to extend this benefit to 1 companion traveling on the same flight and in the same reservation at a later, to be determined, date.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
First time using it:

Date: 8/29/21
Flights:
- AS 60 JNU-KTN-SEA (738): Failure. Showed as #1 at JNU, they wouldn't upgrade me to F due to weight restrictions. At KTN I didn't show. Apparently one stop flights can be glitchy
- AS 962 KTN-RDU (739): Cleared at T-72
ChurnieEls likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
Yep that's an easy route to clear on and often leaving with empty F seats
Interesting info... Sounds like I should use AS to fly to LAX from DAL (I am PLT), because it is almost impossible to do from DFW.
I did get the upgrade once, on a Labor Day return to DFW, it's been a couple of years.....My next trip to LAX is Turkey Day, but booked AA due to flight credit requiring booking by Sept 21.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 4:32 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by CMK10
First time using it:

Date: 8/29/21
Flights:
- AS 60 JNU-KTN-SEA (738): Failure. Showed as #1 at JNU, they wouldn't upgrade me to F due to weight restrictions. At KTN I didn't show. Apparently one stop flights can be glitchy
- AS 962 KTN-RDU (739): Cleared at T-72
Weight restrictions.... on a 738
Old Sep 1, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Are award tickets eligible for complimentary upgrades for AA flyers on AS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.