Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 14, 22, 7:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rrgg
Wiki Link
American Airlines announced a new strategic partnership including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliances significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carriers network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlues position as New Yorks Hometown Airline and accelerates the airlines ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). Americans loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New Yorks John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce Americans customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlues TrueBlue and Americans AAdvantage programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and Americans AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 16, 22, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by meechyathere View Post
From AA News, 03/23/22:
"AAdvantage Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro members and TrueBlue Mosaic members are also eligible for same-day confirmed flight changes when traveling on either carrier."

From EXP line tonight, after conferring with two managers:
"Mosaics can Same Day Confirm on AA flights, but not the other way around."

Ended up paying $40 fare difference because I was in a hurry.
That gives me hope, even though Im not a pure same day change since Ill be trying to switch MSY-JFK-BOS to MSY-BOS. Rather than call the EXP desk, Ill just ask the B6 agents when I get to the airport.
Old Nov 19, 22, 8:26 am

Apologies if I've missed it, I've done a bunch of keyword searches and paged through this thread and haven't yet seen a direct answer.

If I book an AA flight number "operated by jetblue" via AA.com that will count towards the 30 segments I need for Loyalty Choice Rewards?

My instinct is that it will, given that it's an AA flight with an AA ticket number booked through AA, but thought I should double check first.
Old Nov 19, 22, 10:07 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL FO, NH *G
Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales View Post
Apologies if I've missed it, I've done a bunch of keyword searches and paged through this thread and haven't yet seen a direct answer.

If I book an AA flight number "operated by jetblue" via AA.com that will count towards the 30 segments I need for Loyalty Choice Rewards?

My instinct is that it will, given that it's an AA flight with an AA ticket number booked through AA, but thought I should double check first.
Yes.

B6-marketed flights operated by JetBlue or by American will also count.
Old Nov 20, 22, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by VFR;[url=tel:34771497
34771497]Yes.

B6-marketed flights operated by JetBlue or by American will also count.
Can I use AA travel credit to pay for an AA ticket flight on JetBlue metal?
Old Nov 20, 22, 12:10 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by nologic View Post
Can I use AA travel credit to pay for an AA ticket flight on JetBlue metal?
Yes if it has an AA* codeshare and AA files a fare for it.
Old Nov 20, 22, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Sounds good, though YMMV:
I don't think EXP will be able to do much at all, as MSY-BOS isn't marketed by AA (at least to my knowledge).

Staff at LGA may be able to switch you, likely only if there is a travel alert/change waiver. Which, if that is the case, B6 phone support would be able to do it too, if the website doesn't give you the option. But that could come with a wait time.
Old Nov 20, 22, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
As closing arguments are read on the US vs. B6 // AA, here's an inconvenience likely caused by this partnership:

Friend is flying JFK-ORD today, B6 sold and operated. Flight cancelled at boarding time, rebooked 9 hours later.

The next available flight (with wide open space) marketed by B6 is operated by AA. GA refuses to rebook on that, sends him to customer service to be rebooked.

I tell him he can just book the AA, thru B6 no less, and cancel the other one free. New flyer, wants to go the rebook route.

By the time he reaches the counter, AA flight is Y1 F1, fare is $1200. B6 will not rebook, saying that the flight does not have partnership eligible space - sure enough, the B6 app no longer shows the flight as available.
Old Nov 23, 22, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
When I cancel an AA reservation on hold on JetBlue metal, there seems to be an extended delay before that space goes back to inventory and I can put it back on hold again. Seems like many hour.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Yesterday, 1:16 am

Codeshare flight checkin & IROPS questions

I’m not sure which forum or thread is best for this, starting here since I think the first point of contact will be AA. We are traveling on a B6-stock B6-flight numbers ticket, with the first BOS-JFK segment codeshared and operated by AA (actually Republic), and the 2nd flight from JFK mainline B6. This is Sunday (yeah, Thanksgiving week), so I want to be prepared for the logistics and time required.
  1. I assume we need to check in with AA; will we be able to do so online 24 hrs before or have to check in at ticketing these days (no checked baggage otherwise, so I really hope not)? Will we get both the AA and B6 boarding passes? I do have the AA record locator.
  2. If there are any IROP delays/cancellations on the AA flight, do we need to call AA or B6 for reaccomodation (it’s a B6 ticket, but I know the operator matters)? I assume once we get to JFK in time for the connection that for any IROPs on the B6 flight we’d go directly to B6. Most of the alternatives I’ve written down would be B6 flights even from BOS.
Old Yesterday, 7:33 am
VFR

Originally Posted by jmastron View Post
Im not sure which forum or thread is best for this, starting here since I think the first point of contact will be AA. We are traveling on a B6-stock B6-flight numbers ticket, with the first BOS-JFK segment codeshared and operated by AA (actually Republic), and the 2nd flight from JFK mainline B6. This is Sunday (yeah, Thanksgiving week), so I want to be prepared for the logistics and time required.
  1. I assume we need to check in with AA; will we be able to do so online 24 hrs before or have to check in at ticketing these days (no checked baggage otherwise, so I really hope not)? Will we get both the AA and B6 boarding passes? I do have the AA record locator.
  2. If there are any IROP delays/cancellations on the AA flight, do we need to call AA or B6 for reaccomodation (its a B6 ticket, but I know the operator matters)? I assume once we get to JFK in time for the connection that for any IROPs on the B6 flight wed go directly to B6. Most of the alternatives Ive written down would be B6 flights even from BOS.
I am flying BOS-(AA)-JFK-(B6)-DEN right now, though on an AA ticket. I will report back on how the connection experience in JFK goes.

Check in with AA you always check in with the operating carrier.

In case of IROPS, the industry standard is that the carrier creating the delay is responsible for getting you to your final destination. When you get off your AA flight, if it is delayed, speak to the AA agent at the podium and they will rebook you (or tell you where to go).
Old Yesterday, 1:17 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by VFR View Post
I am flying BOS-(AA)-JFK-(B6)-DEN right now, though on an AA ticket. I will report back on how the connection experience in JFK goes.
I'm writing this from somewhere above Ohio using JetBlue's free Wi-Fi .

Once I checked in with AA, I was able to use the JetBlue record locator to get a JetBlue boarding pass on my phone.

The bus from T8 to T5 took a while, perhaps about 20 minutes? I had to show my JetBlue boarding pass to get on the bus.

If your first flight is operated by AA, it seems that you cannot get an Even More Space seat as an AAdvantage status benefit until you get to the gate for your B6 flight, because JetBlue's app/website sends you to AA to check in. I asked at the gate and they gave me an exit row to myself (which stayed empty!).

The AA app shows my checked bag as having been loaded onto my JetBlue flight.
Old Yesterday, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by jmastron View Post
Im not sure which forum or thread is best for this, starting here since I think the first point of contact will be AA. We are traveling on a B6-stock B6-flight numbers ticket, with the first BOS-JFK segment codeshared and operated by AA (actually Republic), and the 2nd flight from JFK mainline B6. This is Sunday (yeah, Thanksgiving week), so I want to be prepared for the logistics and time required.
  2. If there are any IROP delays/cancellations on the AA flight, do we need to call AA or B6 for reaccomodation (its a B6 ticket, but I know the operator matters)? I assume once we get to JFK in time for the connection that for any IROPs on the B6 flight wed go directly to B6. Most of the alternatives Ive written down would be B6 flights even from BOS.
So to report back on the checkin process for others looking -- we were able to check in online and get boarding passes for both flights, with Precheck and it was relatively seamless. Jetblue sent email that it was time to checkin (these are B6-issued tickets). On jetblue.com it showed the AA locator with a Continue link to aa.com. Checkin worked as normal on aa.com, issuing both BPs, but only let us view/change the AA-flight seats (which was okay because I had decent B6 seats booked already, otherwise might be an issue). Interestingly, I can only see the B6 boarding passes on my B6 app, but the others traveling can see both the AA and B6 BPs in their B6 app. No big deal because I printed them anyway, and I can see the AA BPs in my AA app.

Hopefully I won't be able to report back on IROPs handling!
VFR likes this.

Search this Thread