FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA at LHR / London Heathrow In Terminal 5-B on 7 Jul 2020 w/ BA, IB (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2019086-aa-lhr-london-heathrow-terminal-5-b-7-jul-2020-w-ba-ib.html)

JDiver Jun 5, 2020 3:44 pm

AA at LHR / London Heathrow In Terminal 5-B on 7 Jul 2020 w/ BA, IB

I’ve not seen any AA announcement at this time, but it appears that AA will be relocating permanently to LHR T-5 from its temporary sojourn to T-2 (executed 21 April 2020), sharing with BA and IB. There’s no date bandied about yet AFAIK, but I’m already into preparatory grief at losing the T-3 Arrivals Lounge, CX and QF lounges, etc.

We do lose Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride T-3 to / from T-5, and we have the fair if crowded Galleries lounges. And once air travel returns to normal, I’ll bet AAers get a few bus rides to the remote gates, given it is the BA terminal.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...455c1b792.jpeg
LHR Terminal 5, satellite B

econometrics Jun 5, 2020 3:56 pm

Wow. I know this was rumored to happen, but I share the grief of losing the excellent T3 lounges. Ugh. Never would have thought my visit to the CX F lounge back in early March would have been my last, most likely. :(

enviroian Jun 5, 2020 4:15 pm

That beautiful BA lounge at 5 is way above and beyond anything in 3 (AA, CX, QF).

pauleeepaul Jun 5, 2020 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32433107)
That beautiful BA lounge at 5 is way above and beyond anything in 3 (AA, CC, QF).

I would say it is a + for OWE but a minus for OWS.

morrisunc Jun 5, 2020 4:42 pm

Horrible news. I don't care about lounges but T3 is so much closer to the city and easy to navigate. I've never understood why BA seems to push all their JFK flights out to the remote terminal. I hate T5. Positive for those who connect a lot I suppose but major downgrade for O&D passengers IMO.

Concorde lounge is overrated IMO.

bse118 Jun 5, 2020 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 32433022)
I’ve not seen any AA announcement at this time, but it appears that AA will be relocating permanently to LHR T-5 from its temporary sojourn to T-2 (executed 21 April 2020), sharing with BA and IB. There’s no date bandied about yet AFAIK, but I’m already into preparatory grief at losing the T-3 Arrivals Lounge, CX and QF lounges, etc.

Nooooo :(

The [pre-COVID] T3 lounge experience is hands down the best lounge situation for OWE in the system.

I knew this was coming long-term, but if true, did not expect it soon.

That beautiful BA lounge at 5 is way above and beyond anything in 3 (AA, CX, QF).

What "beautiful BA lounge at T5" are you talking about? :confused: Surely not the decidedly average and often crowded BA Galleries First lounge.

The CX and QF lounges at T3 are far superior to any of the T5 galleries lounges.

And the BA T5 arrivals lounge doesn't hold a candle to AA's T3 arrivals lounge.

Dave Noble Jun 5, 2020 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 32433022)

I would say that the BA arrivals lounge is better than the AA arrivals lounge, so that would be an improvement. Getting to T5 is tedious though - the terminal area of T1 (when reopen), T2 and T3 is much more conveniant to get to

Gringa Jun 5, 2020 6:16 pm

What is the point of moving to Terminal 5? :confused:

enviroian Jun 5, 2020 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by bse118 (Post 32433257)
Nooooo :(

The [pre-COVID] T3 lounge experience is hands down the best lounge situation for OWE in the system.

I knew this was coming long-term, but if true, did not expect it soon.

What "beautiful BA lounge at T5" are you talking about? :confused: Surely not the decidedly average and often crowded BA Galleries First lounge.

The CX and QF lounges at T3 are far superior to any of the T5 galleries lounges.

And the BA T5 arrivals lounge doesn't hold a candle to AA's T3 arrivals lounge.

yes! The galleries F lounge is amazing. It’s so spacious and has so many different options. The AA lounge F PALES in comparison.

Madison Guy Jun 5, 2020 6:31 pm

Personally, I prefer the T3 lounges (even now as a OWS) over the BA F lounge at T5 (when I had access as an OWE.) I wonder if AMEX Centurion is still going to open in T3 as well....:(

Antarius Jun 5, 2020 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32433354)
yes! The galleries F lounge is amazing. It’s so spacious and has so many different options. The AA lounge F PALES in comparison.

And the QF lounge wipes the floor with it.

​​​​​And the CX lounge Pooh poohs in the distance unwilling to be sullied.

krispy84 Jun 5, 2020 6:48 pm

Do we have a source for this? Pre-Covid, my understanding was that T5 was pretty much at capacity. I can understand relocating to T5 temporarily while flights numbers build back up over the next year or 2, but longer-term I don’t know if there’s space? I would have thought BA would want to move their T3 flights before AA.

VFR Jun 5, 2020 6:54 pm

I'm sure nobody has the answers to these, but operationally:

1. Is BA's computer system compatible with AA flights now? I had heard that was a sticking point for IB.
2. Will BA take over the ground handling for AA flights (likely) or will Menzies be working in T5?
3. Will all AA flights to T5 have containerized luggage? I don't think this precludes any aircraft any more unless the 757s come back from the dead or the 73Ms grow lie flat seats, but it may preclude certain stations in the US which can't handle containers, if BA is unwilling to loose-load the baggage.
4. Are any BA flights going to T3 to accommodate this change?
5. Will there be enough lounge space? I know the plan for the AA/BA colocation at JFK was for BA to use an expanded Flagship Lounge, but the LHR T5 lounges always seem super busy, especially now that you will be adding Admirals Club members to the mix.

It's a shame to lose the CX and QF lounges... at least we still have some BA short-haul and AY to HEL in T3.

remedy Jun 5, 2020 7:00 pm

Won't miss the bus ride (especially close connections from AA to BA), but agree that the T lounges are better and the choices are nice. T 5 lounges are very crowded and limited. Don't get to the Concorde lounge very often, which is nice, though.

TEDisgone Jun 5, 2020 7:29 pm

That beautiful BA lounge at 5 is way above and beyond anything in 3 (AA, CX, QF). :rolleyes:

There, I fixed it for you - just missing an emoji.