Search

SAN - Rude/Unprofessional Gate Agent

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by NRoften
Update for those who are interested.

Upon arrival in SAN it looked like the same agent was working my inbound gate, so I went to locate another gate with agents to request a supervisor. After finding said gate, there were 2 agents just about to leave and one of them identified them self as a customer service manager. The other agent also stayed to listen. Gave them the same story as I posted originally.

After I repeated the threatening statement the GA made, the other agent who stayed to listen responded with "Oh my god!" The supervisor was more (extremely) apologetic then surprised and proceeded to describe a certain GA's appearance and ask if this was who it was and I said, yeah, that's the agent who was working the inbound and I'm pretty sure that's him. I also told him I kept the boarding pass and he asked to see it and confirmed it was who he thought it was and shook his head.

We then just discussed the situation a bit and he mentioned how badly this could have gone with an inexperienced traveler or someone who was on their first AA flight. Unfortunately, just one of the bad apples and not surprisingly one of the most senior agents at the station. The CSM said he would speak with the GA and if it was him, he would also write in about it.

I consider this resolved at this point, so tkelvin69 can expect an on-time Christmas this year.
Appreciate the update, and this would sort of be what I would expect. In my experience these kinds of surly agents are usually repeat problems and likely have a reputation already. Unfortunately, it’s not easy for companies to get rid of them despite there being a deep line of qualified individuals to replace them.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K

I consider this resolved at this point, so tkelvin69 can expect an on-time Christmas this year.
There's still time for another lynching before the Christmas sheriff arrives. I'll wait until late Christmas Eve.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Update for those who are interested.

Upon arrival in SAN it looked like the same agent was working my inbound gate, so I went to locate another gate with agents to request a supervisor. After finding said gate, there were 2 agents just about to leave and one of them identified them self as a customer service manager. The other agent also stayed to listen. Gave them the same story as I posted originally.

After I repeated the threatening statement the GA made, the other agent who stayed to listen responded with "Oh my god!" The supervisor was more (extremely) apologetic then surprised and proceeded to describe a certain GA's appearance and ask if this was who it was and I said, yeah, that's the agent who was working the inbound and I'm pretty sure that's him. I also told him I kept the boarding pass and he asked to see it and confirmed it was who he thought it was and shook his head.

We then just discussed the situation a bit and he mentioned how badly this could have gone with an inexperienced traveler or someone who was on their first AA flight. Unfortunately, just one of the bad apples and not surprisingly one of the most senior agents at the station. The CSM said he would speak with the GA and if it was him, he would also write in about it.

All you got here was a sympathetic agent that was willing to listen to you and nod to everything you said.
In other words, you got someone at AA to validate your feelings about the encounter with the GA.
If that was your goal, then, yes, I agree, it was worth your time to do this.

As far as effecting change within AA, you really got nothing. is the supervisor really going to write about it? Or did he just say it to make you happy?
Even if the supervisor actually writes about it, that note is not going to do anything, other than perhaps pile up with other notes that exist on the GA file.
The surly GA (or dry humor GA) is still there, fulfilling paxs requests but being surly/sarcastic/threatening about it.

To each his own, I don't think that this outcome is any different to receiving a canned email response and 500 pity miles.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Thanks to the OP for the considered approach to providing feedback to AA that, hopefully, will make its way to the discourteous GA. I know from my experiences working at airlines, these small efforts do indeed have an impact, so your taking the time to point out your experience to the SAN airport team was beneficial. Thank you. More people need to take such actions rather just armchair complaining, but doing nothing to create real change.
Spiff, SPN Lifer, TWA884 and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:22 pm

FWIW I flew AA43 SAN-PHL on December 17 and was not impressed with the gate agent, either.

He was busy chatting with an aircraft service staffer when I approached then ignored me to finish the conversation and nearly walked away without speaking to me. I wanted to speak to him because another passenger was clearly drunk, had answered the phone moments earlier (on speaker), "....., what the .... do you want?", announced loudly he was drunk and didn't really know what was going on. I don't care if people are intoxicated but when they're clearly irritated and belligerent, I'd rather that be dealt with on the ground than in the air.

The agent took the description from me and identified the passenger and told me they'd check him out while boarding. I didn't pay 100% attention to boarding but I don't believe he was boarded and there was apparently no trouble in the air. So while he appeared disinterested in speaking with me he apparently took my comments seriously.

This was my first RT on AA after basically abandoning DL for their poor service to elites. Also first trip this year due for obvious reasons, as well. I'll probably fly AA again but I'd hate to see more poor service as that is what I am trying to flee by leaving DL.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by slykens
FWIW I flew AA43 SAN-PHL on December 17 and was not impressed with the gate agent, either.

He was busy chatting with an aircraft service staffer when I approached then ignored me to finish the conversation and nearly walked away without speaking to me. I wanted to speak to him because another passenger was clearly drunk, had answered the phone moments earlier (on speaker), "....., what the .... do you want?", announced loudly he was drunk and didn't really know what was going on. I don't care if people are intoxicated but when they're clearly irritated and belligerent, I'd rather that be dealt with on the ground than in the air.

The agent took the description from me and identified the passenger and told me they'd check him out while boarding. I didn't pay 100% attention to boarding but I don't believe he was boarded and there was apparently no trouble in the air. So while he appeared disinterested in speaking with me he apparently took my comments seriously.

This was my first RT on AA after basically abandoning DL for their poor service to elites. Also first trip this year due for obvious reasons, as well. I'll probably fly AA again but I'd hate to see more poor service as that is what I am trying to flee by leaving DL.
Send a note to AA with the date and flight time. It's highly possible that it's the same GA and a pair of complaints coming within a few days of each other on different flights, plus the supervisor interaction may be enough to reassign this individual to a non-customer facing situation.
Spiff and Gringa like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I know from my experiences working at airlines, these small efforts do indeed have an impact
I've been a FF for two decades mostly with AA
I have had my share of my own encounters with "bad apple" GAs and sent in complaints in the past ("small efforts").
I have heard these stories in FT for more than a decade (The OP's experience by no means the worst GA experience around here)

I am not sure what impact these "small efforts" have.
GA culture has not changed at all for decades (whether AA "incompetency" or AA's tied-up hands by a unionized work force)

Let's hope what you say is true.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
The bad apples at various stations are well-known to the good apples and to the supervisors. The good ones want the bad apples removed just as much as we do. It's actually pretty rare that pax complain about GAs or other airport workers, so when complaints and other comments do come in, they're actually taken quite seriously. No, a bad apple is not going to get reassigned or fired from just a few complaints, but tens of complaints do cause red flags to be raised on the offending agent. If nothing else, these warnings help that employee know that they might end up getting fired unless they have an attitude adjustment--some end up deciding to quit of their own volition.

GA culture takes a long time to be created and to change, much like everything else in large, multinational organisations. Do write in with complaints and compliments. They are indeed valued, especially when recurring items are flagged, such as this SAN GA.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
All you got here was a sympathetic agent that was willing to listen to you and nod to everything you said.
In other words, you got someone at AA to validate your feelings about the encounter with the GA.
If that was your goal, then, yes, I agree, it was worth your time to do this.

As far as effecting change within AA, you really got nothing. is the supervisor really going to write about it? Or did he just say it to make you happy?
Even if the supervisor actually writes about it, that note is not going to do anything, other than perhaps pile up with other notes that exist on the GA file.
The surly GA (or dry humor GA) is still there, fulfilling paxs requests but being surly/sarcastic/threatening about it.

To each his own, I don't think that this outcome is any different to receiving a canned email response and 500 pity miles.
This candid and all-too-true posting reminds me of the magazine cartoon from several decades ago, showing an office "suggestion box" that was mounted on the wall, above a circular wastepaper basket. Yes, the "suggestion box" did not have a bottom!
Old Dec 25, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
The bad apples at various stations are well-known to the good apples and to the supervisors. The good ones want the bad apples removed just as much as we do. It's actually pretty rare that pax complain about GAs or other airport workers, so when complaints and other comments do come in, they're actually taken quite seriously. No, a bad apple is not going to get reassigned or fired from just a few complaints, but tens of complaints do cause red flags to be raised on the offending agent. If nothing else, these warnings help that employee know that they might end up getting fired unless they have an attitude adjustment--some end up deciding to quit of their own volition.

GA culture takes a long time to be created and to change, much like everything else in large, multinational organisations. Do write in with complaints and compliments. They are indeed valued, especially when recurring items are flagged, such as this SAN GA.
All true and applicable if this story is accurate. I've found most people on FT who complain about relatively small issues are just trying to justify their actions and give only one side of the story. Walk a few shifts in a CSA life and you might view it differently or perhaps the OP might have left out the GA was trying to get the flight out and a line of 10 passengers waiting while someone "needing" a seat swap.

Frankly, I help pay for AA's cost to operate an airline and think my money has been used very unwisely in this situation. Merry Christmas
Old Dec 25, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
All true and applicable if this story is accurate. I've found most people on FT who complain about relatively small issues are just trying to justify their actions and give only one side of the story. Walk a few shifts in a CSA life and you might view it differently or perhaps the OP might have left out the GA was trying to get the flight out and a line of 10 passengers waiting while someone "needing" a seat swap.

Frankly, I help pay for AA's cost to operate an airline and think my money has been used very unwisely in this situation. Merry Christmas
I find comments like this (of which there are quite a few here) unhelpful. Instead of addressing the issue at hand-- the FA was rude, there are inevitably some FTrs who very often feel the need to belittle-- read- gaslight- the OP.

"Take a few walks in their life"? No, that doesn't justify unprofessional behavior. His or her $38 or $58 indirectly keeps the FA employed.

If I were annoyed with a client of mine and talked to them in an unprofessional manner I would lose business or my job. Why should a rude, customer-facing employee whose job it is to provide *customer service* be exempt from behaving professionally?

In response to the OP's post, I do believe he/she should report it. AA management treats its employees- and customers-- badly and it sadly filters through to the front line. The only way to change these kinds of behaviors is to bring it to their attention. Will it root it out? Probably not. But the FA is most likely to think twice if he/she is called out on it several times.

I, like many, have witnessed a dramatic decline in professionalism at AA. I've had or seen several negative experiences that I do not see on other airlines- pure rudeness, crass behavior, a culture of surliness. It is no longer my airline of choice-- and hasn't been for a long time.
Spiff, hedoman, carlosdca and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I say send in a complaint. You will feel better and not be reliving it in your mind if you do so. I find that if I do so, I can move on no matter the outcome.
SPN Lifer and Gringa like this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I find comments like this (of which there are quite a few here) unhelpful. Instead of addressing the issue at hand-- the FA was rude, there are inevitably some FTrs who very often feel the need to belittle-- read- gaslight- the OP.

"Take a few walks in their life"? No, that doesn't justify unprofessional behavior. His or her $38 or $58 indirectly keeps the FA employed.

If I were annoyed with a client of mine and talked to them in an unprofessional manner I would lose business or my job. Why should a rude, customer-facing employee whose job it is to provide *customer service* be exempt from behaving professionally?

In response to the OP's post, I do believe he/she should report it. AA management treats its employees- and customers-- badly and it sadly filters through to the front line. The only way to change these kinds of behaviors is to bring it to their attention. Will it root it out? Probably not. But the FA is most likely to think twice if he/she is called out on it several times.

I, like many, have witnessed a dramatic decline in professionalism at AA. I've had or seen several negative experiences that I do not see on other airlines- pure rudeness, crass behavior, a culture of surliness. It is no longer my airline of choice-- and hasn't been for a long time.
If you assume the OP was completely accurate. I don't buy it and a majority of people on FT have no clue on the job airline employees do. If you don't find that perspective helpful then move on as there isn't anything more to see here.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
If you assume the OP was completely accurate. I don't buy it and a majority of people on FT have no clue on the job airline employees do. If you don't find that perspective helpful then move on as there isn't anything more to see here.
So per your logic, if one doesn't find your perspective helpful one should move on?

Is this not a discussion forum? You are one of many commenters, not the OP and not the moderator. So I'll stick around as I have been for over 15 years and move along when I so decide.

FT has always been a helpful community where we all respectfully share our experiences on travel. Perhaps it's a sign of the times but there's a lot more anger with some FTrs... which is unfortunate.

If you believe it appropriate to condone unprofessional behavior, that's your opinion. I suspect most would disagree. I certainly would not.

We all base our advice/guidance on what a poster says. If you don't believe the OP, what need is there to comment?
cmd320, no1cub17 and Gringa like this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
So per your logic, if one doesn't find your perspective helpful one should move on?

Is this not a discussion forum? You are one of many commenters, not the OP and not the moderator. So I'll stick around as I have been for over 15 years and move along when I so decide.

FT has always been a helpful community where we all respectfully share our experiences on travel. Perhaps it's a sign of the times but there's a lot more anger with some FTrs... which is unfortunate.

If you believe it appropriate to condone unprofessional behavior, that's your opinion. I suspect most would disagree. I certainly would not.

We all base our advice/guidance on what a poster says. If you don't believe the OP, what need is there to comment?
Talk about gaslighting and belittling. Double standard much?

Two opinions have been presented here:
1) GA behavior was absolutely unacceptable and by all means it was worth for the OP to complain and seek the local supervisor to hear the story. The supervisor will discuss the issue with the GA and a written report will go on his file. These little efforts will eventually make a change in GA culture and the SAN GA in question.
2) GA behavior can be interpreted differently and, in the big picture, the GA actually took the time (away from other GA responsibilities) to comply with the OP swap seat request, the "threat" could have been shrugged off by some here as a bad joke. Complaining does not do much as GAs have been like that for a long time and the system does not allow change (unions).

No need to insult call out other posters because they have a different opinion. It goes both ways.

This tread is done.
tkelvin69 likes this.

Last edited by carlosdca; Dec 26, 2020 at 2:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.