Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where do I find the "terms" of my flight ticket? 6 Hour Schedule Change...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2021, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...

In January, I posted a generic set of "what ifs" for a future trip I booked, and that trip is this Friday. The country is still closed to non-citizens, and honestly, probably wouldn't be very fun even if I could go. Does anyone know exactly where I can find the terms of my ticket so I know my theoretical "rights" and options with customer service? My overall flight times were changed by 5.5 hours, but also the connection became a 6+ hour layover.

My order of preferences, with the first being my major priority:
  • Rebook it for later dates at the AWESOME deal I had gotten (January sale plus black Friday promo code)
  • Refund
  • Flight Credit - Yuck, usually these aren't valid for future promos/offers

When I called a few weeks ago, the only option given was that I could change the dates and they would give me a "discount" turning my $800 RT lie-flat flight into a $1900 one... supposedly better than simply rebooking at a new fare.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
In January, I posted a generic set of "what ifs" for a future trip I booked, and that trip is this Friday. The country is still closed to non-citizens, and honestly, probably wouldn't be very fun even if I could go. Does anyone know exactly where I can find the terms of my ticket so I know my theoretical "rights" and options with customer service? My overall flight times were changed by 5.5 hours, but also the connection became a 6+ hour layover.

My order of preferences, with the first being my major priority:
  • Rebook it for later dates at the AWESOME deal I had gotten (January sale plus black Friday promo code)
  • Refund
  • Flight Credit - Yuck, usually these aren't valid for future promos/offers

When I called a few weeks ago, the only option given was that I could change the dates and they would give me a "discount" turning my $800 RT lie-flat flight into a $1900 one... supposedly better than simply rebooking at a new fare.
Not sure this is everything, AA has kind of been playing with an abbreviated version to “make it easier for customers to understand” 😂😂

to your situation, I believe the change in the arrival or departure time must change by 4 hours — a change to connection time doesn’t matter. You didn’t say if you had a cxld flight or not or just rescheduled times, so can’t help as to cash refund. But generally, if u have a cxld flight u can get a refund.

The issue of the country not being open is of no concern to AA. You can change your dates but you would have to pay any fare difference — so a Flight credit.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Not sure this is everything, AA has kind of been playing with an abbreviated version to “make it easier for customers to understand” 😂😂

to your situation, I believe the change in the arrival or departure time must change by 4 hours — a change to connection time doesn’t matter. You didn’t say if you had a cxld flight or not or just rescheduled times, so can’t help as to cash refund. But generally, if u have a cxld flight u can get a refund.

The issue of the country not being open is of no concern to AA. You can change your dates but you would have to pay any fare difference — so a Flight credit.
I was automatically rebooked through Miami instead of DFW, does that count as cancelled? They changed my departure time by 5 hours and 40 minutes.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's called the "Conditions of Carriage". The abbreviated one is here -- https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...f-carriage.jsp
International conditions of carriage is here -- https://www.aa.com/content/images/ta...L&title=tariff

Here are the conditions for refund:
(10) Change in schedule means: (a) The cancellation of a scheduled flight where no AA flight of comparable routing is available within 4 hours of the original time of departure; (b) A change in the scheduled departure time of an AA flight which exceeds 4 hours ; (c) A change in the routing of a scheduled AA flight which adds one or more stops to the original itinerary , or ; (d) A change in the routing of a scheduled AA flight that results in a scheduled arrival time more than 4 hours later than the original scheduled arrival time.
Carolina2Cali likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To cut to the bottom line, when a flight is cancelled (or there is a significant change), you are entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment. AA defines "significant" as 4+ hours in the contract to which you agreed. You can find the link on the AA website, but it does not tell you much. AA may offer you a credit for future use, but that is an interest free loan by you and there is no reason for you to want that.

Changes to a later date are not related to the cancellation. You may change your ticket to a later date and pay any fare difference (or receive a flight credit if the fare is lower).

Nothing prevents you from asking AA to change to a specific later date and perhaps an agent will simply do it for you without the add/collect, but I would plan on that not happening when I called.

Bet approach is to simply call AA and ask -- in light of the cancellation -- to be rebooked to the specific date & flight you want. The less said, the better.
TravelerMSY likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help, I don't have too much hope in a smooth process. After being on the phone for over an hour, my support agent thought she found something, but after speaking for 20+ minutes with meeting services, they realized it was economy and not business. She cancelled my flight for credit, and then I had to go online and request the refund. There's a tiny 200 character limit box where she put that I should ask for my 15 percent off black Friday promo code back... and also, the refund request said my ticket was worth $27!!! I am guessing something got wildly screwed up when they "rebooked" my flight with a new connection. I hope I get my code, and refund, back promptly and correctly... not holding my breath!

P.S. I did not stay on the phone to take the survey, she was nice enough but ultimately didn't do anything helpful, if anything, got my hopes up for nothing. I assume not doing the survey is better than marking anything less than a 10? It didn't ask how nice she was, rather, would I want to book with AA again based on my experience... the answer is not particularly thrilled but we all know I am going to anyway, lol.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EP
ignore the $27 figure. It’s some quirk that many people see.

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Thanks for everyone's help, I don't have too much hope in a smooth process. After being on the phone for over an hour, my support agent thought she found something, but after speaking for 20+ minutes with meeting services, they realized it was economy and not business. She cancelled my flight for credit, and then I had to go online and request the refund. There's a tiny 200 character limit box where she put that I should ask for my 15 percent off black Friday promo code back... and also, the refund request said my ticket was worth $27!!! I am guessing something got wildly screwed up when they "rebooked" my flight with a new connection. I hope I get my code, and refund, back promptly and correctly... not holding my breath!

P.S. I did not stay on the phone to take the survey, she was nice enough but ultimately didn't do anything helpful, if anything, got my hopes up for nothing. I assume not doing the survey is better than marking anything less than a 10? It didn't ask how nice she was, rather, would I want to book with AA again based on my experience... the answer is not particularly thrilled but we all know I am going to anyway, lol.
Carolina2Cali likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.