Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA at LHR / London Heathrow In Terminal 5-B on 7 Jul 2020 w/ BA, IB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines has moved all operations to Terminal 5, and departs from Satellite B, effective 7 July 2020.

(NOTE: In Sep 2020, the BA Galleries B Lounge remains closed.)

AA is expected to remain until Terminal 3 is reopened once flight operations increase to the point T3 is needed, though there has been chatter about a permanent Terminal 5 presence.

AA has a dedicated check-in area at Zone C, and two AA personnel, the left-most and devices are in First Wing Security channel as well, ostensibly for longhaul F, AA Concierge Key and Executive Platinum members not needing to check baggage or have visas or passports checked.

See post #1 for a map of T-5B.
Link to PDF of full Terminal 5 map.

NOTE: As of July 7, AA Concierge Key and AA Flagship First passengers have access to the Concorde Room (terrace, currently). AA F and J, plus Executive Platinum, may use the Galleries Arrivals Lounge when it reopens later this year. CCR and Arrivals Lounge are not covered by oneworld lounge access rules.

Print Wikipost

AA at LHR / London Heathrow In Terminal 5-B on 7 Jul 2020 w/ BA, IB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I will miss the CX F lounge as well, the Galleries F lounge in T5 IME is both crowded and HOT, confusingly hot as even if its not hot outside it tends to be a sweatbox in the FLounge. The buffet area in FLounge is OK but trying to order something off the menu can be an impossible task as there are never many servers walking around to order from and now with COVID who knows when we will even be able to have buffet type setups again. The CX lounge with the great leather seats and ottomans by the window, the great tables CX has with power in all their lounges are great to sit and relax in before a flight. While yes the CX lounge does have a very limited buffet section the restaurant more than makes up for that IMO. As a rule if there's an AA lounge and an OW lounge I skip the AA lounge so never tried the AA lounge in T3 but doubt that will be much of a loss, though wasn't LHR going to get a FFD setup before COVID? I would hope that if AA does move that they allow AA F pax into CCR in T5.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by remedy
That is true - BA 288/289 flew to and from T3.
Correct! I have been at entire T3. Where I fly back PHX.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I use it all the time. So now you know someone (referring to the T3 AA lounge).
aztimm likes this.

Last edited by birddogmax; Jun 7, 2020 at 6:11 pm Reason: Failed to quote
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I'm not going to go into deep research on the specific number of AA flights to/from LHR pre-covid, but it has been, and will continue to be the heaviest frequency international destination for AA by far, thus the only AA Flagship First lounge outside the US (plans to convert to a regular Flagship Lounge), an Arrivals Lounge etc. From the top of my head flights to/from LHR previously included JFK, DFW, MIA, ORD, LAX, CLT, PHL, and probably missing some, and many had multiple daily flights.
This in and of itself proves why AA can’t simply abandon having its own dedicated lounges, including an AC, arrivals lounge, and proper FL with FL dining. There’s just no way the BA facilities as they currently exist could handle the AA volume of flights and passengers along with Flagship/Premium Checkin. At least in Tokyo, AA has moved all of its premium services agents from the old AC at NRT over to HND (while I still the city is deserving of its own AC). LHR IS, definitely, without a doubt, AA’s indisputable most important international outstation. There has to be dedicated AA facilities there in the long run, especially considering all of the recent LHR adds like PHX, SEA, and BOS. Let’s wait and see how the dust settles before jumping to conclusions.

It’s just a shame that they reopened the great new arrivals lounge with 28 showers only have it collect dust if it’s abandoned in this move. The only time I’ve enjoyed an AA/BA LHR connection was I arrived into T3 on BA and departed from there on AA headed westbound.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
I have never used anything but a jetway for AA flights at T3.
You have been lucky. I certainly have been bus departures on AA (and at least one arrival, from memory).

Albeit, I never understand the obsession some countries place on jet bridges or not. Certainly on arrival, the bus drops you much closer to arrivals(/transfers) than a jet bridge does - making it quicker/easier to exit the airport or head to your next flight.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
This "rumor" has been making the rounds since 2018 or 2019.

There have never been any details or timelines mentioned, seemed like a pipe dream more than anything (especially at pre-covid flight levels).

I could definitely see a temporary move from T2 to T5 as things continue to pick back up. But long term AA and BA would have major issues to work out, especially considering too that BA closed LGW and shifted everything to LHR. Not losing any sleep over this at the moment.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
I've had to bus to an AA 77W on hardstand quite a few times at T3. At least 2x in the slower winter season, that I can recall.
Same here - I also had bus trips to BA 747's out of T3 (LHR-MIA)
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
The JBV is a mess with the same destination serviced by both carriers operating from different terminals. My guess is that when T5 reaches capacity that BA will move non-JBV flights (or perhaps destinations not serviced by both carriers) to T3. I don't see AA splitting operations to 2 terminals at LHR or moving out of T5 once they move there.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
I believe that a new lounge is being built in 5b so maybe that will be the AA terminal with pre-clearance?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
I believe that a new lounge is being built in 5b so maybe that will be the AA terminal with pre-clearance?
Why would you think there's pre-clearance? I don't think any UK airport has that.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Why would you think there's pre-clearance? I don't think any UK airport has that.
Not yet. But DHS said in 2015 that it was their intention to add LHR - this would make sense.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The JBV is a mess with the same destination serviced by both carriers operating from different terminals. My guess is that when T5 reaches capacity that BA will move non-JBV flights (or perhaps destinations not serviced by both carriers) to T3. I don't see AA splitting operations to 2 terminals at LHR or moving out of T5 once they move there.
Yes, the US is a huge market for BA, which is covered by the JBV (TATL), but the rest of world is much bigger in aggregate. Seriously doubt they would make that kind of move. And unless it is O&D traffic, who knows where someone flying from the US would be connecting to so the problem of having to connect from one terminal to another certainly would not be solved.

Last edited by teemuflyer; Jun 8, 2020 at 12:53 pm
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:19 am

For what it is worth, there are no open CBP job postings for London at this time.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
There are around a dozen airports on a list released by DHS in March 2015 and not one has been approved let alone implemented, in the 5 years since that list was put out. Not one. You can bet if they had been approved it would have been shouted from the roof tops and implemented by now.

There was a second list of a similar number or airports released by DHS in 2016 and again not one of those airports has been approved / implemented either.

There is no new lounge being built in 5B. The most that is happening is a refresh of the BA lounge.

If LHR does get pre clearance it will be at a location that ALL airlines that want to use it will be able to use and not restricted to one or two.

Heck we don't have any official statement (that I can see) from BA-AA that they are moving to T5 in the near future.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 11:19 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Let's hope AA conducts some market research among frequent flyers when they do this move, given that the response here has been "but the lounges!"

I think that if AA were to get some space in T5 to build a good Flagship Lounge and FFD, the T5 lounge situation would actually be quite good. However, I don't really see them doing this unless (a) pre-clearance is constructed, which HAL currently does not seem to have a plan for, or (b) they suspect J/F customers are going to defect over the lack of T3 lounge hopping that they have come to enjoy. Otherwise, I expect T5 to grow more BA lounges.

To be honest, given BA would pay AA for lounge access for J / FF flying European short-haul, it actually might be possible for AA to make some money opening a LHR flagship lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.