Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duplicate reservation error message

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2021, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Duplicate reservation error message

I canceled a reservation yesterday about 5pm that I used aa miles for which were reinstated instantly, the trip still shows in my app but no longer has passenger names or seat numbers. When I go to rebook a different route and time I get the error message "this appears to be a duplicate booking" I tried to call aadvantage but there is a long hold and the call disconnects. Does anyone know how long before the canceled trip will disappear so I can rebook?
Old Mar 27, 2021, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Go onto the desktop version and check the status. Also on the desktop make sure you remove the reservation. The app sometimes doesn't keep up with real time transactions. Also try booking your new trip again on the desktop version.
Beachchaser likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Go onto the desktop version and check the status. Also on the desktop make sure you remove the reservation. The app sometimes doesn't keep up with real time transactions. Also try booking your new trip again on the desktop version.
thanks! I truly appreciate your time and help, I was able to rebook through the desktop site in literally 1 minutes.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:14 pm

I'm having the same issue. My reservation shows as cancelled and I've tried reserving the revised reservation on both the app and desktop with no luck (it's been about 5 hours since the cancellation). I got through to web services help desk at AA which confirmed the initial reservation is cancelled however they redirected me to a regular customer service rep and now have been on hold for 3 hours!
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Lisa Anderson Gavin
I'm having the same issue. My reservation shows as cancelled and I've tried reserving the revised reservation on both the app and desktop with no luck (it's been about 5 hours since the cancellation). I got through to web services help desk at AA which confirmed the initial reservation is cancelled however they redirected me to a regular customer service rep and now have been on hold for 3 hours!
Were you able to get your issue resolved? I am having the same problem.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Had the same problem this past weekend - had to wait and talk to an agent over the phone.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
I canceled a reservation yesterday about 5pm that I used aa miles for which were reinstated instantly, the trip still shows in my app but no longer has passenger names or seat numbers. When I go to rebook a different route and time I get the error message "this appears to be a duplicate booking" I tried to call aadvantage but there is a long hold and the call disconnects. Does anyone know how long before the canceled trip will disappear so I can rebook?
I've had the same thing happen - cancel, receive email confirmation of cancellation, but the trip record "sticks" in my reservation list, both online and in the app, and opening the trip makes it seem like it's still an active reservation, just with seat numbers removed. Even on the desktop website, the old option of clicking "remove" to purge the reservation has not been available in these instances.

AA (and AA.com technical support) have no clue how to remove the "duplicate reservation," which has sometimes taken multiple days to fall off my list of reservations on its own. During that time, I cannot book similar itineraries online without getting the "duplicate reservation" message.

The only workaround seems to be calling reservations to have them book you, as phone agents aren't confined by the "duplicate" booking like we are on AA.com. Normally, getting on the phone would be an easy enough workaround, but it's annoying if the flight is down to the last seat or two when you want to grab it and confirm the booking, as the hold times have been increasing lately (I've had to wait even on the CK line recently).

I should also mention that I haven't had this issue with held tickets -- cancelling holds seem to purge the reservation fully without the duplicate reservation issue when you re-book, so you could also consider just putting things on hold until you're fairly certain that's the itinerary you want.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by metallo
I've had the same thing happen - cancel, receive email confirmation of cancellation, but the trip record "sticks" in my reservation list, both online and in the app, and opening the trip makes it seem like it's still an active reservation, just with seat numbers removed. Even on the desktop website, the old option of clicking "remove" to purge the reservation has not been available in these instances.

AA (and AA.com technical support) have no clue how to remove the "duplicate reservation," which has sometimes taken multiple days to fall off my list of reservations on its own. During that time, I cannot book similar itineraries online without getting the "duplicate reservation" message.

The only workaround seems to be calling reservations to have them book you, as phone agents aren't confined by the "duplicate" booking like we are on AA.com. Normally, getting on the phone would be an easy enough workaround, but it's annoying if the flight is down to the last seat or two when you want to grab it and confirm the booking, as the hold times have been increasing lately (I've had to wait even on the CK line recently).

I should also mention that I haven't had this issue with held tickets -- cancelling holds seem to purge the reservation fully without the duplicate reservation issue when you re-book, so you could also consider just putting things on hold until you're fairly certain that's the itinerary you want.
I occasionally have this happen after canceling an award booking. On the agent's side, it looks like the miles haven't been redeposited (although I see the redeposit on line in my account). After the agent does the redeposit, the duplicate error goes away.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I had this happen and had to call reservations to book the new ticket. There wasn’t anything else I could do on my end. I had cancelled it and removed it from my trip list but this didn’t free up the dates. This is annoying as fares were changing and reservation agents won’t see your fare until you get the the stage where you can put the itinerary on hold. Of course, you can’t get to this step as you get the duplicate booking error. So you have to hope the fare is still available by the time you get to talk to someone.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
I had this happen and had to call reservations to book the new ticket. There wasn’t anything else I could do on my end. I had cancelled it and removed it from my trip list but this didn’t free up the dates.
Yes, same here. This seems to be a new issue that I never previously encountered until roughly 4-6 weeks ago.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Try booking the ticket as a guest and adding your AA number on after you book. I've been able to dodge the duplicate reservation error that way.
EXPLAT likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Try booking the ticket as a guest and adding your AA number on after you book. I've been able to dodge the duplicate reservation error that way.
That's a great suggestion, but won't necessarily work with award tickets, Airpass tickets, and any others that require a login.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:25 am

This error is driving me CRAZY. I booked a ticket for myself and now want to book my son a slightly different itinerary so I booked it separate with miles (FC). Except it won't let me. Different names, different FF accounts, different itinerary! But I keep getting the "duplicate" error and it won't let me book. 1.5 hour wait to talk to reservations (I'm Plat Pro if it matters). Total shitshow.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DCAAA
This error is driving me CRAZY. I booked a ticket for myself and now want to book my son a slightly different itinerary so I booked it separate with miles (FC). Except it won't let me. Different names, different FF accounts, different itinerary! But I keep getting the "duplicate" error and it won't let me book. 1.5 hour wait to talk to reservations (I'm Plat Pro if it matters). Total shitshow.
Yes that is super aggrevating. Another one of our members had the exact same problem recently. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that there's anything you can do other than call.

Different passenger - Duplicate reservation error
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
thanks! I truly appreciate your time and help, I was able to rebook through the desktop site in literally 1 minutes.
I've been having the same problem. I canceled a flight about 5 days ago. I had a reservation on hold because for some reason the payment wouldn't go through. I canceled that one as well, but I'm still getting duplicate error
Everything was done through desktop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.