Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New refrigerators filled with food for purchase at various admirals clubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New refrigerators filled with food for purchase at various admirals clubs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL DM 2mm, AA EXP mm, UA SL, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Here's the CLT B Concourse Club on March 31, 2021. If people don't like it, don't buy it.

It is nice to ACs provide food to go in spite of rules to the contrary.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
So coach pax get a free coke on the plane, but Admirals members need to pay for it in the club?
smartytravel likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by joeyE
So coach pax get a free coke on the plane, but Admirals members need to pay for it in the club?
No.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
This makes no sense to me, why are they making you pay for membership and charging you to take outside food? I understand it's against their official rules but if someone is paying $59 for a day pass, you should be allowed to take a piece of fruit, chips or a can of soda on to the plane. If not I just rather take the $59 and get a real meal at a terminal restaurant- and have leftovers to eat on the plane if I want.
smartytravel likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Sky Dreamer
This makes no sense to me, why are they making you pay for membership and charging you to take outside food? I understand it's against their official rules but if someone is paying $59 for a day pass, you should be allowed to take a piece of fruit, chips or a can of soda on to the plane. If not I just rather take the $59 and get a real meal at a terminal restaurant- and have leftovers to eat on the plane if I want.
Here's the thing. They don't have cans of soda in the Clubs. They have a soda dispenser at the bar (typical barman's dispenser) and they have a self serve soda fountain (standard or "Coke Freestyle") in certain clubs. You won't see individual 12 / 16 / 20 ounce cans or bottles anywhere. In fact, the only places I've seen individual cans or bottles is in the Flagship lounge at JFK or LAX or the now shuttered (temporarily or otherwise) terminal "E" club at MIA.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Here's the thing. They don't have cans of soda in the Clubs. They have a soda dispenser at the bar (typical barman's dispenser) and they have a self serve soda fountain (standard or "Coke Freestyle") in certain clubs. You won't see individual 12 / 16 / 20 ounce cans or bottles anywhere. In fact, the only places I've seen individual cans or bottles is in the Flagship lounge at JFK or LAX or the now shuttered (temporarily or otherwise) terminal "E" club at MIA.
Agree. But given that they've cut down on in flight service completely, it makes sense to add some grab-and-go for your high margin/regular customers.

As we saw under Arpey and since the merger with Parker, you can't cut yourself to sustainable profitability.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:32 pm
Suspended

From the United Club rules:
Food and beverage is provided for consumption and use in the Lounge and may not be removed.

From the Delta Sky Club rules:
Food and beverages may not be removed from any Delta Sky Club.
That's wrong considering the United Club had a section where you could package trail mix/gummy bears/cereal to go and the Sky Club had lids for the coffee/tea that I regularly walked out with.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:33 pm
Suspended

So you swipe your card and open the fridge? So just go ahead and pay for a sandwich and grab a drink or two while you're at it, problem solved.
Edit: Nevermind, I see they all have "tags" on them, I guess you could try ripping it off and leaving it in.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
So you swipe your card and open the fridge? So just go ahead and pay for a sandwich and grab a drink or two while you're at it, problem solved.
Edit: Nevermind, I see they all have "tags" on them, I guess you could try ripping it off and leaving it in.
At that point, why bother buying a membership? Just run past the check in desk and hide.
railmatt likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by joeyE
No, AC members do not.

Soda and certain booze is included in membership for consumption in the AC. You get that at the bar or a dispenser. If you want a soda, to take with you, you purchase it from a machine. AC rules have been clear for years that F&B is to be consumed on premises. No different than UC, SC or AL.

Hopefully the food service will come back to pre-pandemic, especially if this summer sees a return to normal flying. But, that is a separate issue from the machines.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Antarius
At that point, why bother buying a membership? Just run past the check in desk and hide.
Not the same. At all.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 4:25 pm

So maybe they should start offering those to passengers to go? Passengers already pay hefty fees, and they are clearly being cheap with on-board service.

that should already be included in the fees.
Spiff and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Antarius
Agree. But given that they've cut down on in flight service completely, it makes sense to add some grab-and-go for your high margin/regular customers.

As we saw under Arpey and since the merger with Parker, you can't cut yourself to sustainable profitability.
Let's be honest: I will bet that 90% of club members (be it United or Delta or American) have taken food or drinks out of the club. An apple, a banana, some Carrs water crackers, a cup full of Skittles or Starburst, their latte that they just got from the self-service barista machine. I grabbed a bagel and two little packs of grapes from the AC on Wednesday because I knew that I wasn't going to be offered a lick of food for the six-hour flight to LAX. Call it benign ignorance on the part of the housekeeping staff, the club manager and the front desk agents.

What you're not going to see the clubs do is make it easy peasy to take the items out of the club. You can take out your cup of Skittles, but the lid may come off and you have a trail of Skittles leading from the Club to gate C11. You can find a way to take a coffee cup full of Coke with lime flavoring out of the club, but it's a 10-ounce cup and it comes from a soda dispenser which costs about $0.20 for 10 ounces to dispense. That is Infinitely cheaper than a 20-ounce bottle of Cherry Coke which costs $0.50 a bottle. If you provided bottles, people are going to take bottles. Guaranteed. If you provide it through a dispenser, only a few will take the time to grab a 10-ounce cup to go.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 4:38 pm

I have a hunch the manufacturer or service provider is putting it in free to AA with a revenue sharing agreement for access to AC members, rather than AA spending a nickel this way to improve AC "service."
And if AA doesn't make some decent $ off it, they'll disappear.
wrp96 and VFR like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Let's be honest: I will bet that 90% of club members (be it United or Delta or American) have taken food or drinks out of the club. An apple, a banana, some Carrs water crackers, a cup full of Skittles or Starburst, their latte that they just got from the self-service barista machine.
Don’t forget the cookies. Even more convenient now that they’re individually wrapped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.