Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new “strategic partnership” including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

”Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.“

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Since I am asking other dumb questions ... so I check in on the Jet Blue app and get my boarding passes. Will it say on there anywhere that it is an AA flight - I ask for entry into the AC reasons.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I must be screwed up again

A family member made a reservation on B6 for me and the FF number defaulted to my Flying Blue number (no surprise there)

I went into the booking PNR and tried to change it to my elite AA FF number, but it would not let me modify the records.

What am I doing wrong if I open the record using PNR + last name. All it does is display the info without allowing changes??
You need to contact JetBlue and ask them to change it. You can't do it yourself. Chat or Twitter or phone call.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:38 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Actually they now reimburse Mosaic members points for buying EMS seats with points at the time of booking (up to 200 points).
If you have to pay for it and get reimbursed, then is it really a benefit? If anything, it suggests that the inability to give away EMS seats at booking may be an IT related issue. Also, I've received the 200 points for being comped/assigned an EMS seat without paying for it, so that might be why they're handling it that way. On the other hand, I've paid for EMS seats before and had to contact them for my missing 200 points.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I went into the booking PNR and tried to change it to my elite AA FF number, but it would not let me modify the records.

What am I doing wrong if I open the record using PNR + last name. All it does is display the info without allowing changes??
Most airlines won't let you change the FF# online once you've put it in. With B6, you can add an AA# online when you book, or you can add it later if you left the FF# blank at booking. But once you put in the B6# you have to call them to change to AA#.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by diburning
If you have to pay for it and get reimbursed, then is it really a benefit? If anything, it suggests that the inability to give away EMS seats at booking may be an IT related issue. Also, I've received the 200 points for being comped/assigned an EMS seat without paying for it, so that might be why they're handling it that way. On the other hand, I've paid for EMS seats before and had to contact them for my missing 200 points.
It's still a benefit if the net cost is $0 for Mosaic but not for others. But I agree with you -- the way it is being handled definitely makes it look like an IT limitation.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:12 am

I cannot figure this out for the life of me. I'm hoping somebody could clarify for me please.

I want to book flights that are flown by JetBlue but sold by AA. I could just book them via JetBlue if that's easier. My question is how to make sure I receive my AA ExPlat benefits on JetBlue, mainly a free checked bag. I have no status with JetBlue.

I know this seems like an easy question that I should be able to figure out on my own but I'm confused. 🤯

Thank you for your help and patience.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
I cannot figure this out for the life of me. I'm hoping somebody could clarify for me please.

I want to book flights that are flown by JetBlue but sold by AA. I could just book them via JetBlue if that's easier. My question is how to make sure I receive my AA ExPlat benefits on JetBlue, mainly a free checked bag. I have no status with JetBlue.

I know this seems like an easy question that I should be able to figure out on my own but I'm confused. 🤯

Thank you for your help and patience.
Just enter your AAdvantage number in the reservation when you make the booking.
​​​​​
Andrea Waters likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Just enter your AAdvantage number in the reservation when you make the booking.
​​​​​
Do you mean that it's best to make the reservation on JetBlue and enter my AA number there?

Thank you for answering.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
Do you mean that it's best to make the reservation on JetBlue and enter my AA number there?

Thank you for answering.
No. It doesn't matter where you book the JetBlue flight. You can enter your AAdvantage number whether you book an AA-coded, JetBlue operated flight on aa.com, or on jetblue.com (although I'm not sure if jetblue.con offers AA-coded, JetBlue-operated flights on its own website). If there is a price difference between the two sites for the same flight, just book on the site with the cheaper price. (You will even get a free checked bag on JetBlue's cheap, "Blue Basic" fare, if such a fare is offered on your particular flight. But you might not see the free bag pop up until 24 hours before scheduled departure time.)

Edited to add: Is there a particular reason that you want your JetBlue flight to be "sold by" AA?

Last edited by guv1976; Aug 14, 2022 at 8:12 am
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by HankAAFlyer
could you contact JetBlue and request a refund, mentioning that you hadn't realized your AA status granted you the EMS seat anyway, and that it should have been complimentary? worse case, they say no. best case, they refund it, or give a you JetBlue voucher in that amount?
When did you pay for your EMS seat on the connecting flight? If you did so more than 24 hours before departure, I would not expect any refund from JetBlue, as EMS seats are not free for AAdvantage elites more than 24 hours before departure. AAdvantage elite passengers who want to assure themselves of getting an EMS seat by paying for one more than 24 hours before departure should not get a refund.
Originally Posted by HiAperture
Correct, I paid for it before 24 hours when it was not free. I do not feel entitled to a refund, I am just seeing if anyone else has gotten a similar email from Jetblue and if they encountered any issues because of it.

If their system happens to refund me (EMS is still less than half full at this point), all the better, I wouldn't have pre-paid if I had remembered the check in perk. I understand the policy is selection for free at T-24 Check in
Just following up that the paid EMS seat ended up getting refunded to my card, BUT I ended up being moved to a different flight due to a delay, so the re-ticketing may have triggered that.
HankAAFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 12:48 pm

I flew a LGA - BOS RT flight on JetBlue (booked via AA) and was credited based on distance and not fare. Is this right?!
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyintheback
I flew a LGA - BOS RT flight on JetBlue (booked via AA) and was credited based on distance and not fare. Is this right?!
No.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:29 pm

No.
Thanks. I didn't think so. What do I do to rectify this?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyintheback
Thanks. I didn't think so. What do I do to rectify this?
Contact AAdvantage. Be prepared to provide your ticket number.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:53 pm

Contact AAdvantage. Be prepared to provide your ticket number.
Got it. Just through the help form or can I call the Exec Plat line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.