FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look at it this way.
He could've called you "kiddo".
Gerbs, TWA884 and DC9 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kb9522
Except there is no policy in the grocery store about lining up items by weight.
Yes, and there is no policy that you cannot change seats within the same cabin once on board the aircraft.

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Great analogy.

And that's why you get "surly" people. Try putting up with this crap and sense of entitlement for 10 hours a day at poverty wages.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by cmd320
Yes, and there is no policy that you cannot change seats within the same cabin once on board the aircraft.

Not according to AA management wrt switching to a MCE seat.
writerguyfl and TWA884 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not according to AA management wrt switching to a MCE seat.
Hence the notation of in the same cabin.

I didn’t see anything that implied the OP was trying to self-upgrade, but if that was the case then that’s another story, still doesn’t excuse the attitude and threat though IMO.
GlobalMatt and Gringa like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:36 pm

In the grand scheme of things you got what you wanted.

There’s a million reasons why the GA could have been snippy, but I really doubt they woke up that morning and said I want to make someone feel like crap.

Or in another view, If I took offense at every quip a client, executive, random shmuch, or anyone else in my life ever made my way, I’d probably be locked up in a looney bin. Life is too short and .....ing on some random website is far more effort than it’s worth.
tkelvin69 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by theshaun
Not defending the GA, or saying the OP falls in to this category, but I could see GA's getting fed up with the amount of BS they put up with from $38 PAX thinking they are owed the world.

All he requested was a seat change.

That is part of the GA's job duties.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:44 pm

Hence the notation of in the same cabin.

I didn’t see anything that implied the OP was trying to self-upgrade, but if that was the case then that’s another story, still doesn’t excuse the attitude and threat though IMO.
MCE is in the same cabin, chief - Y. But your point is taken... this topic is a subjective view of whether or not one thinks the GA had an attitude or made a "threat"... Clearly there is a divide in opinion on this forum on that.
NRoften likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MCE is in the same cabin, chief - Y. But your point is taken... this topic is a subjective view of whether or not one thinks the GA had an attitude or made a "threat"... Clearly there is a divide in opinion on this forum on that.
I don't consider Y and Y+ the same cabin, for the reasoning you state above as well as the fact that it comes (well used to) with different cabin service, though that's another story.

Looking at a few seat maps, there's only a small handful of planes where 15E would actually be MCE anyway, so I kind of doubt that was the issue here.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I don't consider Y and Y+ the same cabin, for the reasoning you state above as well as the fact that it comes (well used to) with different cabin service, though that's another story.

Looking at a few seat maps, there's only a small handful of planes where 15E would actually be MCE anyway, so I kind of doubt that was the issue here.
Yep, both AA flights SAN-ORD on 12/16 appear to have been on Oasis 738s, so 15E was not MCE.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econ
Yep, both AA flights SAN-ORD on 12/16 appear to have been on Oasis 738s, so 15E was not MCE.
Sorry, just to clarify, it was an Oasis 738 and 15E was a regular economy (blue) seat.

I go back to SAN tomorrow, so I will update sometime tomorrow.
Spiff and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
We eagerly awAAit further details!
Spiff, cmd320 and NRoften like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
We eagerly awAAit further details!
Yes. I'm delaying Christmas until this travesty has been resolved.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Yes. I'm delaying Christmas until this travesty has been resolved.
Not sure why OP didn't immediately call the police and get a restraining order. From the sound of it, it was warranted.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: Costco Club
I can't help but wonder if this reaction to such a minor thing is why we've gotten to this race-to-the-bottom mentality among customer service and more specifically with airlines. The person has a very difficult job (pandemic aside) and as someone else mentioned doesn't go to work to crap on people.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Update for those who are interested.

Upon arrival in SAN it looked like the same agent was working my inbound gate, so I went to locate another gate with agents to request a supervisor. After finding said gate, there were 2 agents just about to leave and one of them identified them self as a customer service manager. The other agent also stayed to listen. Gave them the same story as I posted originally.

After I repeated the threatening statement the GA made, the other agent who stayed to listen responded with "Oh my god!" The supervisor was more (extremely) apologetic then surprised and proceeded to describe a certain GA's appearance and ask if this was who it was and I said, yeah, that's the agent who was working the inbound and I'm pretty sure that's him. I also told him I kept the boarding pass and he asked to see it and confirmed it was who he thought it was and shook his head.

We then just discussed the situation a bit and he mentioned how badly this could have gone with an inexperienced traveler or someone who was on their first AA flight. Unfortunately, just one of the bad apples and not surprisingly one of the most senior agents at the station. The CSM said he would speak with the GA and if it was him, he would also write in about it.

I consider this resolved at this point, so tkelvin69 can expect an on-time Christmas this year.
Spiff, SPN Lifer, AAway and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.