Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Three linked PNRs, 3 MCE seats together changed after booking (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:44 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

Not sure why this happened and the agent I called to ask the same said there were no notes indicating why.

Booked 3 separate tickets for 3 of us for a domestic trip next week. At time of booking (after redeeming an assortment of flight credits and e-vouchers), our confirmation emails had us all in 9ABC on a 737-800.

Im plat and my companions have no status, so the agent had to link us to get them in the MCE row with me.

Today when checking my reservation, I saw my seat moved to 8C(1st row of coach), one companion moved to 8F and 3rd companion to 16B?!

Our initial seats are now filled by other passengers. The agent was not sure how or why. She said there no notes in any of our records, and there was no equipment change. There were other non-MCE seats available with 3 next to each other, as well as both sides of one exit row, so we moved back to 17ABC. Not ideal because one of my companions doesnt like exit rows.

Had we not learned of the seat changes until day of departure, we may not have found 3 together either.

I know seats are not guaranteed, and stuff happens. But considering the above info, any thoughts as to why? I dont recall having my seat changed in so long I wouldnt even remember.

She suggested I email customer service because she believed it was an error of some kind. Is it possible our original seats were moved for a VIP group of 3 they had to have 3 non bulkhead, non emergency row MCE seats? 😂
Old Mar 21, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Was there any sort of equipment change? 738 to 7M8 (or vice versa)? Or Oasis/Kodiak to non-Oasis/Kodiak (or vice versa)?

My understanding is "linking" is really a misnomer. I believe it's just a notation in the PNRs but that the automated algorithms don't look at the notations.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The AA free MCE seat assignment is only for other passengers traveling on the same reservation. OP's companions were on different PNR's and thus, not entitled to free MCE seat assignments unless they qualified on their own (apparently not). The agent who handled the booking likely attempted to waive the fees for the others and it simply did not stick.

As noted above, there really is no such thing as "linking". Those are PNR notes which may be of remote assistance in IRROPS if a live person actually looks at them.

Not worth asking AA why as it will likely simply generate a cut & paste response about seat assignments not being guaranteed. Would have been better if the first agent had simply advised you that you would have to pay for the MCE seat assignments for the others.

"All listed members [PLT and above] are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation."
JDiver, arollins and seawolf like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
There seems to be a change in language to indicate same reservation versus same flights or itinerary. I am unsure when it changed.

I think for the agent if they are prompted for a reason for providing no charge MCE, the traveling with elite on separate PNR is still an option.

A lot could have happened including the flight was briefly changed then readded to the system.

Unfortunately, seat assignments are never guaranteed.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 5:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I’m sorry, but even if your companions on other PNRs had been eligible for MCE, PNRs are not capable of being “linked” in any meaningful way. “Linking” is actually an addition of a “TCP” (To Complete Party) note in the “OSI” (Other Service Information) field in each PNR. When that is done, it still requires a human open Zander read the OSI field in the PNR. “Linking” works better, but not always, in IROPS and flight cancellations and reaccommodations than in keeping the same seats.

See FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)
Often1 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rasheed
There seems to be a change in language to indicate same reservation versus same flights or itinerary. I am unsure when it changed.
I think that language has been there for quite some time. There are several threads over the years where it has been discussed.

I don't think the "same reservation" requirement applies to 500 mi upgrades, so perhaps that's the confusion.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 12:12 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Was there any sort of equipment change? 738 to 7M8 (or vice versa)? Or Oasis/Kodiak to non-Oasis/Kodiak (or vice versa)?
Seat map is the same as it was when we booked and chose the seats, and agent also said no equipment change was made.

Originally Posted by Often1
The AA free MCE seat assignment is only for other passengers traveling on the same reservation.
I've never had a problem calling and requesting the companion(s) be seated in MCE with me. I can think of at least 6 trips in the past 2 years where this was done without any issue. In this case, even as a non-elite, she was moved from 9B to 8F - which is another MCE seat, so that doesn't make sense either considering there are still a fair number of non-MCE seats available.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 10:05 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
All 738s are now supposed to be showing the Kodiak configuration as of a certain date so its possible that even if the seat map didnt actually change after your booking, some internal glitch associated with the change to all Kodiak impacted the seat assignments on your flight and while the system preserved MCE seats for your group, it didnt automatically put you together even though there were open MCE seats. (Just like how when upgrades are processed, Im never automatically seated next to my spouse, even when F is wide open?)
Old Mar 23, 2021, 10:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHL
Seat map is the same as it was when we booked and chose the seats, and agent also said no equipment change was made.

I've never had a problem calling and requesting the companion(s) be seated in MCE with me. I can think of at least 6 trips in the past 2 years where this was done without any issue. In this case, even as a non-elite, she was moved from 9B to 8F - which is another MCE seat, so that doesn't make sense either considering there are still a fair number of non-MCE seats available.
That is a different question than whether there was an entitlement to the seat assignment. Agents can always assign seats and waive the fees. The question is whether the assignment sticks. Entirely possible that a software upgrade does a more aggressive sweep or that you just got unlucky.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
[QUOTE=PHL;33118690I've never had a problem calling and requesting the companion(s) be seated in MCE with me. I can think of at least 6 trips in the past 2 years where this was done without any issue. In this case, even as a non-elite, she was moved from 9B to 8F - which is another MCE seat, so that doesn't make sense either considering there are still a fair number of non-MCE seats available.[/QUOTE]

What may have been received in the past as a courtesy by an agent/phone rep, does not mean it is the norm and should be standard. Non elite members traveling on their own PNR are not entitled to MCE seats unless they purchased it.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by arollins
What may have been received in the past as a courtesy by an agent/phone rep, does not mean it is the norm and should be standard. Non elite members traveling on their own PNR are not entitled to MCE seats unless they purchased it.
That makes sense, except I don't what what difference it makes to AA if my wife and I are on different PNRs.
This my be needed because one of use in getting business to pay for the trip. Hardly a reason AA should separate us. Or, one could be on a paid ticket and the other a reward.
I am not arguing AA doesn't have that rule, simply that I don't see the logic in it.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arollins
That makes sense, except I don't what what difference it makes to AA if my wife and I are on different PNRs.
This my be needed because one of use in getting business to pay for the trip. Hardly a reason AA should separate us. Or, one could be on a paid ticket and the other a reward.
I am not arguing AA doesn't have that rule, simply that I don't see the logic in it.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
My guess (and it's just a guess): I suspect the reasons are partially due to IT limitations and partially to prevent situations such as co-workers traveling on the same flight from using one co-worker's status to get MCE for everyone else.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
My guess (and it's just a guess): I suspect the reasons are partially due to IT limitations and partially to prevent situations such as co-workers traveling on the same flight from using one co-worker's status to get MCE for everyone else.
I suspect the latter. The same issue exists for most carriers when a service is extended based on status.

Consider that AA permits up to 8 on the same reservation to have the freebie as well. Should one be able to move 8 of one's coworkers or buddies into MCE by simply calling in? If not, where is the line? Spouse, lover, or perhaps both?
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
I suspect the latter. The same issue exists for most carriers when a service is extended based on status.

Consider that AA permits up to 8 on the same reservation to have the freebie as well. Should one be able to move 8 of one's coworkers or buddies into MCE by simply calling in? If not, where is the line? Spouse, lover, or perhaps both?
Same household?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.