AA PHX-YVR nonstop?

Old Aug 30, 20, 12:36 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 35,260
AA PHX-YVR nonstop?

What happened nonstop flight PHX-YVR on AA? Is this route has been discontinued? Did they tried it before? All they want to bring it back. Will they ever reconsider again?

We are planned going to Vancouver, Canada for next year. We will visited Canada for a few days. I saw Diner, Drive-ins, and Dives TV show. I watch the show. Peaceful restaurant.
N830MH is offline  
Old Aug 30, 20, 1:31 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,814
If I remember when it flew last year it had two non stop competitors. West Jet and Air Canada. And multiple flights with connections flights that were really easy. But I think before you jump to conclusions let’s see if Canada will lift the travel ban due to Covid that restricts anything but essential travel

Last edited by Centurion; Aug 30, 20 at 11:02 am
Centurion is offline  
Old Aug 30, 20, 11:30 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: YYF/YLW
Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Posts: 5,213
I believe AA suspended all YVR flights. Frankly, I wouldn’t count on Canada lifting the ban on non-Canadians entering the country even next summer (certainly not Americans unless and until you get the outbreak under control — there is something like 85% support here for keeping the border closed, and a minority government sure isn’t likely to go against that level of popularity especially when there is at the very least a strong argument that it’s a good policy as well), and I wouldn’t expect AA’s route planning to count on that either. If the travel ban is lifted, I’d expect things to change.

It’s loaded as resuming in June 2021, according to the link above.

Last edited by ashill; Aug 30, 20 at 11:51 am
ashill is offline  
Old Aug 30, 20, 11:36 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 10,190
Originally Posted by ashill View Post
I believe AA discontinued all YVR flights. Frankly, I wouldnít count on Canada lifting the ban on non-Canadians entering the country even next summer (certainly not Americans unless and until you get the outbreak under control ó there is something like 85% support here for keeping the border closed, and a minority government sure isnít likely to go against that level of popularity especially when there is at the very least a strong argument that itís a good policy as well), and I wouldnít expect AAís route planning to count on that either. If the travel ban is lifted, Iíd expect things to change.

Itís loaded as resuming in June 2021, according to the link above.
Yikes! But then again, I don't have an urge to go to Canada haha
AANYC1981 likes this.
fly747first is offline  
Old Aug 30, 20, 12:22 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond
Posts: 2,482
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Yikes! But then again, I don't have an urge to go to Canada haha
After November 3 you might. 😉
la2clt, Gerbs, Antarius and 3 others like this.
tkelvin69 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 20, 2:27 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: AA-EXP
Posts: 368
I did not realize AA stopped all flights to YVR.
My travel back and forth to Canada (as an "essential worker") has been through YYZ, and most of those flights (both ways) have had plenty of people on them, if not full. I would think the demand to YVR would be similar to YYZ even with the current restrictions.
Uzzar is offline  
Old Aug 30, 20, 2:32 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: YYF/YLW
Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Posts: 5,213
Originally Posted by Uzzar View Post
I did not realize AA stopped all flights to YVR.
My travel back and forth to Canada (as an "essential worker") has been through YYZ, and most of those flights (both ways) have had plenty of people on them, if not full. I would think the demand to YVR would be similar to YYZ even with the current restrictions.
Flights may be full but with dramatically reduced capacity. AA doesnít have a hub thatís particularly geographically convenient to YVR, and I donít think of DFW as a particularly high local demand spot for YVR. And AA can route YVR traffic over SEA on AS.

(I didnít realize it either until I saw that post searching in response to this thread. Last I knew, AA had suspended all YVR service except DFW.)
ashill is offline  
Old Aug 30, 20, 4:58 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Posts: 4,316
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
What happened nonstop flight PHX-YVR on AA? Is this route has been discontinued? Did they tried it before? All they want to bring it back. Will they ever reconsider again?

We are planned going to Vancouver, Canada for next year. We will visited Canada for a few days. I saw Diner, Drive-ins, and Dives TV show. I watch the show. Peaceful restaurant.
Will they reconsider it? Yes, eventually. At least on a seasonal basis. There's lots of cruise ships from Vancouver and lots of people who want to go to AZ during the winter. But it'll take them a while to bring it back. I wouldn't count on it coming this year, or maybe even next year. YVR is not a major focus for AA, DL & UA are far more flights as US carriers go. WS also flies to a lot of the places AA would wanna go. Personally I've always been waiting for a YVR-MIA red eye, but if that was ever in the cards, it won't be now for a long time.

If you wanna fly direct PHX-YVR next year, plan to do it on Westjet or Air Canada. If you must fly AA, you'll probably either need to make a stop at LAX or foolishly in DFW.
drvannostren is offline  
Old Aug 30, 20, 6:29 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: YVR
Programs: AA
Posts: 520
I've flown this route on AA many times in the past and really hope to see it again. Always a full bird.
theshaun is offline  
Old Aug 30, 20, 11:08 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MSP/BUF/BNA/LFT
Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Posts: 848
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Will they reconsider it? Yes, eventually. At least on a seasonal basis. There's lots of cruise ships from Vancouver and lots of people who want to go to AZ during the winter. But it'll take them a while to bring it back. I wouldn't count on it coming this year, or maybe even next year. YVR is not a major focus for AA, DL & UA are far more flights as US carriers go. WS also flies to a lot of the places AA would wanna go. Personally I've always been waiting for a YVR-MIA red eye, but if that was ever in the cards, it won't be now for a long time.

If you wanna fly direct PHX-YVR next year, plan to do it on Westjet or Air Canada. If you must fly AA, you'll probably either need to make a stop at LAX or foolishly in DFW.
The problem with YVR is point-of-sale.

The US point-of-sale traffic is very summer seasonal and centered around the cruise industry which is going to be dead for the next few years.

The rest of the year, the traffic is mostly Canadian point-of-sale; passengers that are much more likely to fly a Canadian carrier such as WS or AC.

AA is not a very good position in YVR.

Last edited by dls25; Aug 30, 20 at 11:13 pm
dls25 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 20, 11:41 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 35,260
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Will they reconsider it? Yes, eventually. At least on a seasonal basis. There's lots of cruise ships from Vancouver and lots of people who want to go to AZ during the winter. But it'll take them a while to bring it back. I wouldn't count on it coming this year, or maybe even next year. YVR is not a major focus for AA, DL & UA are far more flights as US carriers go. WS also flies to a lot of the places AA would wanna go. Personally I've always been waiting for a YVR-MIA red eye, but if that was ever in the cards, it won't be now for a long time.

If you wanna fly direct PHX-YVR next year, plan to do it on Westjet or Air Canada. If you must fly AA, you'll probably either need to make a stop at LAX or foolishly in DFW.
Actually, Air Canada have it. They do have direct flight PHX-YVR by operated Air Canada Jazz. But I didn't want fly on CRJ705 or CRJ900. It's very small aircraft. We prefer fly on a large aircraft.
N830MH is offline  
Old Aug 31, 20, 12:25 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,814
The fortunate thing about this route when it returns you can often purchase tickets last minute at a very reasonable price. I am it sure but when I flew it the Federal Air Marshallís seemed to like it. They would exit the aircraft at YVR and just hang in the hallway. They could have been another agency but these guys always flew up front.
Centurion is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: