Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club / Lounges: Openings, Closures, etc. 2021-2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 1, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AAway
Admirals Clubs began opening 22 June 2020. (Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining have no immediate plans for reopening.)

Link to AA lounge changes and updates page

As of May 7, 2021:

An update on our lounges

Admirals Club® lounges are reopening in phases with new improvements to reinforce your well-being.

We adhere to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and use enhanced cleaning measures throughout our clubs.

You're required to wear a face covering in the club, but you may briefly lift or lower it while eating or drinking.

Reopened clubs

• Atlanta (ATL)
  • Austin (AUS) – Gate 22
  • Boston (BOS) – Terminal B
  • Charlotte (CLT) – Concourses B and C
  • Chicago O'Hare (ORD) – Concourse H/K; Concourse G (re-opened August 2021); and Concourse L (re-opened July 2021)
  • Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW) – Terminals A, B, C, D, and E
  • Denver (DEN) – Concourse A
  • Houston Intercontinental (IAH) – Terminal A
  • Los Angeles (LAX) – Terminal 4, Terminal 5 and Eagle Regional Terminal
  • Mexico City / CDMX (MEX)
  • Miami (MIA) – Gates D15, D30
  • Nashville (BNA) – Concourse C
  • New York Kennedy (JFK) – Terminal 8 (in the Flagship® Lounge)
  • New York LaGuardia (LGA) – Concourse D
  • Orange County (SNA) – Gate 8
  • Orlando (MCO) – Gate 55
  • Paris, France (CDG)
  • Philadelphia (PHL) – Terminals B/C
  • Phoenix (PHX) – Gate A7 and B5
  • Raleigh / Durham (RDU) – Terminal 2
  • San Francisco (SFO) – Terminal 1
  • São Paulo (GRU)
  • St. Louis (STL) – Concourse C (Only open Monday - Friday 5am-6:30pm)
  • Tampa (TPA) – Gate 85
  • Washington Reagan (DCA) – Terminal B & C
  • Buenos Aires (EZE) - In front of Gate 8 - Terminal A
Hours will vary by location, and we may limit the capacity and offerings due to CDC guidelines or local orders or restrictions.

Clubs reopening as service centers

These locations are open as service centers and are available to offer travel assistance:
  • Pittsburgh (PIT) – Main Lobby
Hours vary by location and services like food and drinks, restrooms and shower facilities are temporarily discontinued.

Seating in these clubs is also not available at this time.

Temporarily closed Admirals Clubs

• Honolulu (HNL)
  • London Heathrow (LHR)
  • Miami (MIA) – Gates E
  • Newark (EWR)
  • Philadelphia (PHL) – Terminal A and F
  • Phoenix (PHX) – Gate A19
  • Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG)
  • Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Flagship® Lounge and Flagship® First DiningExpandFlagship® Lounges at these airports are temporarily closed. Flagship® Lounge eligible customers are welcome to use the nearby Admirals Club® in each location when it reopens on June 22.
  • Chicago (ORD)
  • Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW)
  • London Heathrow (LHR) – International First Class Lounge
  • Los Angeles (LAX)
  • Miami (MIA)
  • New York Kennedy (JFK)
Flagship® First Dining at these airports are temporarily closed:
  • DFW
  • LAX
  • MIA
  • JFK
Arrivals Lounge – London (LHR)ExpandThe Arrivals lounge is temporarily closed.

The official notification from AA on 4 Jun 2020 (link):

“American Airlines will begin reopening Admirals Club lounges in phases, beginning June 22, after making improvements to adapt the clubs and product offerings to reinforce the well-being of customers and everyone who works in the clubs. See post 61 for a recent Club experience.

The following locations (did) open June 22 with pre-packaged snack offerings and a full-service bar for customers to enjoy complimentary and premium beverages. Hours vary by location and capacity and offerings could be limited due to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines or local orders or restrictions. List updated 15 July 2020. Link to Club openings, changes.

As food and beverages are served again, these are discussed in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ug-2020-a.html

Food and drink service

As we begin to reopen, we'll have modified food and drink service. Here is what you can expect: (link to Club f&b thread)
  • Complimentary pre-packaged snacks
  • Disposable, single-use glassware
  • Full-service bar
  • Touchless menus with signage and QR codes. Physical menus will be available upon request.
  • Self-serve areas will remain closed for now.

.The following safety actions have been taken.
  • Plexiglass shields at reception and service desks.
  • Foot-operated door openers to enable touchless operation of restroom doors (where feasible).
  • Hand sanitizer stations for customers.
  • Signage and floor decals to remind customers to practice social distancing.
American will continue to adhere to CDC guidelines, use enhanced cleaning measures and provide limited food and beverage offerings to help ensure the well-being of customers and team members.”

Link to archived 2020 posts from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Admirals Club / Lounges: Openings, Closures, etc. 2021-2022

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 8:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Unfortunately, no. Your business class flight to the Bahamas is not qualifying for access to the AC.
I would think it does:
"For a limited time: Starting April 1, 2021, qualifying international flights will include flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico." https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp
and AA certainly lists ELH as a Caribbean destination. See, for example https://www.aa.com/en-us/flights-to-caribbean
Old May 2, 2022, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by slyspyder
We don't typically fly AA so I don't have experience with AC rules so am coming here for help. After help from this forum groups, we made the decision to book a flight that connects through CLT and I can't seem to figure out whether we will have AC access or not.

STL-CLT- ELH (bahamas) booked via AA.com
First STL-CLT and Business CLT-ELH. CLT-ELH leg says operated by PSA airlines as American Eagle.

We have a super early flight and about a 3 hour layover so would love a more comfortable place to hang out. Appreciate your help interpreting the AA rules.
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Unfortunately, no. Your business class flight to the Bahamas is not qualifying for access to the AC.
did this go away? Is Bahamas not "Caribbean" enough to qualify?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp

Qualifying First and Business

Includes customers in First or Business on a qualifying departing or arriving international, transcontinental or other domestic flight marketed and operated by American, a oneworld® airline or marketed by JetBlue and operated by American.

For a limited time: Starting April 1, 2021, qualifying international flights will include flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Possibly disappointing news to Kansas City area AA customers:

Delta has finalized the concession (with the city of KC) for the entire third-floor lounge space in the new MCI terminal, remote concourse. The original design had two lounges in that space, but it now appears it will be one, large (11,000 sqft) SkyClub.

While there may still be some restaurant space in the main terminal building that could be re-purposed as an Admirals Club, the lack of clarity from AA about their future at this airport is not encouraging.

With AA code-sharing AS nonstops to SEA and PDX, plus mainline flights to LAX, MIA and LGA, AA appeared at first to try to compete with DL at MCI. There had been rumors of BA to LHR also. Kansas City is one of the largest US markets without service to London. The lack of a lounge offering however indicates resignation to second-class status for the forseeable future.
Well, I may have spoken too soon...

The Aviation Department of the City of Kansas City released some change requests in its end-of-Q1 (2022) report, which includes the following announcement:
  • Design of additional lounge or retail shell space on the north end of Concourse A (use of Project Contingency)
American Airlines will be the legacy carrier in Concourse A (Delta and United are slotted for Concourse B). Perhaps we will see a return of the Admirals Club after all.
Old May 7, 2022, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Well, I may have spoken too soon...

The Aviation Department of the City of Kansas City released some change requests in its end-of-Q1 (2022) report, which includes the following announcement:
  • Design of additional lounge or retail shell space on the north end of Concourse A (use of Project Contingency)
American Airlines will be the legacy carrier in Concourse A (Delta and United are slotted for Concourse B). Perhaps we will see a return of the Admirals Club after all.
plus 3rd party lounge operators continue to expand: Escape, Amex, Capital One, Chase, "The Club" etc. AA could be doing an Admirals Club sometime, but it may be one of these other clubs too.
The existing MCI terminals are just sAAd. So cramped, ugly and inefficent. Will be happy to have that era be over, although I rarely have to fly to MCI.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by US @ DEN
OK, AC DEN agent confirms the move and new club will be constructed on C…maybe BA will arrive on A and be towed to C for departures lounge? Maybe B6 also moves to C as well to have all partners together?

The agent was happy that bathrooms will be inside the new lounge - can we hope for a shower?
More details emerging for AA's DEN move and new AC from airliners thread on DEN aviation:

"Eventually C30,32,34,36,38 will be the gates that go to AA, and their club is still under construction between C30 and 32." -- Credit DEN1895
VFR likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
More details emerging for AA's DEN move and new AC from airliners thread on DEN aviation:

"Eventually C30,32,34,36,38 will be the gates that go to AA, and their club is still under construction between C30 and 32." -- Credit DEN1895
Funny to think how AA was in C for years, decades even, and had their AC over there and it'll be like that again.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:44 pm

Hi all,

Any word in when CLT Concourse C is reopening?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Hi all,

Any word in when CLT Concourse C is reopening?
I asked an AC agent at the end of May who said the official word was the end of June but he was skeptical.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 4:05 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN, Hyatt, HHonors, Avis Pref+
No A/C in the STL AC

Here's the food selection at STL yesterday around 1400. Labels were present but everything was empty. The only things to eat were the snack mix in the towers, 3 oranges, and 2 apples.

The ticket counter agent mentioned when we checked our bags that the air conditioner hadn't been working in the club but he thought it was fixed. When we walked in there were industrial fans blowing air and it was very warm. Outside temps were ~100 and humid but the rest of the terminal was comfy. About 20 minutes after we arrived, the fire alarm went off. The 15-20 people in the club just stared at each other. We left and in the C concourse security area the fire alarm strobes were flashing but no alarm and people were still coming through. Decided not to go back into the club since the lack of A/C and food made it rather pointless.

Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Admirals Club
Are the DFW AC's typically open on a holiday? Specifically the upcoming 4th of July. Will be travelling through there and trying to decide on how much layover time I have.

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:09 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE

Glad they're staying near the middle of the C concourse, was "pleasured" with flying out of the new C gate extension this past weekend on WN (C62), while nice and open, once you get past the original gate blocks, the rest of the concourse is desolate of any restaurants, or any other concessions, I had to walk all the way back to the main atrium to grab a snack.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Nuked
Are the DFW AC's typically open on a holiday? Specifically the upcoming 4th of July. Will be travelling through there and trying to decide on how much layover time I have.

Thanks!
Yes, definitely -- AC and FL are open on all holidays. The only difference in offerings I've noticed is that the exhibition station in the FL is closed on major holidays.
Nuked likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:29 am

Any update on the new DCA lounge they were building?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
TPA AC

What a pleasure it is sitting here right now. There are 5 people in the entire lounge. I'm contemplating moving to the area so this would be a nice retreat compared to chaos DFW AC's. The staff here are so friendly too.

I don't really know why AA put a club here but I'm glad they did!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
What a pleasure it is sitting here right now. There are 5 people in the entire lounge. I'm contemplating moving to the area so this would be a nice retreat compared to chaos DFW AC's. The staff here are so friendly too.

I don't really know why AA put a club here but I'm glad they did!
It may have been legacy US based on the furniture? Pre COVID, the TPA club would get stacked in the evenings with flights to all of the hubs plus the BA flight to London. I used to go through there weekly for work and the AAgents were great when weather rolled through, which was often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.