Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Any data points on how long it takes for upgraded flights to post and how did it post in terms of EQM/EQD? (Originally booked or?)
Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
Any data points on how long it takes for upgraded flights to post and how did it post in terms of EQM/EQD? (Originally booked or?)
Complimentary upgrades on AS book into U space. You will earn EQM/EDQ based on the underlying fare class you purchased.

The same works for AS Elites flying AA who receive a complimentary upgrade. They earn in Mileage Plan based on the underlying fare class purchased.

James
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
So I checked in on app (INTL flight, so it still requires visiting an agent) but I do not appear on the waitlist even though it allowed me other Emerald Benefits. Anyone else have this issue? Chat with them online said they added me, but I don't appear on the list... except the list shows for example a Abc/M that matches my first name but not last - unless then that was MrXYZ instead of XYZ (I know some travel systems pull in a MR or MRS sometimes.

Frustrating. Anyone else have issues not showing in the waitlist? Website agent said the corporate travel portal I had to booked though might have caused the issue with why I'm not showing up on the list or wasn't added earlier
Old Nov 21, 2021, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Can AA PLT get upgraded on AS metal?

Originally Posted by mvoight
Interesting info... Sounds like I should use AS to fly to LAX from DAL (I am PLT), because it is almost impossible to do from DFW.
I did get the upgrade once, on a Labor Day return to DFW, it's been a couple of years.....My next trip to LAX is Turkey Day, but booked AA due to flight credit requiring booking by Sept 21.
Any info if PLTs get upgraded on AS after folks higher up the elite food chain?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Hi all,

Any new data points on companions upgrading into Premium Class? Myself and companion, both currently AA Gold and both soon to be Plat next week, are on an Alaska Flight booked in Y (tell me about it) and I am unable to select Premium Class without paying. Will this be the case even when we're Plat? That's strange as we both have status you would think this would work already.

The relevant AA Page still reads "^Initially this benefit only applies to the elite status member. Later, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members will be able to extend this benefit to 1 companion traveling on the same flight and in the same reservation." (https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...a-airlines.jsp).

But I'm not trying to extend my benefit, we are both Gold flying in a Y fare, which says Y, B or H fares are supposed to be able to upgrade to premium class after ticket purchase.

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LuizMiranda
But I'm not trying to extend my benefit, we are both Gold flying in a Y fare, which says Y, B or H fares are supposed to be able to upgrade to premium class after ticket purchase.

Thanks!
Are you really booked into fully refundable Y class? Depending on the route, it can be more expensive than discounted F.

I think your issue, as an AA Gold, equivalent to AS MVP, is that you can't upgrade a compaIon on the same PNR even if the companion is also AA Gold. If the companion had a higher status, you could be upgraded on the strength of the higher elite companion but neither will be eligible when on the same PNR.

In Mileage Plan, two MVPs on the same PNR will negate any upgrades. Upgrades for an MVP Elite only work if the Elite is solo on the PNR. Until one of you is Platinum or higher. I would recommend booking each passenger on a separate PNR.

Once Platinum, equivalent to MVPG, and AS has implemented the companion upgrades for AA Elites, you will be able to upgrade a companion on the same PNR providing there is one and only one companion.

If you purchase an eligible fare for your Elite Tier, you will be able to select Premium Class seating, without charge, after ticket purchase. Otherwise, you can select Premium Class seating, without charge, when your upgrade window opens. For Platinum that would be 72 hours before departure.

As an AA Gold and a solo passenger on the PNR, you can select Premium Class seating at 48 hours before departure if you haven't purchased an eligible fare class.

All AS Elites are eligible for upgrades to First Class, even on award tickets; upgrades to Premium Class don't preclude a First Class upgrade, but an MVP with a companion on the same PNR will not be considered for both Premium & F upgrades because of the limitation on the MVP/AA Gold Tier.

If you call AS and ask them to split the PNR, you should then be able to choose Premium Class seating if your fare is eligible.

James
Old Dec 20, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
Anyone know if the companion upgrades to Premium seats for AA EXP is available automatically now after booking? What is the limit on companions? Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SFOvacations
Anyone know if the companion upgrades to Premium seats for AA EXP is available automatically now after booking? What is the limit on companions? Thanks
It’s available after ticketing for me as a Plat Pro, so I would expect it to be the same for EXP.

Don’t know about companion limit. Had no problems with 1 companion…
Old Dec 20, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Are you really booked into fully refundable Y class? Depending on the route, it can be more expensive than discounted F.

I think your issue, as an AA Gold, equivalent to AS MVP, is that you can't upgrade a compaIon on the same PNR even if the companion is also AA Gold. If the companion had a higher status, you could be upgraded on the strength of the higher elite companion but neither will be eligible when on the same PNR.

In Mileage Plan, two MVPs on the same PNR will negate any upgrades. Upgrades for an MVP Elite only work if the Elite is solo on the PNR. Until one of you is Platinum or higher. I would recommend booking each passenger on a separate PNR.

Once Platinum, equivalent to MVPG, and AS has implemented the companion upgrades for AA Elites, you will be able to upgrade a companion on the same PNR providing there is one and only one companion.

If you purchase an eligible fare for your Elite Tier, you will be able to select Premium Class seating, without charge, after ticket purchase. Otherwise, you can select Premium Class seating, without charge, when your upgrade window opens. For Platinum that would be 72 hours before departure.

As an AA Gold and a solo passenger on the PNR, you can select Premium Class seating at 48 hours before departure if you haven't purchased an eligible fare class.

All AS Elites are eligible for upgrades to First Class, even on award tickets; upgrades to Premium Class don't preclude a First Class upgrade, but an MVP with a companion on the same PNR will not be considered for both Premium & F upgrades because of the limitation on the MVP/AA Gold Tier.

If you call AS and ask them to split the PNR, you should then be able to choose Premium Class seating if your fare is eligible.

James

Hi James,

Thanks for the response. It is a full fare (Y) and yes F is less expensive (or about the same actually), but I am using a companion certificate for this particularly because of the high price of Y, which is why I had to book this together. I have AA Gold (OW Ruby) and my companion also has AA Gold (OW Ruby). But we seem to be stuck in the back, even a phone call did not help -- frustrating.

In my opinion, the system is broken when, on the same Y fare, if I book two separate tickets for myself and my companion we can both upgrade to premium at the time of booking, but if we book our flight together then we cannot. This makes no sense, we're essentially being stripped of our elite benefits simply because we are booked together.

I certainly hope this gets fixed.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There has been some back and forth about companion upgrades... I'm Platinum Pro and my non-status companion I were both upgraded on the Alaska DCA-PDX flight a couple days ago. I only showed up on the upgrade list after asking to be added at the gate and was #1 out of ~20. I didn't think to add my partner until we were boarding. Even though he wasn't added to the upgrade list, we were pulled from coach before the cabin door closed when 2 FC passengers no-showed.

I do wonder whether we would have gotten the seats if I hadn't asked to be added to the upgrade list.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
We are an all-adult family of four (4) on one PNR with myself being AA PPro. It sounds like in order to try for upgrades, the PNR needs to be split into 2 + 2 in order for myself and companion to be seated in Premium Class and be eligible for FC upgrade. We have one segment in O (can select 72 hours before departure) and one in N (immediate assignment). Does this affect the other two non-status passengers to remain in elite seating? If it does has anyone had a seat map or schedule change where you were able to call in and reassign seating (PNR's linked or somehow connected?).

If anyone has any info, that would be much appreciated!
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Mon 1/24
BOS-SAN
Cleared 20hrs before departure, on a cheapo O fare.

F went out with 1 empty seat, next to me . I had a peek back in Y and it was pretty empty, <50%. I was able to pre-order the miso pork, which wasn't bad. It was my first time in F on AS, and the service was quite friendly. Reminded me of an above average AA domestic F flight of 10-15 yrs ago.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
So I checked in on app (INTL flight, so it still requires visiting an agent) but I do not appear on the waitlist even though it allowed me other Emerald Benefits. Anyone else have this issue? Chat with them online said they added me, but I don't appear on the list... except the list shows for example a Abc/M that matches my first name but not last - unless then that was MrXYZ instead of XYZ (I know some travel systems pull in a MR or MRS sometimes.

Frustrating. Anyone else have issues not showing in the waitlist? Website agent said the corporate travel portal I had to booked though might have caused the issue with why I'm not showing up on the list or wasn't added earlier
Had this problem too recently, albeit on a domestic flight. Got free upgrade to premium class at booking, but never showed up on the upgrade list on either leg. Call reservations for the return, they said they added me, but never on the list for the return.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Just bought G fares for 2 adults and 2 kids. I can't select premium seat unless I am willing to pay. My question is when I can select premium seat. Can I select premium seat for all 4 passengers of just 2 of us? I am PP btw.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I'm ExP flying on alaska and we are withing 24 hours. I got upgraded to their premier class but don't see my name on the first class upgrade list. Is that unusual? Suggestions. This is my first time flying as a ExP on AS. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.