Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

UA Permanently Eliminates Change Fees - Will AA Follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:08 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

Effectively immediately, change fees will no longer apply on all standard economy and premium-cabin tickets for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. This change is permanent — even once the pandemic is behind us, change fees won’t apply to these tickets. With that, United will join Southwest as the only big U.S. carriers that allow flyers to make changes without paying a fee.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...term=editorial

Last edited by controller1; Aug 30, 2020 at 2:21 pm
Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Well, we all know that “permanent” really means “permanent until it’s not.” Still, it’s a brilliant move by UA from a publicity perspective, and I have to imagine that AA will have to follow suit. It’s also a big revenue loss, but that revenue is gone for the time being in any event, and if and when demand returns, they can choose to reimplement the fee or find some way to replace it, with higher fares or otherwise.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
Effectively immediately, change fees will no longer apply on all standard economy and premium-cabin tickets for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. This change is permanent — even once the pandemic is behind us, change fees won’t apply to these tickets. With that, United will join Southwest as the only big U.S. carriers that allow flyers to make changes without paying a fee.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...term=editorial
AA/DL/AS basically have no choice but to match the changes. Most of my flights are on RJ's so there is no middle seat - this would actually give me a real incentive to book Main Cabin instead of Basic Economy on those flights.
chix, newbiztraveler and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
One of the interesting aspects is you don't get a refund/voucher/etc for changing to a lower fare flight.
Daze, IAHtraveler and Often1 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
One of the interesting aspects is you don't get a refund/voucher/etc for changing to a lower fare flight.
right. while a vast majority will not leave significant amounts of money on the table from a change ($100 lost for a cheaper fare being changed to for example...) i know i have recently "not cared" about losing $10 here or there for a handful of flight changes and while i have the vouchers available, im not going to remember that i have $7 here, $12 there etc etc...and imagine they know there are many more like me who either dont care or dont know they would be able to use that value.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Blumie
Well, we all know that “permanent” really means “permanent until it’s not.”
Exactly. This completely pointless thread could have been titled "UA Permanently Eliminates Change Fees - Will UA Follow?"
cmd320 and TravelBug1314 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Herb687
Exactly. This completely pointless thread could have been titled "UA Permanently Eliminates Change Fees - Will UA Follow?"
I need to frame this life altering contribution

It's a perfectly valid question to ask. No one said anything about permanency.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Antarius

It's a perfectly valid question to ask. No one said anything about permanency.
Very few "Will (Airline X) Follow" threads have predictive value.

I doubt any AA pricing analysts/managers are both A) working today when UA presumably filed fare rules changes to eliminate change fees and B) posting here.

And an AA match today doesn't mean it will stick. Any more than UA's "permanent" action won't be rescinded in whole or in part, quickly or slowly... Strong chance UA doesn't even follow itself!

Last edited by Herb687; Aug 30, 2020 at 3:48 pm Reason: add content
Old Aug 30, 2020, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius

LOL
Old Aug 30, 2020, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Yeah, this is nothing more than a measure to stop having to constantly extend the no change fee waivers.

But marketing did it's job to spin it up into being some huge customer service gesture.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
I'm sorry that you feel the thread is completely pointless. I wasn't opining on the message when I posted the thread. It was for informational purposes.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Yeah, this is nothing more than a measure to stop having to constantly extend the no change fee waivers.
Bingo. What one mass update to fare rules filing giveth, another will taketh away.

Since most of this forum seems to appreciate uninformed speculation threads, let me throw this out there to invite further guesses:

"If AA follows, what's the over/under on when that elimination of change fees will be rescinded?"

I'm sorry that you feel the thread is completely pointless. I wasn't opining on the message when I posted the thread. It was for informational purposes.
Titling it "Will AA Follow?" makes it seem like it was for speculative purposes!

Last edited by Herb687; Aug 30, 2020 at 4:34 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Aug 30, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320

But marketing did it's job to spin it up into being some huge customer service gesture.
Yes and for United to be the first in doing this, it's kinda a big deal lol
Old Aug 30, 2020, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fly747first
Yes and for United to be the first in doing this, it's kinda a big deal lol
It's a smart move. Southwest has made a lot of money on the back of the goodwill and loyalty they have gained on the back of no change fees.

So sure, it may not be permanent, who knows. But it's smart marketing by UA and sets a normally forgettable airline apart.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EP
I wonder if the difference between basic economy and economy will be greater now. On some routes it was very close.
platbrownguy and Antarius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.