Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New refrigerators filled with food for purchase at various admirals clubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New refrigerators filled with food for purchase at various admirals clubs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Somebody tag me when they stock these fridges with $65 half-bottles of Krug.
MIAFlyer, la2clt, njvandy and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
The vending machine to end all vending machines.
la2clt likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/moet-...-prod226140321

They have one of these at the Grand Hyatt in Vail, CO. Too bad it's not Krug though!
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
They have one of these at the Grand Hyatt in Vail, CO. Too bad it's not Krug though!
Ah, the Needless Markup catalog... childhood memories. Can't imagine paying $35k for a simple $3000 vending machine though. Must be nice.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:22 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Ah, the Needless Markup catalog... childhood memories. Can't imagine paying $35k for a simple $3000 vending machine though. Must be nice.
I almost called to buy it until I saw they charge an extra $250 for shipping.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
I was glad to see it in CLT. I’ve had some crazy short layovers lately. This will come in handy when I’m not in first. Those intricate Coke machines break so easily anyway. The CLT one in the back was down last week.

As for everyone denouncing your membership, fine. Go back to the busy halls. I’ll sit and eat my snacks in peace.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Anyone actually buy anything from these yet to see how they are billing? Will the Amex Plat/Aspire reimbursement cover these charges or the $25/day Aviator Silver inflight food/drink reimbursement?
bryanb likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan

Something like this from a hotel in Rome?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by ramcm7
Anyone actually buy anything from these yet to see how they are billing? Will the Amex Plat/Aspire reimbursement cover these charges or the $25/day Aviator Silver inflight food/drink reimbursement?
My bet is the fee will show up as a charge from the machine operator or some third-party card processing service.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:38 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I think they are a bit tacky, but as long as they don't adversely affect the food included with admission/membership (i.e. they stay geared toward food you can take onto the plane), I'm comfortable ignoring them.

I do wonder how much they charge though -- probably prices comparable to Hudson News, so $3 for a 20 oz diet coke.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by VFR
I think they are a bit tacky, but as long as they don't adversely affect the food included with admission/membership (i.e. they stay geared toward food you can take onto the plane), I'm comfortable ignoring them.

I do wonder how much they charge though -- probably prices comparable to Hudson News, so $3 for a 20 oz diet coke.
I agree, and totally get the idea. Before they made the investment in these machines, I'm sure someone at AA had consumer research/insights that many Admiral Club visitors are still buying packaged food or bottled drink on the way to gate. Why not try to grab a share of that revenue?

I also agree that they're tacky and the optics are horrible, even if the reasons behind the machines are perfectly rational. Then again, when they started serving "premium" food-for-purchase in the lounges, I also thought it was tacky. Maybe people will eventually get used to it and appreciate the convenience of getting their bottled water here and not making an extra stop.
onanisland and Often1 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by wrp96
Something like this from a hotel in Rome?
One of many reasons why I'm missing Europe right now.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bryanb
I agree, and totally get the idea. Before they made the investment in these machines, I'm sure someone at AA had consumer research/insights that many Admiral Club visitors are still buying packaged food or bottled drink on the way to gate. Why not try to grab a share of that revenue?

I also agree that they're tacky and the optics are horrible, even if the reasons behind the machines are perfectly rational. Then again, when they started serving "premium" food-for-purchase in the lounges, I also thought it was tacky. Maybe people will eventually get used to it and appreciate the convenience of getting their bottled water here and not making an extra stop.
This.

For all the complaining, nobody is obligated to make a purchase. Yet somebody believes that there is a market and they might have actually done some research.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
This.

For all the complaining, nobody is obligated to make a purchase. Yet somebody believes that there is a market and they might have actually done some research.
I don't agree. This is what happens when you let bean counters make decisions without having a Customer Experience, Strategy or Sales guy involved.

​​​​​I see this constantly at clients. In a narrow way, this may make revenue, but it completely ignores the experience and brand being offered.

​​​​​​There's a reason that the Four Seasons doesn't have coin operated vending machines in the lobby.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Antarius
​​​​​​There's a reason that the Four Seasons doesn't have coin operated vending machines in the lobby.
Interesting prospective (legitimately).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.