FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Duplicate reservation error message
View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:13 am
metallo

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
I canceled a reservation yesterday about 5pm that I used aa miles for which were reinstated instantly, the trip still shows in my app but no longer has passenger names or seat numbers. When I go to rebook a different route and time I get the error message "this appears to be a duplicate booking" I tried to call aadvantage but there is a long hold and the call disconnects. Does anyone know how long before the canceled trip will disappear so I can rebook?
I've had the same thing happen - cancel, receive email confirmation of cancellation, but the trip record "sticks" in my reservation list, both online and in the app, and opening the trip makes it seem like it's still an active reservation, just with seat numbers removed. Even on the desktop website, the old option of clicking "remove" to purge the reservation has not been available in these instances.

AA (and AA.com technical support) have no clue how to remove the "duplicate reservation," which has sometimes taken multiple days to fall off my list of reservations on its own. During that time, I cannot book similar itineraries online without getting the "duplicate reservation" message.

The only workaround seems to be calling reservations to have them book you, as phone agents aren't confined by the "duplicate" booking like we are on AA.com. Normally, getting on the phone would be an easy enough workaround, but it's annoying if the flight is down to the last seat or two when you want to grab it and confirm the booking, as the hold times have been increasing lately (I've had to wait even on the CK line recently).

I should also mention that I haven't had this issue with held tickets -- cancelling holds seem to purge the reservation fully without the duplicate reservation issue when you re-book, so you could also consider just putting things on hold until you're fairly certain that's the itinerary you want.