Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE: Please see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-ticketed.html for the current thread.

"Hold", "Pending", "On Request", "Purchased" and "Ticketed" Status: What does it mean?
Purchased or award itineraries may both show one or more of these

Your itinerary may show as on "Hold"; this means you may have not paid for it yet, or it may indicate your action to purchase (award or purchase" hasn't processed yet. Keep an eye and call if it doesn't process to "On Request" or "Pending" fairly quickly.

Your award or purchased itinerary may show as "On Request", "Pending", "Purchased" or "Ticketed" when you look at it online. To travel you need a "Ticketed" itinerary with a ticket number. AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers (e.g. #0012345678901), not a six letter (on AA) PNR*. On UA, 016-, etc.

If one is traveling in months or weeks, it could take a day or more to pass from "On Request" or "Pending" to "Purchased" and on to "Ticketed", depending on whether it needs verification from partner airlines (can take 72 hours or more weekends and holidays) or go to the Rate Desk for approval.

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change. (aa.com)
Q: Why are revenue tickets on other airlines on a request basis only?

A: Other airline reservations are on a request basis only and may take 24 hours or more for confirmation. In addition, some airlines require post-booking reconfirmation of reservations made on aa.com. Please check with the airline for more details. (aa.com)
AA Conditions of Carriage, Section I(a)(2): "No person shall be entitled to transportation except upon presentation of a valid ticket."
Your itinerary online will reflect ticketing condition:

Pending or On Request mean your itinerary is essentially an offer, which might require processing for fees and taxes, approval and confirmation by a partner airline, etc. This can take 72 hours - longer over weekends and holidays, or if the trip is some time away.

"Purchased" or means the ticketing has been approved, but is awaiting issuance of a ticket.

"Ticketed" means you now have a Ticket Number (AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers, E.g. #0012345678901) - emailed to you; or, from your booking on aa.com, when you select "Print Receipt", you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number.

When you see your itinerary online, additionally you will be able to "Print a Receipt" with ticket numbers if your itinerary is fully accepted and ticketed. If it is not and you can only "Print Itinerary" rather than "Print Receipt", the ticket has not been issued as yet.

If Print a Receipt option is not available despite status being Ticketed, copy and paste the following URL into your browser on the same page as the displayed trip.

Code:
https://www.aa.com/reservation/printItinerary.do?forward=itineraryReceipt&isReceipt=true&anchorLocation=%2Freservation%2FfindReservationSubmit.do+aacomTripDashBoard_jsp&url=%2Freservation%2FprintItineraryReceipt.do
By travel time, you need one (or more) Ticket Number - do not presume to travel with just the six letter PNR. The ticket number is the "gold standard"; a PNR recycles, and is merely the handle for an itinerary.
To check your ticket's validity, fare class, detailed fare rules, etc. go to the AA Refunds site and enter your AA ticket number and you can see your ticket information before getting to a refund request.

You can select "Request a Receipt" or "Request a Refund"; prior to processing the refund request, you can see the detailed fare rules.

See post #261 for further information on checking ticket validity using the Refunds site.
*In the airline and travel industries, a passenger Name Record (PNR) is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains the itinerary for a passenger, or a group of passengers travelling together. A PNR is merely a record of an itinerary; it does not imply or replace true ticketing. Your ticket numbers are evidence you have purchased an itinerary and the airline has approved and permitted it.

AA PNRs (passenger name record, aka itinerary or flight confirmation number) is always comprised of six letters (other airlines may use numeric as well), is merely a temporary handle for your itinerary. It ultimately "recycles" some time after the PNR is cancelled or used up.

The ticket number (AA also uses "document number") is thirteen numbers, and the airline designator for AA is "001" (UA is "026", etc.) Ticket numbers are the gold standard, indicating you really do have a ticket, and may be necessary in requesting adjustments, refunds, improperly assigned mileage credit, etc.

With AA you should receive a ticket number on the e-ticket email, and on the receipt. Unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be award tickets, where sometimes we must do a bit of digging.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call back. You may be OK or EY may cancel an unticketed reservation. The problem then is that by the time AA gets around to it, EY may have either sold the award space or it may have chosen to return the space to non-award inventory.

If the latter, there is nothing AA can do to force inventory on another carrier.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:59 am

yeah, definitely call back. In my experience, most AA agents are dumb or clueless when it comes to partner redemptions. I had one tell me last month when it took about 36 hours to ticket that it can be ticketed any time between the request and fly date. To which I responded that I don't want to wait 3 months and the award space not even be there anymore and she replied "well, I hope it doesn't take 3 months, but there is nothing I can do." (her exact words)
Old May 10, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
AA queues partner award redemptions (and any done manually by an agent) to be reviewed by a supervisor before they are allowed to be ticketed. I don't know how long this has been the case but the PNR has to be notated and released for ticketing. I've seen these approval notations in PNRs before.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Quick Question regarding booking Award travel with AA miles

So last night,

I booked two reservations with two locator numbers and used my miles to book it. I didnt receive any emails yet and my credit card hasnt been charged for the tax. Its been over 14 hours. Should I be concerned?
Old May 23, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by livestrongforever
So last night,

I booked two reservations with two locator numbers and used my miles to book it. I didnt receive any emails yet and my credit card hasnt been charged for the tax. Its been over 14 hours. Should I be concerned?
What does it say online about the rez? Pending, Ticketed, ...

Are the flights AA/US? Partner tickets have been known to take a while, and being a holiday weekend maybe longer.

If in doubt, call to find out if there are any issues.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
If you look at the reservations on aa.com, does it say 'ticket pending'? If so, I wouldn't be worried just yet.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
it doesnt say anything because its through a partner, cathay pacific
Old May 23, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Last night I rebooked an AA award using wholly AA flights, and it still shows as pending, so even all-AA awards are taking awhile to reticket at the moment.

OTOH, I did get through to the EXP line right away, and it did recognize my home phone number, so some things are as good as always.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Recently booked an Award using AA miles on JL. It took about 72 hours to ticket, which is about average, in my experience
Old May 28, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
Curious if anyone has any experience with the "on request" status for EY bookings lately. My wife and I are planning a nice trip for April 2016 consisting of the following award flights:

CDG-DOH-DXB F QR
AUH-SYD F EY
NAN-LAX-PHX-JFK J/F FJ/US

Given how reasonably priced domestic F fares have become, I decided to let my EXP status go for 2015. That wasn't an easy decision, but it's the one I made. In the past I would have just snagged the above flights as soon as they became available since there are no redeposit fees or penalties for EXPs changing/cancelling award tickets. Now that I am just a lowly PLT, I had to book these tickets from back to front so that all the pieces to the puzzle were in place.

Managed to get the NAN-LAX-PHX-JFK segments booked last Wednesday (not that I have any desire to stay on those US flights). Ticket notification came through that same day, about 8 hours after booking.

On Sunday I called up to book the AUH SYD tickets. Availability was there, and snagged tickets. Those tickets have been "on request" since Sunday.

On Monday, I placed a hold on the CDG DOH DXB segments. That hold expires this Saturday.

The "on request" status for the EY flights is starting to concern me. In the past, when I have booked awards the miles have always been pulled from my account immediately at booking. That hasn't happened here. I know that the "ticketing" department that processes award tickets is closed on weekends and holidays. Assuming that department opened up for business again at 9am on Tuesday, we're now a little over 48 hours since then. I've called once or twice to ask agents to look at the reservation to make sure it has been set up correctly and pointed out that the mileage has not been deducted from my account. All of them say everything looks good.

Since I'm close to having to pull the trigger on the QR flights (or try to get the hold extended), I really want to have ticket numbers for the AUH SYD segment in hand before I book the QR segements. Does anyone have any recent experience with booking EY awards that they can share? How long did it take for the ticket to issue?
Old May 28, 2015, 9:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I booked awards using UL and EY not long ago; they took five days to process, and when I called the EP agent was able to find some reason they hadn't "taken" and was able to get them to ticket while I was on the phone with her. I immediately got the e-ticket.

This was a very skilled agent. I don't know if she was able to see something others may not catch on, but I'd call once again.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
Originally Posted by JDiver
when I called the EP agent was able to find some reason they hadn't "taken" and was able to get them to ticket while I was on the phone with her. I immediately got the e-ticket.

This was a very skilled agent.
The EXP agents are the thing I miss most about being EXP. The SWUs were great too, but you had the most skilled agents at your disposal. Now, that I am getting ordinary ones through the PLT number, you can really tell the difference.

They'll be getting another call later today to see what can be done. I once had a ticket where an agent improperly tried to attach a SWU to an Openskies segment on BA and the ticket was on request for days. Once they saw the problem the ticketing was done on the phone. I know it can be done, but it is finding the agent who will do it for you.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:16 pm

Did you ever get this resolved with AA? How long did it take you to get your ticket notification? I am having similar issues.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:04 pm

I have been waiting since Sunday for 2 award tickets on CX to ticket
AA site shows on request but when I log into CX I can see it is ticketed
I have called AA 3 times they say they are still waiting for CX to respond
Old May 28, 2015, 8:14 pm

I've been waiting since Saturday for my CX tickets...

Originally Posted by flguy
I have been waiting since Sunday for 2 award tickets on CX to ticket
AA site shows on request but when I log into CX I can see it is ticketed
I have called AA 3 times they say they are still waiting for CX to respond

I share your concern. I asked AA to ticket my CX award flights this past Saturday, and have been waiting since. A couple of calls to AA indicate my reservations are in order. Checking my CX PNR at the CX website it indicates that my reservations are confirmed though.

Just how long does this take?

Prior AAward tickets on CX never took so long.

Last edited by Globehopper; May 28, 2015 at 8:20 pm Reason: Added more info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.