Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new “strategic partnership” including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

”Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.“

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I booked an Int'l flight on JetBlue JFK>BGI (which does not show as on AA.com as it's not codeshare). I booked Blue fare. According to this page: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es/jetblue.jsp we still get status benefits on all JetBlue flights, correct? I ask because my reservation is showing a $30 checked bag fee. Will this be waived at check-in or?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I booked an Int'l flight on JetBlue JFK>BGI (which does not show as on AA.com as it's not codeshare). I booked Blue fare. According to this page: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es/jetblue.jsp we still get status benefits on all JetBlue flights, correct? I ask because my reservation is showing a $30 checked bag fee. Will this be waived at check-in or?
Assuming that your AAdvantage number was properly entered in your JetBlue reservation record, then JetBlue should eventually recognize your status and let you check a bag for free. Suggest that you download your AAdvantage card showing your status and be prepared to show it to the JetBlue check-in agent if JetBlue tries to charge you for a checked bag at the check-in kiosk.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by guv1976
Assuming that your AAdvantage number was properly entered in your JetBlue reservation record, then JetBlue should eventually recognize your status and let you check a bag for free. Suggest that you download your AAdvantage card showing your status and be prepared to show it to the JetBlue check-in agent if JetBlue tries to charge you for a checked bag at the check-in kiosk.
I double checked and it was properly entered. I was just trying to pre-attach the bag to the reservation but the system is trying to charge me $30. I guess I'll have to wait and do this at the airport
Old Sep 27, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
The way to check this is to pull up your itinerary and email it to yourself again. It is under "Itinerary Options" in the top right corner.

The website will always say 0 bags but if your Aadvantage # is entered correctly, this will be under each flight in the new confirmation email.

Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:22 pm

I double checked and it was properly entered. I was just trying to pre-attach the bag to the reservation but the system is trying to charge me $30. I guess I'll have to wait and do this at the airport
you need to call B6.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz
I have some B6 travel bank credit I can't really use because I'm in YUL where B6 doesn't fly. But AA does fly here and I do have plenty of chances to fly AA. But apparently you can't use travel bank credit for AA flights even booked through B6. Anyone know any corner cases where this does work despite not being intended to?
no. you need to fly B6. or book for someone else. youre based in canada. not jupiter. go take a vacation. use for positioning flight. enjoy the snak boxes.

pple ask this question all the time.
Jet Blue "Travel Bank"?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by dls25
The way to check this is to pull up your itinerary and email it to yourself again. It is under "Itinerary Options" in the top right corner.

The website will always say 0 bags but if your Aadvantage # is entered correctly, this will be under each flight in the new confirmation email.

My ff# IS entered correctly and your email trick shows the Even More Speed. However as you can see, it shows no checked bags are included with my fare. Although it does say "you've added two (2)"/ Not sure what that means as I didn't add anything. Are those the bags I'm allowed for free?

Fare: Blue
Carry-on bags: One (1) carry-on bag and one (1) personal item included in your fare.
Checked bags: No checked bags included in your fare. You've added two (2). If you need to check more than two bags, these can only be added at the ticket counter on your day of travel, and other baggage restrictions may apply. Checked bag allowance may vary based upon AAdvantage elite status at time of check-in.
Seat: XX
Notes: Even More Speed
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
My ff# IS entered correctly and your email trick shows the Even More Speed. However as you can see, it shows no checked bags are included with my fare. Although it does say "you've added two (2)"/ Not sure what that means as I didn't add anything. Are those the bags I'm allowed for free?

Fare: Blue
Carry-on bags: One (1) carry-on bag and one (1) personal item included in your fare.
Checked bags: No checked bags included in your fare. You've added two (2). If you need to check more than two bags, these can only be added at the ticket counter on your day of travel, and other baggage restrictions may apply. Checked bag allowance may vary based upon AAdvantage elite status at time of check-in.
Seat: XX
Notes: Even More Speed
My snip is for a blue basic fare and yours must be for a blue fare to account for the difference in verbiage. I would say the bags added when you didn't pay for any and the blurb about aadvantage status means those are your free bags.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:28 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
There's another positive development that was reported by Gary Leff today: you can now book AA awards that connect from JetBlue onto other carriers that JetBlue has a baggage agreement with (currently AT, BA, CX, CZ, IB, JL, QR, and 9K).

This is probably going to be most useful for people trying to find transcontinental business award availability to connect onto a long-haul flight: B6 seems to pretty readily release the I fare bucket, so you can fly JFK-(B6)-LAX-(JL)-TYO. I haven't been able to find an itinerary like that on the website in business or first yet to find out if it prices at the Business or First level, and whether the 15,000 mile adder applies for premium transcon routes on B6 when you are connecting to an international flight.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I've been quite disappointed with B6 availability, so not much of a difference.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Are there any elite benefits for AA members on B6 Basic Economy Fares

Couldn't really tell from the web site if seat selection, more space seat selection at check-in are available (for free) to elites on basic economy fares on Jet Blue - usually not an issue - but while I am asking - how about bags?
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Yes: one or more free checked bags; free EMS seat at check-in (if still available); priority boarding. However, no full-size carry-on, unless you end up getting an EMS seat.

Benefits also apply to others traveling on the same reservation record.
njvandy and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Thanks. And the same day change starts 24 hours before the ticketed departure and is free for elites? And applies to basic economy?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Only 2-3 data points, but I don't think I've been charged for alcoholic beverages while sitting in EMS as an AA elite. Not sure if I look like a Mosaic in their system or the flight attendants are just being nice. Not complaining, and it actually softens the blow of taking a B6 flight over the AA MCE alternative.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:39 pm

AA Ticket / AA Flight No / JetBlue Operated / OWE Status

Ok. So just trying to muddle through some domestic flight bookings in the US and would appreciate any guidance.

I have OWE status (BA Gold) and on my AA domestic flights I normally have the baggage fees waived. I am booking some personal travel (here on business) and the direct flights AA offer on their website are operated by JetBlue. If I book on AA’s website, with an AA code and ticket, does anyone know if my OWE status will be honoured?

not sure if to post here or in JetBlue so feel free to move it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.