Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2022, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by AB Dada
If I book on Alaska's website, don't put in our AAdvantage numbers, call in to attach our AAdvantage numbers, will I still be eligible for EXP complimentary upgrade for both of us? Or should I just book on AA and ignore the ~30% savings?
For premium class upgrades, you can put in your AAdvantage number when booking an Alaska flight on alaskaair.com. You can also call/text in later to add it. For premium class upgrades, don't select a premium seat at booking because it will charge you. Right after you purchase the ticket, you can go and change your seat to a premium class seat for free for you and your companion.

For first class upgrades, the AAvantage status benefits on AS page wording has been updated since I last checked:
Originally Posted by https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/aadvantage-status/aadvantage-status-benefits-on-alaska-airlines.jsp
^AAdvantage Executive Platinum® and AAdvantage Platinum Pro® can upgrade to 1 companion traveling on the same flight and in the same reservation.
Previously, it said companion upgrades are "coming soon". That said, I did a quick check of this thread and I haven't seen any confirmations of companion first class upgrades happening automatically for AA elites. Curious if anyone can confirm companion upgrades are being processed now.

Traveling with a companion previously meant not only was your companion not eligible for first class upgrades, but you as a EXP were ineligible for first class upgrades when traveling with a companion in the same reservation.

Last edited by PurpleMonkey; Oct 19, 2022 at 10:52 pm
Old Oct 19, 2022, 11:07 pm

Taking a closer look at the AA benefits on AS page, the premium class upgrade description has changed too and is much more descriptive now:

Originally Posted by https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/aadvantage-status/aadvantage-status-benefits-on-alaska-airlines.jsp

Immediate access to Premium Class seats

You’ll have immediate access to Premium Class seats a few minutes after your ticket for an eligible fare is issued, and if space is available.

If you book your trip on alaskaair.com, find fares that are eligible for immediate access to Premium Class using the “Upgrade fare type” filter on their website. Here’s how:
  • AAdvantage Gold® members – choose “MVP”
  • AAdvantage Platinum® – choose “MVP Gold”
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum® / AAdvantage Platinum Pro® – choose “MVP Gold 75k”
Whether you book your trip on alaskaair.com or another booking source and visit Alaska’s website later, you can reserve a complimentary Premium Class seat. Here’s how:
  1. Choose a seat in the Main Cabin.
  2. Buy your ticket for a seat in the Main Cabin.
  3. After your trip is ticketed, you’ll be assigned a seat in Premium Class if you booked an eligible fare or once your AAdvantage® status window opens.
Keep in mind:
  • Seats marked as “Alaska Elite” are available complimentary to AAdvantage® status members.
  • The seat type you choose in the Main Cabin – aisle or window – will be your seat type in Premium Class.
  • If you choose a seat in an exit row, you won’t be moved to Premium Class.
  • Choosing a Premium Class seat before ticketing will result in a charge. To receive a complimentary Premium Class seat, you’ll first need to choose a seat in Main Cabin and pay for your ticket.
  • You can view your assigned seat in Premium Class on alaskaair.com using your Alaska Airlines confirmation code.
Find your Alaska Airlines confirmation code (also known as a record locator) on your booking confirmation email. If you booked your trip through American, you’ll find it when viewing your trip on aa.com or the American app.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Is the booze free in the exit row on AS like it is on AA?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by AAway
Is the booze free in the exit row on AS like it is on AA?
No, only in Premium Class. AA considers exit rows to be MCE but not AS.
AAway likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
No, only in Premium Class. AA considers exit rows to be MCE but not AS.
Which is sort of weird in my opinion. The AS exit rows have materially more legroom than Premium class. So I am forced to choose whether I'd prefer more space or a free drink.
AAway likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
SNA-SEA upgraded at check in (Monday morning flight)
SEA-SNA not sure when this upgrade happened (Saturday evening flight) . 5pm flight, checked before bed the night before and I was still 7C. Woke up to 3D.

Flying SAN-SMF Tuesday morning next week and have already been upgraded on that flight along with my companion. So far I'm 3/3 on upgrades with Alaska after hitting PP.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Which is sort of weird in my opinion. The AS exit rows have materially more legroom than Premium class. So I am forced to choose whether I'd prefer more space or a free drink.
Probably because they don't want impaired people assisting in the case of emergency :-)
Old Nov 19, 2022, 7:38 am

Sorry sent to wrong forum by search
Old Nov 19, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
AA EXP, DAL-SFO 11/11 - upgraded to premium class at booking/ upgraded to F upon checkin around T-12. Strange thing was that I was 4th on the list (of 6) but somehow when I checked in again (to switch seats), I was upgraded into F, while there remained people on the waitlist. I have this feeling that somehow I skipped ahead of the waitlist, but it was all on AS and what appears to be their peculiar way of processing upgrades.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Does it matter if I book the AA codeshare or directly through AS for upgrades? I am AA PPro flying on AS metal.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by njvandy
Does it matter if I book the AA codeshare or directly through AS for upgrades? I am AA PPro flying on AS metal.
No difference in terms of upgrade availability and priority.
njvandy likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Originally Posted by AAway
It doesn't matter which airline you book through, as long as your AA# is associated with the booking.
Just be sure not to book an "X" fare, as these are not upgradable (not even to a "premium") seat. AS's Premium Cabin is equivalent to AA's MCE seats and AA allows you to book these seats for free based on your status regardless of fare class, whereas AS does not - so it's important to understand that distinction.
When you complete your booking, you should be able return to the booking and select a Premium class seat for free. Once you're in a premium seat with no extra charge, you can be reasonably assured everything is happening as it should be, as far as AS recognizing your elite status. You should see "first class waitlisted" or something to that affect on your booking once you're in a premium seat.
Booked a work trip via concur and ended up on "G" fare. I'm AA PLT but wasn't able to request an upgrade because:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...guest-upgrades
"Tickets purchased in Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, S, or N are eligible for guest upgrades (not eligible in Q, O, G or X classes)"

So I'm SOL there. Had to pay for a premium class seat as well but I'll take that seat on their E175 to WN.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 5:19 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by rayfes
Booked a work trip via concur and ended up on "G" fare. I'm AA PLT but wasn't able to request an upgrade because:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...guest-upgrades
"Tickets purchased in Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, S, or N are eligible for guest upgrades (not eligible in Q, O, G or X classes)"

So I'm SOL there. Had to pay for a premium class seat as well but I'll take that seat on their E175 to WN.
You're not eligible for an immediate upgrade to premium on a G fare, but you are eligible for one at T-72. See the last expandable section on this page.
rayfes likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Haven’t seen this in the past few thread pages or in the updated Alaska premium seat and upgrade guidance for AA elites, but found out the Premium seat selection on AS only applies to two passengers. We booked a Hawaii fare for 3 and I was unable to select Premium seats - an AS agent via text informed me that Premium seats were only available for two pax, but split our ticket so that two took the Premium seats and we paid to upgrade the remaining one. Their pro-active info and action was -very- welcome!

Book accordingly!
Old Dec 3, 2022, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ty Vil
My only gripe is that I can't add my AA FF# to an AS booked/operated award ticket.
Can they not even do this manually if I call AS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.