Search

SAN - Rude/Unprofessional Gate Agent

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

SAN - Rude/Unprofessional Gate Agent

Hello, all.

I flew AA non-stop SAN-ORD today.

I booked a regular economy ticket through a third party site and forgot to choose my seat ahead of time, so I was assigned seat 30E at some point before I checked in for the flight. I checked in about T-50, and attempted to change my seat to 15E and received an error message that it was too close to departure to change myself and to see an agent. The only other blue/free seats were middles or one aisle/window near the rear of the plane, which I did not want.

I approached the GA, asked to change to 15E, which after a few moments he did. As I was gathering my belongings to join the boarding lane, he says to me <first name>, you're on one of those $38 or $58 fares, so if I see you in any other seat except this one when I do my final walk-through, that's it, you're off the plane. These were his exact words.

He had been surly from the moment I stepped up to the podium so I did not escalate and just agreed to what he said and boarded. I assume he said this because many of the green/orange seats were empty, but still found it very rude to address me in a condescending nature and threaten to throw me off the plane after changing my seat. And no, my last name is not difficult to pronounce. That said, two questions:

1. If I send in a complaint can he be identified some how through my new boarding pass/seat change?
2. Is it worth complaining about or am I overreacting?
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:48 pm

I'd say yes, he can be identified, and yes, it's worth complaining about.
GlobalMatt, Gerbs, cmd320 and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NRoften
And no, my last name is not difficult to pronounce.
I'm sure no one thinks their last name is difficult to pronounce and yet someone in the world would find that last name difficult to pronounce. However, I don't see the relevance here.
Statman likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by emcat
I'm sure no one thinks their last name is difficult to pronounce and yet someone in the world would find that last name difficult to pronounce. However, I don't see the relevance here.
I think the relevance is that they addressed the OP by first name only.

I personally don't care, but some might find it odd to be called by just their first name by a stranger.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Yes, worth complaining about. That's well past mere laziness (which itself might be worth complaining about) and into the realm of gratuitous aggression.
GlobalMatt and VonnyS12 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
The GA actually gave the seat you wanted and you enjoyed that seat for 4+ hours. Why would you complain about a 10 secs interaction?

Fact: Your complaint to AA will achieve nothing.
Even if it is possible to identify the GA name, he won't be reprimanded or sent back to training.

Objectively, he changed your seat as requested and emphasized to you company policy. He did not insult you. He did not use profane language.
All that there is here is YOUR perception that he had a surly tone.
Forget about it. Move on.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't believe that it is AA company policy that a person is not permitted to change to an unused seat on the aeroplane in the same cabin
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:20 am
C46

Pax changing seats after boarding are not really well received, in regards of safety & security.
If anything happens, it would be better, if the manifest could match pax & actual seat.

Identifying an agent would be easy, if he was signed-in at the gate. SABRE prints a 3-character agent-ID on every boarding pass. If there were multiple agents, there is a chance that somebody else's ID was printed.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by C46
Pax changing seats after boarding are not really well received, in regards of safety & security.
Yet it happens ALL the time.

Last edited by Always Flyin; Dec 17, 2020 at 11:04 am
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If you don't like what they said, the manner in which they said it, then I would contact them. If he/she has form for it then I am sure it will be in the system somewhere.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Fact: Your complaint to AA will achieve nothing.
Even if it is possible to identify the GA name, he won't be reprimanded or sent back to training.
Perhaps true on a single complaint of this nature, but this is a numbers game, and typically we complain in the hope that it adds to enough others complaining of similar incidents.
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Objectively, he changed your seat as requested and emphasized to you company policy.
Even in the strictest case, in response to someone changing seats onboard (which in fact is often acceptable) wouldn't company policy be first an instruction to return to the assigned seat, not summary deboarding?
Originally Posted by NRoften
he says to me <first name>, you're on one of those $38 or $58 fares, so if I see you in any other seat except this one when I do my final walk-through, that's it, you're off the plane.
The offense, at the very least, is singling out a customer with a threat to deboard when they hadn't done a single thing wrong. That would make any customer feel unwelcome.
EDIT: In addition, linking treatment onboard to a judgement about the dollar amount paid for the ticket (i.e., that someone on a subjectively "low" fare can be treated worse -- not tied to published booking-class benefits/criteria) is not part of any AA policy I know of.

Last edited by FlyingEgghead; Dec 17, 2020 at 3:37 am
Old Dec 17, 2020, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The warning is not warranted. But other than CS perspective, I don't see anything wrong in this.

FWIW - you are not supposed to switch seats unless you have consulted an airline employee (GA or FA). Seat assignment is important sometimes as the airline has to balance the weight for take-off and landing.
VSLover and C46 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 4:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
“I beg your pardon?”
Spiff, AAway, onanisland and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
I think the relevance is that they addressed the OP by first name only.

I personally don't care, but some might find it odd to be called by just their first name by a stranger.
I don't find it odd, but I do find it unprofessional and unduly familiar.
VonnyS12 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the responses.

In regards to the agent's perceived surliness, I say this because when I approached the podium I was greeted with "What do you need?" followed by, "that's still a middle seat" (30E to 15E). I didn't want to bog down my original post, but his tone and word choice throughout was not necessarily professional.

Normally, I would not have a problem being addressed by my first name, but this interaction was anything but cordial and I just did not think it was appropriate to address me so casually with an unwarranted threat of deplaning.
Spiff, emcat, Silver Fox and 3 others like this.

Last edited by NRoften; Dec 17, 2020 at 10:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.