Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA needs a rule requiring head phones...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by dls25
I'm growing tired of having to be the person to ask other passengers to have some courtesy when using their electronics. Pre-COVID this would happen occasionally but this year, since there is a different passenger mix, I have had to do this on almost every flight.

I think the FA's should be policing this. One day, a cranky passenger that is trying to sleep is going to snap and do something extreme because some other passengers are rude and have no respect for others.
I am not sure this has to do with covid or pax mix.
I do agree that the habit is more prevalent now (not only on airplanes) and, yes, annoying as hell.

Last October in LAX-MIA (narrowbody/no IFE), a woman was watching videos without headphones - very loud - and I tried to keep my cool thinking she would stop at some point. But nope.
When I could not take it anymore, I asked her politely if she could turndown the volume or put on her headphones.
She was very apologetic and immediately complied.

I would always try that first. Most of the times people are simply not aware of how loud their devices are.
In case you get someone rude that doesn't care AND if you really can't take it anymore, I would ask the FA to allow to change seats if possible.

Can someone clarify if there is an actual AA policy that does not allow using device speakers but only headphones?
Old Dec 27, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
This is another case where noise-cancelling headphones are useful, although still very sad if they have to be used for this purpose.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
I do agree that the habit is more prevalent now (not only on airplanes) and, yes, annoying as hell.
Yep, I've even noticed it a few times recently on biking/hiking trails in local parks. Extremely annoying.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I don't know if there is a policy regarding this but I recall the crew making announcements on some of my recent AA flights asking for people to keep their headphone voice levels down when listening to something.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Originally Posted by econ
This is another case where noise-cancelling headphones are useful, although still very sad if they have to be used for this purpose.

Yep, I've even noticed it a few times recently on biking/hiking trails in local parks. Extremely annoying.
I don't think having a speaker at a reasonable volume in the park or while hiking is unreasonable. People enjoy their music and hiking with headphones, well its not very comfortable, and in some case can be dangerous as you don't want to muffle your surroundings.

Airplanes on the other hand that annoys the heck out of me.

Also happened to me recently seated next to a dad and a toddler, he just puts on the laptop turns up the volume like it was no big deal. I could barely hear it once I put my noise cancelling headphones on but I thought it was rude. This does seem to be happening more often on flights as of recent.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PointsPanda
I don't think having a speaker at a reasonable volume in the park or while hiking is unreasonable. People enjoy their music and hiking with headphones, well its not very comfortable, and in some case can be dangerous as you don't want to muffle your surroundings.

Airplanes on the other hand that annoys the heck out of me.

Also happened to me recently seated next to a dad and a toddler, he just puts on the laptop turns up the volume like it was no big deal. I could barely hear it once I put my noise cancelling headphones on but I thought it was rude. This does seem to be happening more often on flights as of recent.
I generally agree, primarily because in areas with space, everyone can find their own. That said, if there's a picnic area or seating area, monopolizing the sound is rude; ask if anyone has issues or better yet, offer to let them queue up some songs too and everyone is generally happy.

On an aircraft, there simply isn't space to find your own, so headphones or sit in silence.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 8:20 pm

There is a rule about using headsets, as far as policing, we can only do so much to keep folks in line! lol
dls25, jhalapin and United16 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I was in 1D a month ago and they rolled the economy cabin forward and the guy that got 1F was playing rap music loudly without earphones for awhile during taxi. Not good. But at least it stopped in flight.
I find a good counter to people that like to play rap music for the general public to hear is to play the most country thing you can think of as loud as you can back to them. Think Hank Williams Sr or something.
It usually gets the point across pretty fast.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Why not tell the passenger directly to use headphones? Odds of that turning into a confrontation are low on an airplane (this isn’t the subway where the best option is to glare) and I wouldn’t want a miserable flight or hinge on the hope an FA polices.

I even had one flight where a passenger had headphones but volume was still so loud it was audible across the aisle. When asked to lower volume the passenger couldn’t hear but an FA did and relayed the message.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Why the hyperspecific reference? Are you talking about F being allowed to lie flat for landing? Are you woken up on domestic narrowbodies and international widebodies?

Also, how are you tabulating this? Sounds like you're recalling cases where you woke up reclined, close to landing, and inferred that you were already below 10,000 feet (presumably by the short remaining descent, lack of an announcement/chime, and/or FAs already being buckled in). How many of those cases have actually occurred in your domestic widebody redeye flights -- i.e., what's your sample size?
I mean kinda OT but yeah it's the hyperspecific sample that came to mind. Sample of at least a handful such flights since covid where I've woken up in a flat or nearly flat position only because the plane hit the pavement (not "close to landing"--landed, lol), and where it seemed like the crew was totally mailing it in and chatting it up in the galley all night or whatever. Most recently LAX-CLT two days ago. I avoid domestic narrowbody redeyes other than the now-nonexistent A321T, and I haven't had any AA int'l widebody flights since March. Eh. I'd rather hyperspecify than overgeneralize.

Anyhow, as for the OP, I feel like this goes into the set of things that is best policed by the passengers. If someone is being obnoxious, a polite "would you consider using headphones" etc will probably work most of the time.
FlyingEgghead likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:48 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by jhalapin
It's already against the rules.

I was just on a flight to Barbados last Saturday with a family of 6 occupying 4 seats in F (2 lap children) across the isle. One of the kids was having a temper tantrum (for about the 50th time) and dad put a video player in the seat back and put the volume at about 11 (sorry for the Spinal Tap reference) so the kid would behave.

Took all of about 30 seconds for the FA to come back and let them know about the ear bud policy. They were NOT happy about it.
Wait, so which ended up being worse? I'd rather listen to a movie I didn't like way too loud, than a screaming kid.

Originally Posted by Antarius
Some FAs are only "here for our safety".
That would be my roommate, unfortunately for me, COVID has ended his career, permanently it seems. I now see him a lot more often. This is celebration for anyone on this forum, though. Delta, mostly French speaking flights from NYC or LAX, if anyone is trying to figure out whom, ha!

Originally Posted by apeortdz
I was in 1D a month ago and they rolled the economy cabin forward and the guy that got 1F was playing rap music loudly without earphones for awhile during taxi. Not good. But at least it stopped in flight.
Meaning they oversold and they just semi-randomly promoted any ole passenger up there who had not learned the "way" to behave?

Originally Posted by carlosdca
It certainly is, and the clientele in Vegas are worse too, but it isn't ALWAYS the passengers fault. Previously, airlines had screens in the seats and the only way to hear them was with headphones, either free, paid for, or if you brought your own. Now with us having to bring our own devices, this is a much cleaner affair (though annoying if you don't have a stellar case with a stand)... but allows you to circumvent the necessity for headphones. Or perhaps you even brought them, but they aren't charged, or you forgot the lightning adapter, etc. With COVID, we don't even get the silly magazines and SkyMalls or related. Ack!

Originally Posted by bchandler02
I find a good counter to people that like to play rap music for the general public to hear is to play the most country thing you can think of as loud as you can back to them. Think Hank Williams Sr or something.
It usually gets the point across pretty fast.
You're my kind of person!!!
jhalapin likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
Agree with the OP if they don't have a rule about this, then they should. I'm relatively certain they do have a policy requiring headphones for audio onboard the aircraft though.
They do have a rule.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by econ

Am I the only one having trouble with my headphones and mask? I can’t make the combo work. Had to go back to earbuds.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
This is like people talking on the phone before the plane takes off and after it lands. Annoying.
And I agree with the OP, I have noticed playing electronics out loud has picked up this year. Anything anybody can do to stamp it out is much appreciated. Like people traveling with pets and pretending they're service animals. Can't wait for that to end.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Wait, so which ended up being worse? I'd rather listen to a movie I didn't like way too loud, than a screaming kid.
{SNIP}

So, literally during the entire boarding process, the kid stood up on his seat and screamed at the top of his lungs that he wanted to get off of the plane. Literally for 35 minutes. Screaming, crying kicking seats and his dad over and over to the point where the FA came over and told them they would have to deplane if it didn't stop.

Flash forward to door closing. The kid was still going at it (albeit with a little less gusto) and the FA comes over and said they can't close the door with the kids like that. Mom and dad finally got him calm enough and they closed and pushed. He stayed rather calm for about 2 1/2 hours until he got restless and dad got out dinosaurs and other plushies from his bag to distract him. That lasted about 30 more minutes then he brought out the video player with the volume on 11 so the kid could hear it.

FA was fed up as the rest of us up front were and it took about 30 seconds for her to get up and come back and shut that down. She did offer ear buds for everyone and they declined.

FA walked away and the dad tells mom in the seat behind that he was going to get online and file a complaint about the FA, but he knew that they wouldn't do anything to her.

Lather, rinse, repeat when we landed and the kid didn't want to get off the plane now. Another temper tantrum.

Icing on the cake was when we deplaned via one of those zig/zag ramps (no jet bridges in Barbados) dad went to the bottom of the last ramp while mom held up everyone behind her at the top while dad videoed them coming down the ramp.

So, to answer your question, the video blasting wasn't as bad as the temper tantrums, but everyone was so tired of it all I think it grated on us more.

I did pass my business card to the FA when I deplaned in case she needed a bit of truthful backup on what happened.

YMMV
dls25, Antarius and United16 like this.

Last edited by jhalapin; Dec 28, 2020 at 7:44 am Reason: I can't spell for shat
Old Dec 28, 2020, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by skylady
There is a rule about using headsets, as far as policing, we can only do so much to keep folks in line! lol
AA should make this part of the preflight announcements.
Daze, GrumpyYoungMan and Check like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.